U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 03:41 AM
Status: "Pr 6:16-19, JeffBase, Pneuma!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Germany
4,084 posts, read 744,328 times
Reputation: 639

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There is only one. I learned in middle school history of all places that all religions were different aspects of the same God.
John 8:44, the Jews are of Yahweh, the father of lies, Jesus is of the good father god. Two gods. Why do you think the Gnostics liked this passage?

The different aspects is just an ad hoc excuse to get around the fact that the many different gods is evidence people invent gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
But I know that idea bothers you because it probably doesn't fit into the "divide and conquer" strategy that I image atheistic fundies must love trying to use.
It bothers me that you have to ignore the evidence with an ad hoc excuse; and then invent a straw man to blame me for your need to invent the excuse in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 03:51 AM
 
3,828 posts, read 2,476,561 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well if this forum is primarily atheist, anyone with half a brain cell would have expected a backlash when starting a thread with a positive claim about a god - dontcha think?
It is amazing that anyone with any positive claims/thoughts about religion, spirituality, believers and/or Gods would post anything of that nature here. Now that's a real glutton for punishment, especially with the retired posters (the been there, did that already crowd) who have nothing but time on their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:25 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
14,827 posts, read 10,088,139 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It is amazing that anyone with any positive claims/thoughts about religion, spirituality, believers and/or Gods would post anything of that nature here. Now that's a real glutton for punishment, especially with the retired posters (the been there, did that already crowd) who have nothing but time on their hands.
Someone has to guard the city gates when the youngsters are at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:32 AM
 
3,828 posts, read 2,476,561 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Someone has to guard the city gates when the youngsters are at work.
Yes, those who have the t-shirts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:34 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
10,850 posts, read 10,776,185 times
Reputation: 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There is only one. I learned in middle school history of all places that all religions were different aspects of the same God.

But I know that idea bothers you because it probably doesn't fit into the "divide and conquer" strategy that I image atheistic fundies must love trying to use.
I have to challenge this statement.

You said you learned in middle school history that all religions were different aspects of the same God.

By the time United States school systems were using middle schools instead of junior high schools (late 1980s & 1990s), virtually nothing about religion was being said in schools because they were afraid of violating the Supreme Court ruling prohibiting the school employees from sanctioning prayer or religious activities in schools. (That happened in the 1960s.)

To accept your statement, I would want to see some evidence that this concept was being taught in middle school history class.

There is no such thing as atheist fundies.

I don't think you have any concept of how the atheists think. This is evidenced by your bizarre statement in another thread that atheists just hate God.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:50 AM
 
10,000 posts, read 12,447,837 times
Reputation: 3595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I have to challenge this statement.

You said you learned in middle school history that all religions were different aspects of the same God.

By the time United States school systems were using middle schools instead of junior high schools (late 1980s & 1990s), virtually nothing about religion was being said in schools because they were afraid of violating the Supreme Court ruling prohibiting the school employees from sanctioning prayer or religious activities in schools. (That happened in the 1960s.)

To accept your statement, I would want to see some evidence that this concept was being taught in middle school history class.

There is no such thing as atheist fundies.

I don't think you have any concept of how the atheists think. This is evidenced by your bizarre statement in another thread that atheists just hate God.
It wasn't officially "taught" to us. All I know is that I remember hearing a teacher say something briefly about this in the 80's. I remember him being kind of liberal, and it could have been outside the scope of the subject. He was probably trying to suggest to the kids that people in other cultures were not really that different from us. That was my worst subject so that was the only thing I remember hearing. And it made sense. I'm sorry that atheists can't comprehend the idea, because it does make sense to many theists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:23 AM
Status: "Pr 6:16-19, JeffBase, Pneuma!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Germany
4,084 posts, read 744,328 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It wasn't officially "taught" to us. All I know is that I remember hearing a teacher say something briefly about this in the 80's. I remember him being kind of liberal, and it could have been outside the scope of the subject. He was probably trying to suggest to the kids that people in other cultures were not really that different from us. That was my worst subject so that was the only thing I remember hearing. And it made sense. I'm sorry that atheists can't comprehend the idea, because it does make sense to many theists.
We DO comprehend the idea. We also know it is just an ad hoc excuse to pretend this teleological need to invent different gods is really just 'the one true god'; because you do not like the idea that people invent gods that do not really exist.

But if the idea that a god who was the son of himself kept eating his children (who with your excuse must have been himself), until he as his sister rescued himself as his son from himself as his father, and then saved all his brothers and sisters (who must have been both himself and their father at the same time), if this makes sense to you, I must congratulate you on your mental powers. - Name the god. Er, gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:31 AM
 
10,000 posts, read 12,447,837 times
Reputation: 3595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
We DO comprehend the idea. We also know it is just an ad hoc excuse to pretend this teleological need to invent different gods is really just 'the one true god'; because you do not like the idea that people invent gods that do not really exist.

But if the idea that a god who was the son of himself kept eating his children (who with your excuse must have been himself), until he as his sister rescued himself as his son from himself as his father, and then saved all his brothers and sisters (who must have been both himself and their father at the same time), if this makes sense to you, I must congratulate you on your mental powers. - Name the god. Er, gods.
Harry,

You don't seem to understand anything about religion, or even about anything that is truly important. Your tone is always mocking something that is important to many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,183 posts, read 9,874,854 times
Reputation: 19748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well if this forum is primarily atheist, anyone with half a brain cell would have expected a backlash when starting a thread with a positive claim about a god - dontcha think?
Several of our christians can't handle it when they're no longer in the majority. They've never experienced it. And so they have a gut wrenching reaction outside of their own echo chamber.

I was a pretty open-minded person, but when I first began going to Southeast Asia, and then living there for a couple of years, adjusting to being in the minority was quite a challenge at first. There were times I would be in villages where I was told I was the only white person who had ever visited there. Even in Bangkok, there might be one white face out of several thousand people.

I remember one day when I met a monk who invited me to his rather poor, out of the way temple. He and two other monks wanted me to help them learn better English, and during the afternoon, one of them asked me to explain christianity. When I gave them the extreme reader's digest version and told them about the crucifixion and resurrection, they began laughing out loud...not in rudeness...they really thought it was very funny. I'd love to see Jeff and Jimmie and Ozzy experience that; it would be funny watching their heads explode.

Being in the minority is something they can't handle...even just here on the forum...let alone in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:04 AM
 
10,000 posts, read 12,447,837 times
Reputation: 3595
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Several of our christians can't handle it when they're no longer in the majority. They've never experienced it. And so they have a gut wrenching reaction outside of their own echo chamber.

I was a pretty open-minded person, but when I first began going to Southeast Asia, and then living there for a couple of years, adjusting to being in the minority was quite a challenge at first. There were times I would be in villages where I was told I was the only white person who had ever visited there. Even in Bangkok, there might be one white face out of several thousand people.

I remember one day when I met a monk who invited me to his rather poor, out of the way temple. He and two other monks wanted me to help them learn better English, and during the afternoon, one of them asked me to explain christianity. When I gave them the extreme reader's digest version and told them about the crucifixion and resurrection, they began laughing out loud...not in rudeness...they really thought it was very funny. I'd love to see Jeff and Jimmie and Ozzy experience that; it would be funny watching their heads explode.

Being in the minority is something they can't handle...even just here on the forum...let alone in real life.
I'm not impressed with any so-called "monk" or religious person who would laugh about other people's sacred beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top