Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 07:56 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So Evangelicals coming from a high of about 30% to in 1990 to about 23% is not a decline? Really? It sure the heck is not flatlined.
That 30% high was more of a fluke it looks like.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:24 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I am now confused. What is the theological difference between a black protestant and any other protestant?
Probably not very much. However, I have been noticing lately that on demographic lists, the two are separated.

The bigger difference exists between African American Evangelicals and white Evangelicals. White Evangelicals almost unanimously lean conservative, where as black Evangelicals lean towards the Democratic party.

I think separating them this way is silly.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:35 PM

88,511 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Probably not very much. However, I have been noticing lately that on demographic lists, the two are separated.

The bigger difference exists between African American Evangelicals and white Evangelicals. White Evangelicals almost unanimously lean conservative, where as black Evangelicals lean towards the Democratic party.

I think separating them this way is silly.
It is, and there is truth in the bolded, but it's not that black-and-white, no pun intended.

A'right, I'm lying, the pun was intended.

Religious black people I have known and loved tend to be conservative when it comes to things like gay marriage, because they are generally Bible literalists, but in that same literalist vein, they see social services and sharing of resources as being the ways of the first Christians per that same Bible, and they would not be wrong.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:55 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This, ladies and gentlemen, is what cognitive dissonance looks like.

From Wikipedia:

In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort (psychological stress) experienced by a person who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values. This discomfort is triggered by a situation in which a person’s belief clashes with new evidence perceived by the person. When confronted with facts that contradict beliefs, ideals, and values, people will find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce their discomfort.[1][2]

Old 03-30-2019, 09:21 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Here is a vid by Non-Stamp Collector that is hilarious and blows up the "no contradictions in the bible" in a mere 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk

There was a cute article (wish I'd saved the link) that was entitled "A Bible quiz You Cannot Pass" and it gave 30 questions or so that were multiple choice and no matter how you answered it you were sure to make the wrong choice because all the answers were in contradiction with each other. In the end you couldn't get a score high than 0. Which of course demonstrated how hopelessly contradictory the Bible is. And the Christians keep insisting the Bible is the PERFECT word of God--direct from God's own mouth, if that isn't the laugh of the century! But they sincerely believe it is and all the contradictory evidence in the world will never convince them otherwise. I know there is a pathological condition at work there but I'm not sure which one it is.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:39 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
I have seen many None-style sentiments which are essentially what I would call Liberal Christianity. Or even just non-denominational Christianity. That is mixed in with the atheists and agnostics.
I hear things like "I don't allow church to destroy my faith" and I can see how that resonates with people. My conservative protestant church takes political and social positions that have little to do with religion or elemental Christian teaching. I still count myself as a church member but find some of these positions to be unworthy of a religious body and damaging or toxic to a feeling of membership -- and driving people away from organized Christian denominations. My church is far from the worst offender and I can still support the things they do well while ignoring other things. Some friends are less tolerant (or more principled in their minds) and have left the church. In this instance it has nothing to do with atheism or agnosticism but a parting of ways on church political or social pronouncements...not faith. It is more Dissenting Christianity than Liberal Christianity.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:04 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Do you have evidence that it was a fluke?

Old 03-30-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Do you have evidence that it was a fluke?
Just look at it. It was clearly a one year period where Catholics identified as Evangelicals for whatever reason. I mentioned that in an earlier post also. Maybe they were upset with the abuse in the church, like Sinead O'Connor brought light to.

But then those Catholics went back to RC the next year. Why would that NOT be a fluke? Are you serious?

Old 03-30-2019, 11:14 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Just look at it. It was clearly a one year period where Catholics identified as Evangelicals for whatever reason. I mentioned that in an earlier post also. Maybe they were upset with the abuse in the church, like Sinead O'Connor brought light to.

But then those Catholics went back to RC the next year. Why would that NOT be a fluke? Are you serious?
You'll believe any fantastic bible story without question, but you question data.

And there's nothing wrong with questioning data...but there is something wrong with not having any ammunition when you do it.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You'll believe any fantastic bible story without question, but you question data.

And there's nothing wrong with questioning data...but there is something wrong with not having any ammunition when you do it.
What have I questioned about the data? I only refuted the statement that implied that evangelicals were at a 30% high at one time, presumably for a significant amount of time. That's just not true as I've explained and as anyone can see when presented with the data. It was misleading to say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality