U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

4,084 posts, read 744,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The first poster to respond to the OP IS Muslim.
Thank you for reminding me, I had forgot. But my point still stands, Ozzy was only talking about the Bible. Which is a problem when two other religions have (in theory) the same god, but use different religious texts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

6,300 posts, read 5,919,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The God of Abraham was the one who led Abraham away from his father's religion.

Abraham followed God in his own unique way, in ways that he learned by a personal relationship not depending upon other people's information. For Abraham's seed to bless all future peoples, then they would also need to have their own personal relationship with this same God. Such that even members of these major religions are blessed whenever they interact in this personal relationship.

Maybe that is what Jesus meant when he responded to the Pharisees who asked him about the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jesus said that it was the God "of the living, not the dead" whom they should follow.

Maybe what it really means is that the patriarchs should only be our models of inspiration in following God on our own in the same way that they did, and not by listening to other people's own stories. Because all stories are eventually stories about dead people. But God is for the living, not the dead.

What do you think of this proposal?
I'd rather listen to "other people's own stories that are eventually stories about dead people" if it's all the same to you.

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

10,000 posts, read 12,447,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Again, which god?
There is only one. I learned in middle school history of all places that all religions were different aspects of the same God.

But I know that idea bothers you because it probably doesn't fit into the "divide and conquer" strategy that I image atheistic fundies must love trying to use.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

21,183 posts, read 9,874,854 times
Quote:
There is only one. I learned in middle school history of all places that all religions were different aspects of the same God.

But I know that idea bothers you because it probably doesn't fit into the "divide and conquer" strategy that I image atheistic fundies must love trying to use.
No. The Buddhist religion is not a god-based religion.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

21,183 posts, read 9,874,854 times
Quote:

I'm glad you and the Jehovah Witnesses are so buddy buddy. Peas in a pod.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM

5,544 posts, read 2,170,970 times
Quote:

Are the religions with multiple God's the same as the God of all the monotheism ones? Is the Goddess that is the diety of some pagan religions the same God? The God of the Diest which is non interference the same as the personal god of most religions which gets personally involved,

Honest questions because I was never taught that so without asking I am left without your knowledge. Is the only one God accepted by most theist?

Is this another of your neutral posts that any questioning or refuting will be viewed as another attack? Assume that divide and conquer is your own wonderful idea. Guess it's atheists behind all the religious wars and the New Zealand mosque shooting, trying to divide the unfortunate believers who never are able to live in peace.

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

4,122 posts, read 1,513,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Note that I'm saying this as a poster, not as a mod, but is it really necessary to bring "is there any evidence of God" into every single thread on R&S?

That's not the point of the OP's post. It's coming from the assumption that God exists, yes, but it's not necessary to prove the existence of a God (or of Abraham or Adam for that matter) to continue the conversation.

There are several religions that trace their origins to the story of a man named Abraham who left his polytheistic homeland after being contacted by who he came to believe was the one true God and from which these monotheistic religions sprang. Discussion of the nature of that God is appropriate for this forum.

Why not save the "prove God exists!" stuff for the threads dedicated to that discussion.
I am out of giving you reps - but Thanks!

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

10,000 posts, read 12,447,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are the religions with multiple God's the same as the God of all the monotheism ones? Is the Goddess that is the diety of some pagan religions the same God? The God of the Diest which is non interference the same as the personal god of most religions which gets personally involved,
Just read what I said again, and you will see that your question doesn't even apply.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM

5,544 posts, read 2,170,970 times
Quote:
Just read what I said again, and you will see that your question doesn't even apply.

Nice to be told that by the Worlds top authority of God's and goddesses.

Old Today, 03:31 AM

14,827 posts, read 10,088,139 times
Quote:
Because my question is directed for the main Religion forum, which is primarily atheist.
Well if this forum is primarily atheist, anyone with half a brain cell would have expected a backlash when starting a thread with a positive claim about a god - dontcha think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or