U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:51 AM

27,346 posts, read 14,694,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thrill, expecting detailed specifics in the inspired interpretations by an ancient primitive intended to outline our species' SPIRITUAL evolution over a vast time span would be ludicrous. The highlights that are sufficiently striking to me in hindsight:

From Isaiah 52:15

. . . He shall sprinkle many nations, kings shall shut their mouth at him: For they to whom it was not told of him, have seen; and they that heard not, have beheld. [The entire European continent of nations (and their kings) would seem to validate this prophecy about Christ.]

From Isaiah 55:4

. . . Behold I have given him for a witness to the people, for a leader and master of the gentiles. [The numerous "Gentile" religions based on Christ certainly validates this prophecy.]

From Isaiah 55:5

. . . Behold thou shalt call a nation which thou knewest not; and the nations that knew not thee shall run to thee, because of the Lord thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel, for he hath glorified thee. [The creation of the nation of Israel out of Palestine in 1948 by the "Gentiles" certainly validates this prophecy.]

From Isaiah 60:1

. . . Arise, be enlightened, O Jerusalem: For thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee . . . And the Gentiles shall walk in thy light . . . Then shalt thou see and abound, and thy heart shall wonder and be enlarged, when the multitude of the sea shall be converted to thee, the strength of the Gentiles shall come to thee.[The continued and significant support of the nation of Israel by the "strength" of the United States and other "Gentile" nations seems to cover this one.]

PS. Remember these prophesies were made some 700-800 years BEFORE the birth of Christ.

None of this has anything to do with your Jesus...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM

37,609 posts, read 10,202,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Thank you. This is the old business of quotemining out of context. Read the whole passages and it is all about the wars with Assyria. Odd bits that can look vaguely like recent events can be taken out of the context and presented as though recent events is what it is. I've even seen Ezekiel presented as a vision of the aftermath of an atomic bomb -blast.

It's even easier with Jesus, as the Jesus -story can be adapted to fit the IO. Like John invented a leg breaking and spear -stab (unknown to the synoptic gospels) because he could lift a passage out of Psalms that could be made to look like a crucifixion.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

38,962 posts, read 26,224,682 times
Quote:
Thank you for that explanation.

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you. This is the old business of quotemining out of context. Read the whole passages and it is all about the wars with Assyria. Odd bits that can look vaguely like recent events can be taken out of the context and presented as though recent events is what it is. I've even seen Ezekiel presented as a vision of the aftermath of an atomic bomb -blast.

It's even easier with Jesus, as the Jesus -story can be adapted to fit the IO. Like John invented a leg breaking and spear -stab (unknown to the synoptic gospels) because he could lift a passage out of Psalms that could be made to look like a crucifixion.
You will never understand prophecy because you think it is about worldly events. You simply don't get that they are SPIRITUAL and require spiritual-minded interpretation not worldly and carnal-minded interpretation. It is all about how our understanding of God is to evolve.

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

4,142 posts, read 759,413 times
Quote:

Of course it does. This is the material the fictional gospel Jesus was invented out of .

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

Quote:
You will never understand prophecy because you think it is about worldly events. You simply don't get that they are SPIRITUAL and require spiritual-minded interpretation not worldly and carnal-minded interpretation. It is all about how our understanding of God is to evolve.
Our mindsets are evidently too different to permit of profitable discussion.

I am(as you pointed out) a Concrete Thinker. If the Bible -or indeed any other book - is interpreted symbolically, metaphorically or in terms of Jungian archetypes, i will merely scratch my arse, yawn and crack another tin of cider.

In order to clarify, I care not whether you are trying to explain the significance of prophecy in your view, or merely trying the same trick with prophecy that you did with science. When debunked, you turn it into and analogy of something unfalsifiable. In either case, it can be dismissed by reference to the Theist =English dictionary and phrase -book:

"Methaphorical - Not True".

It isn't Lying exactly. But it is within smelling distance.

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

8,541 posts, read 8,113,653 times
Quote:
So sin is metaphorical? The afterlife? Maybe god itself?

How do we determine what is metaphorical and what is real?

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Our mindsets are evidently too different to permit of profitable discussion.
I tend to agree. Neither of us is lying, Arq, just espousing very different perspectives.

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree. Neither of us is lying, Arq, just espousing very different perspectives.
Well, maybe i just can't comprehend honestly believing something is symbolically true that doesn't work in practical terms. I'm just thankful that i don't have to think like that.

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
So sin is metaphorical? The afterlife? Maybe god itself?
How do we determine what is metaphorical and what is real?
Sin is and has always been a failure to BE what our purpose for existing requires. That is why we needed Jesus to BE what we were failing to BE thereby making our failures no longer relevant. The afterlife is a new Birth from this physical "womb" (body and brain) as an infant Spirit. We have no more way of knowing what that spiritual life will be like than our embryo self would have had about this physical one if it were sentient in the womb. God's consciousness is the unified field (consciousness field) that establishes our Reality and is the actual locus of our individual consciousness NOT our body and brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or