Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 06:34 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,578 times

Advertisements

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrqLV4yeiw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 06:42 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
This thread is a perfect example of what's always going on with the atheists here. They just want to redirect EVERY new thread into the stuff they want Christians to talk about, even if it has nothing to do with the OP. They don't seem to care what the OP subject is even about. They just want it to become another part of their ongoing debate.

It sucks.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:46 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This thread is a perfect example of what's always going on with the atheists here. They just want to redirect EVERY new thread into the stuff they want Christians to talk about, even if it has nothing to do with the OP. They don't seem to care what the OP subject is even about. They just want it to become another part of their ongoing debate.

It sucks.
This particular thread -- about a new understanding of the Abrahamic God -- belonged up in the sub-forum, where those interested in the Abrahmaic God could have participated. That is the christianity thread. But you seem to enjoy getting beat up over your posts, so you put it in a sub-forum that was far less than ideal...as you indicate in your post.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This particular thread -- about a new understanding of the Abrahamic God -- belonged up in the sub-forum, where those interested in the Abrahmaic God could have participated. That is the christianity thread. But you seem to enjoy getting beat up over your posts, so you put it in a sub-forum that was far less than ideal...as you indicate in your post.
The Abraham God is part of THREE major religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Your request is further proof that atheistic bullies want to control the main R/S forum, and not allow any discussion of interfaith issues.

Sorry, but until the rules inevitably get modified to prohibit theistic discussion here, you and the other immature bullies are going to have to live with it.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:09 PM

372 posts, read 219,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Maybe we should go one step further, and determine whether god actually exists.

Any evidence is welcome.
DISCLAIMER: Below is a reply to the post quoted above, not an invitation to debate with theists .This because such debates get nowhere. Theist claims "there is a god". (positive claim, attracts the burden of proof) I say prove it. Of course, it's an unfalsifiable claim, cannot be proved or disproved. No debate is possible. A waste of everyone's time

Yup,yup. The existence of god is always a sticking point for me.

Christianity is one the three Abrahamic Religions ; Judaisms, Christianity and Islam. Each worship the same god YaHWeH

Of course we can add the fact that the god YaHWeH was lifted from the Chaldeans, and that he originally had a wife, called Asherah.

The Noah myth seems to have been lifted from "The Epic Of Gilgamesh (Sumerian)

Some of the code of Hammurabi has some remarkable similarities to parts of Mosaic Law .(which has 613 commandments, not 10)

Canaanites/ Hebrews/ Israelite were not even monotheistic until well after the putative exodus.

References;

Concerning the exodus, monotheism of Judaism, and a lot of other nifty stuff.. The wiki article is worth reading, the book even more so

"The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts, a book published in 2001, discusses the archaeology of Israel and its relationship to the origins and content of the Hebrew Bible. The authors are Israel Finkelstein, Professor of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University, and Neil Asher Silberman, an archaeologist, historian and contributing editor to Archaeology Magazine."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_Unearthed

The wife of god?: Wiki article worth reading, as is the book

"Did God Have a Wife?: Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel, (Eerdmans, ISBN 0-8028-2852-3, 2005),[1] is a book by Syro-Palestinian archaeologist William G. Dever, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Archeology and Anthropology at the University of Arizona. Did God Have a Wife? was intended as a popular work making available to the general public the evidence long known to archaeologists regarding ancient Israelite religion: namely that the Israelite god of antiquity (before 600 BCE), Yahweh, had a consort, that her name was Asherah, and that she was part of the Canaanite pantheon"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Did_God_Have_a_Wife%3F

Old 04-08-2019, 07:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:

Maybe what it really means is that the patriarchs should only be our models of inspiration in following God on our own in the same way that they did, and not by listening to other people's own stories. Because all stories are eventually stories about dead people. But God is for the living, not the dead.

