Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 12:56 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Fish is the only one who had the courage to respond. That just shows your side only cares about ego stroking and Christian bashing. You can't handle a fair equal debate.
So if only one responds, the rest are too cowardly. If more than that respond we are ganging up? So far three or so have responded. Is that too hot or is it too cold or is that Just Right? Or is there no Right -just two ways of being wrong so you can play the 'persecuted martyr' card? Jeff we were out jogging before you even got up.

Quote:
Oh so now you are going with I deserved it? Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. It is sad that ANY ABUSE is occurring. Why can't your side just respectfully disagree? No, you have to throw a hissy fit. I have yet to meet a single true friendly atheist. NEVER ONCE! I will continue to work to expose the ugliness and lies that come from camp including claiming that I am never personally attacked. That one really takes the cake.
This is where we came in. When you claim to be attacked it has looked to me (I can't check every post, and some may cross the line) as though they are pointing out that you are wrong, refusing to admit that you are wrong and being abusive yourself. You don't have clean hands in this even if your accusations are true. You don't have a a good track record on that.

Never mind that personal abuse online breaks no bones. I find that the best response is to show that they are wrong. The abuse just makes them look worse. I wouldn't use huffiness as a smokescreen for covering up that I lost an argument, which is what it looks like you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The reactions from every single Atheist rests in your hands, their reactions begin with a thought in your head, you post that thought, and they react. Atheists are not living with the same standards and limits that limit a Christian, if you say something unloving and you get an unloving answer, that is on you Jeff, you are to be an example of love and forgiveness above what normal people are. If you get slapped, dont slap back, somebody curses you, bless them, and if you can't agreement with everything, smile and be on your way and agree to disagree.

I am not always as kind with Christians because they are Christians, but with Atheists, there is no reason to be as enemies. If somebody is offended by something you said, it's because you said something in an offensive way. I never hardly ever have any problem with Atheists. I can understand why they come, and why they should really have a say.
Relax fellas - we're in the clear, off the hook, and in the money; we bin given a free pass by the Flavian .

Old 04-14-2019, 01:41 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,725 times
Quote:
Fish is the only one who had the courage to respond. That just shows your side only cares about ego stroking and Christian bashing. You can't handle a fair equal debate.
Do you get told to "grow up" a lot?

Old 04-14-2019, 02:00 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Most the atheists I know want to know what the truth is, and are very willing to go where that evidence leads them. I want to know what is the best truth out there, and at this point, all that evidence points to no deity or deities.

Beliefs are not truths, as they can not be reliably replicated. We all know that water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level. It doesn't matter who tries it, the result is always the same. The same can not be stated about any faith based belief system.

In fact, if all physics and all faith belief evidence was to disappear today, in a 1000 years any of the physics that is rediscovered will look exactly as it does today. Any faith based system would look drastically different, just like today's faith based religions look drastically different than they did in the past.
I have no argument with anything you said. It's factual.

What you don't seem to be grasping is what my old writing teacher called the "so-what? test". Putting aside the obvious with which many thinking believers of all sorts agree--separation of church and state, forced prayer in schools, the right to NOT believe in any supernatural, prejudices again certain members of society--so what if people's beliefs and/or encounters with the unexplainable are unprovable and subjective or change?

I know I can't prove my experiences or thoughts about anything supernatural to you. I know they have happened, and I know other people who accepted what I told them about my experiences who agree that they are not something that can be explained. I know they can't be demonstrated or show consistency like boiling water.

So what? I never claimed they could be in the first place.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have no argument with anything you said. It's factual.

What you don't seem to be grasping is what my old writing teacher called the "so-what? test". Putting aside the obvious with which many thinking believers of all sorts agree--separation of church and state, forced prayer in schools, the right to NOT believe in any supernatural, prejudices again certain members of society--so what if people's beliefs and/or encounters with the unexplainable are unprovable and subjective or change?

I know I can't prove my experiences or thoughts about anything supernatural to you. I know they have happened, and I know other people who accepted what I told them about my experiences who agree that they are not something that can be explained. I know they can't be demonstrated or show consistency like boiling water.

So what?
So what is that you and Normstate essentially have no quarrel. The experience is hardly deniable. The interpretation is arguable. Norm may approach it (as i would) through a medical -biological line. You (as indeed mystic phd) may say that is simply missing the right approach.

Norm (and I) would say that it is the approach that has revealed insights in the past and shows better hope for understanding what this stuff is in the future.

So, that. That is why we would go for that approach as is why we would not be impressed by the 'something mysterious' argument. Something mysterious' is something unknown and unexplained and - so far as we can see - likely to remain so, because the science is not being applied. How can it be when it is considered irrelevant?

But to those who reckon they are finding all they know, all they need to know and anything anyone could know through the sheer experience, we'd say 'Fine'. Just don't tell us that we are doing it wrong, that we are are misguided, unseeing, even dumb, for doing it the other way.

Not that you would do that, which is why, essentially, we have no problem at all with you, nor you with us.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:19 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
I didn't DM with you because past experiences with doing that we you have, I believe not been productive on either side. And I think you at least once told me to leave you alone. Those are the two reasons I did not take you up on your challege.

If you wish for me to take up your challenge, you will first have to message me that it's OK with you. I will not make the first move because of your asking me not to contact you. Your choice.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:51 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Oh so now you are going with I deserved it? Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. It is sad that ANY ABUSE is occurring. Why can't your side just respectfully disagree? No, you have to throw a hissy fit. I have yet to meet a single true friendly atheist. NEVER ONCE! I will continue to work to expose the ugliness and lies that come from camp including claiming that I am never personally attacked. That one really takes the cake.
Jeezuz, Jeff do you EVER stop crying?

Old 04-14-2019, 02:58 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Jeezuz, Jeff do you EVER stop crying?
Can you stop attacking and criticizing Jeff for one day, especially on one of the Christian Holy Days - Palm Sunday?

Old 04-14-2019, 03:11 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Why on Earth would I want to have a private debate with you? Why would anyone?

Old 04-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Can you stop attacking and criticizing Jeff for one day, especially on one of the Christian Holy Days - Palm Sunday?
That's the advantage of being atheist - all days are a celebration day for us. And all the time God -bods are going to come here and stick their chins out, we are going to swipe them. If they want to take the day off for their celebration of Jesus' Tabernacles procession which for some reason they think was on Pesach, then their chins will be absent and we won't hit them.
So the solution is in their hands, not ours.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:51 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's the advantage of being atheist - all days are a celebration day for us. And all the time God -bods are going to come here and stick their chins out, we are going to swipe them. If they want to take the day off for their celebration of Jesus' Tabernacles procession which for some reason they think was on Pesach, then their chins will be absent and we won't hit them.
So the solution is in their hands, not ours.
You are a cruel man. Where is your heart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality