U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

4,085 posts, read 744,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Harry,

You don't seem to understand anything about religion, or even about anything that is truly important.
To you, maybe not. But that says more about you than me.

Quote:
Your tone is always mocking something that is important to many people.
Trust me, your posts are important to no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

21,186 posts, read 9,874,854 times
Quote:
I'm not impressed with any so-called "monk" or religious person who would laugh about other people's sacred beliefs.
You may not be. But what do you think about the dream of a multi-tusked elephant entering Maya's side. Sound logical to you, or a little goofy?

Well, the resurrection thing sounds pretty silly to others.

But I'm sure, Ozzy, that you give full respect and deference to the various Hindu gods and the various American Indian beliefs about where their people came from.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

4,085 posts, read 744,328 times
Quote:
I'm not impressed with any so-called "monk" or religious person who would laugh about other people's sacred beliefs.
You do not think some other religious beliefs are funny? Chinese gods shooting laser like weapons out of their nose? A god given a stone to make him stop eating his own babies? A man living 3 days in a fish? Oh, wait ...

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

5,544 posts, read 2,170,970 times
Quote:
It wasn't officially "taught" to us. All I know is that I remember hearing a teacher say something briefly about this in the 80's. I remember him being kind of liberal, and it could have been outside the scope of the subject. He was probably trying to suggest to the kids that people in other cultures were not really that different from us. That was my worst subject so that was the only thing I remember hearing. And it made sense. I'm sorry that atheists can't comprehend the idea, because it does make sense to many theists.

See I asked questions trying to find out how your teacher was able to teach that all the different types and numbers of gods could all be just one. But you dismissed the question. That you were indeed not actually taught but simply told does answer why

If there is a God I would not expect it to be the one of any of the religiins. You are being dishonest if you claim that atheists cannot comprehend that notion. It makes perfect sense that if there is a God, and that is the big IF, that thete is only one and is not represented by any of the religions.

What doesn't make sense is your claim of having been taught that when you were told not tsught. What also doesn't make sense us that you immediately jumped on us for not comprehending when you actually were misrepresenting both your education on the matter and once again atheists.

In conclusion I understand and accept that if there is a God that there is only one. Due to lack of evidence I don't believe in one at this moment. It makes more sense than does Christianity, Judaism or Hindu but still no satisfactory evidence for that one God.

What else has no evidence is that atheists cannot comprehend this idea or that we are dividing to conquer religions. Both are wrong assertions on your part. And it took several of us questioning you for the actual truth to be revealed, it was mentioned rather than taught. We ask questions in order to understand rather in than simply acceptING without reason whatever someone says. And you seem to have problems with that. And problems not twisting everything as a way to attack and insult atheists.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

10,785 posts, read 10,993,193 times
Richard Dawlins justifiably described yahweh thus:

Quote:
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."
Redact the Old Testament to exclude all these disgusting qualities a dimwitted lunkhead like yahweh possesses and then we might have something to talk about. Until then, your suggestions don't even begin to touch the problems with the Old Testament.

Last edited by thrillobyte; Yesterday at 09:44 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

15,863 posts, read 7,976,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Richard Dawlins justifiably described yahweh thus:

Redact the Old Testament to exclude all these disgusting qualities a dimwitted lunkhead like yahweh possesses and then we might have something to talk about. Until then, your suggestions don't even begin to touch the problems with the Old Testament.
Of course his suggestion in the O.P. does just that since the suggestion was not to take the word of people who claimed that God is "jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The God of Abraham was the one who led Abraham away from his father's religion.

Abraham followed God in his own unique way, in ways that he learned by a personal relationship not depending upon other people's information. For Abraham's seed to bless all future peoples, then they would also need to have their own personal relationship with this same God. Such that even members of these major religions are blessed whenever they interact in this personal relationship.

Maybe that is what Jesus meant when he responded to the Pharisees who asked him about the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jesus said that it was the God "of the living, not the dead" whom they should follow.

Maybe what it really means is that the patriarchs should only be our models of inspiration in following God on our own in the same way that they did, and not by listening to other people's own stories. Because all stories are eventually stories about dead people. But God is for the living, not the dead.

What do you think of this proposal?

Quote:
Richard Dawkins justifiably described yahweh thus:

Quote:
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Of course his suggestion in the O.P. does just that since the suggestion was not to take the word of people who claimed that God is "jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Quote:

I must be missing something in Ozzy's OP, Pleroo .Is there anywhere in there where Ozzy suggests scraping yahweh's bad characteristics and revamping the Old Testament to exclude them? I can't see it. Please quote exactly what Ozzy says that is in complete agreement with my suggestion.

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I must be missing something in Ozzy's OP, Pleroo .Is there anywhere in there where Ozzy suggests scraping yahweh's bad characteristics and revamping the Old Testament to exclude them? I can't see it. Please quote exactly what Ozzy says that is in complete agreement with my suggestion.
Second sentence:

"...Abraham followed God in his own unique way, in ways that he learned by a personal relationship not depending upon other people's information..."

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Second sentence:

"...Abraham followed God in his own unique way, in ways that he learned by a personal relationship not depending upon other people's information..."
I can't see anything of my suggestion in Ozzy's sentence there. Sorry, Pleroo. All I see is, "Have a personal relationship with yahweh, don't rely on other people's information about him". I don't have to rely on Dawkin's assessment of yahweh. I can see yahweh's megalomania for myself in a thousand places when I read the Old Testament:

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live” - Exodus 22:18

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son...stone him with stones, that he dies" Deuteronomy 21:18-21

I wouldn't want to have a relationship with such a god. He's a pagan god anyway.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I can't see anything of my suggestion in Ozzy's sentence there. Sorry, Pleroo. All I see is, "Have a personal relationship with yahweh, don't rely on other people's information about him". I don't have to rely on Dawkin's assessment of yahweh. I can see yahweh's megalomania for myself in a thousand places when I read the Old Testament:

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live - Exodus 22:18

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son...stone him with stones, that he dies" Deuteronomy 21:18-21

I wouldn't want to have a relationship with such a god. He's a pagan god anyway.
You're quoting from other people's information about God, Thrill. Ozzy's suggestion was that you not take those people's word that those things have anything to do with God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or