What do you think of this proposal?
I don’t understand what you mean. Do you mean, “only the patriarchs” instead of “the patriarchs should only be our models”? And if all stories are about dead people, surely the patriarch’s stories are also about people themselves long dead?

And Jesus’ statement about God being the God of the living was a statement in proof of resurrection. I am not sure about your application.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
The Abraham God is part of THREE major religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Your request is further proof that atheistic bullies want to control the main R/S forum, and not allow any discussion of interfaith issues.

Sorry, but until the rules inevitably get modified to prohibit theistic discussion here, you and the other immature bullies are going to have to live with it.
I was going to say that you made a good point, but somehow you would twist that to make me look bad...cause I'm EVIL.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t understand what you mean. Do you mean, “only the patriarchs” instead of “the patriarchs should only be our models”? And if all stories are about dead people, surely the patriarch’s stories are also about people themselves long dead?
The patriarchs each had a personal relationship with the living God. So, if a person says he follows the God of "Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob," what he should be doing is following God in his own unique way. But I don't think my idea is ever going to get off the ground. I was just trying to show a new way of interpreting the Bible.

But it's sad that people want to discuss obscure Old Testament passage that no Christian even cares about or takes seriously like they seem to think. Are the atheists aware that Christians hand out free Bibles with only the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs? The rest of the OT is removed.

Why not try to understand just ONE book in the Old Testament, and not worry about what else is included? It's such a futile debate that honestly no one but the atheists even care about.

I wish they would understand this: No one else cares.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:40 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Phetaroi, I can't take you seriously. So I'm not even going to try to respond to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In other words...once again...you got nothing.

Quote:
Yes. Whatever you say, I'll go along.

Ozzy, you just gave me an idea for a new thread. I'm tired of Christians' underhandedness when they're cornered by logic.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:45 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
DISCLAIMER: Below is a reply to the post quoted above, not an invitation to debate with theists .This because such debates get nowhere. Theist claims "there is a god". (positive claim, attracts the burden of proof) I say prove it. Of course, it's an unfalsifiable claim, cannot be proved or disproved. No debate is possible. A waste of everyone's time

Yup,yup. The existence of god is always a sticking point for me.

Christianity is one the three Abrahamic Religions ; Judaisms, Christianity and Islam. Each worship the same god YaHWeH

Of course we can add the fact that the god YaHWeH was lifted from the Chaldeans, and that he originally had a wife, called Asherah.

The Noah myth seems to have been lifted from "The Epic Of Gilgamesh (Sumerian)

Some of the code of Hammurabi has some remarkable similarities to parts of Mosaic Law .(which has 613 commandments, not 10)

Canaanites/ Hebrews/ Israelite were not even monotheistic until well after the putative exodus.

References;

Concerning the exodus, monotheism of Judaism, and a lot of other nifty stuff.. The wiki article is worth reading, the book even more so

"The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts, a book published in 2001, discusses the archaeology of Israel and its relationship to the origins and content of the Hebrew Bible. The authors are Israel Finkelstein, Professor of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University, and Neil Asher Silberman, an archaeologist, historian and contributing editor to Archaeology Magazine."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_Unearthed

The wife of god?: Wiki article worth reading, as is the book

"Did God Have a Wife?: Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel, (Eerdmans, ISBN 0-8028-2852-3, 2005),[1] is a book by Syro-Palestinian archaeologist William G. Dever, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Archeology and Anthropology at the University of Arizona. Did God Have a Wife? was intended as a popular work making available to the general public the evidence long known to archaeologists regarding ancient Israelite religion: namely that the Israelite god of antiquity (before 600 BCE), Yahweh, had a consort, that her name was Asherah, and that she was part of the Canaanite pantheon"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Did_God_Have_a_Wife%3F

You see, this is one of the inconvenient truths that Christians have to lie about or try to cover up to protect their faith. It's totally unethical but the Christian can't see how dishonest they are being. That's why I say, "Atheists/skeptics/agnostics have the truth. Christian have to fight the truth with lies".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality