U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 04:56 AM

10,276 posts, read 12,592,937 times

Advertisements

The quote system here allows anyone to edit a quote. It's worse than Wikipedia, which at least reverts back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM

38,387 posts, read 10,494,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The quote system here allows anyone to edit a quote. It's worse than Wikipedia, which at least reverts back.
Well done Ozzy. I just deleted TWO responses to that.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:15 PM

3,405 posts, read 1,230,639 times
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense
And one could make the very same claim about Santa and his team of flying reindeer... or the Easter bunny. If the unrealistic nature of what is being claimed is not to be considered as "proof" concerning the efficacy of the claim, then all claims must have equal value. And yet we are forced to go through life weeding out the nonsense from the plausible every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
What qualifies you to determine what is nonsense and what is plausible. Are you omniscient? Unless you are, you thinking something is nonsense, does not make it nonsense.

Religion Posting Guidelines - Updated August 15, 2014
Specific posting instruction for all the Religion & Spirituality forums.

This section of City-Data is for
discussions about Religion and Spirituality, which makes it a little different from other forums.
Religion Posting Guidelines - Updated February 24, 2019

We are here discussing the nature of religious claims.That is the stated purpose of this forum. Any discussion naturally involves the realistic and plausible nature of what is being claimed. Pointing out that Santa and his team of flying reindeer or the Easter bunny as examples of unrealistic and implausible things to believe in is a necessarily a part of any discussion on establishing that which is plausible or implausible.

The Bible contains numerous unrealistic or implausible claims. The OT for example indicates that the Earth once stopped rotating for about a full day at a command from Joshua (The Day The Earth Stood Still - Joshua 10:12), and that a man once rode around in the belly of a large fish for several days before being deposited again safe and soggy on dry land (shades of Pinocchio - The Book of Jonah). The NT tells us that hordes of dead people came up out of their graves and wandered the streets of Jerusalem (Night Of The Living Dead - Matt. 27:52-53). And most famously, that a corpse returned to life and then subsequently flew off up into the clouds.

What exactly is YOUR definition of what is nonsense and what is implausible?

We are currently discussing the plausible/implausible nature of an omnipotent omniscient God who fails to achieve His intentions.

In an attempt to eliminate quibbles about what the Bible actually says, here is a direct translation from the original Hebrew.

Hebrew Interlinear Bible (OT)
Genesis 6:
[6]and∑he-is-nregretting Yahweh that he-madedo the∑human in∑the∑earth heart-of∑him
[7]and∑he-is-saying Yahweh I-shall-wipe-off the∑human whom I-created from∑on the∑ground from∑human unto beast unto moving-animal and∑unto flyer-of the∑heavens that I-nregret that I-madedo∑them

https://www.scripture4all.org/Online...OTpdf/gen6.pdf

Notice that I also provided the link to the Hebrew Interlinear Bible website, so that you and everyone else can look for themselves.

re∑gret
/r?'gret/
verb
1. feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over (something that has happened or been done, especially a loss or missed opportunity).
"she immediately regretted her words"
synonyms: be sorry about, feel contrite about, feel apologetic about, feel remorse about/for, be remorseful about, rue, repent (of), feel repentant about, be regretful at/about, have a conscience about, blame oneself for
noun
1. a feeling of sadness, repentance, or disappointment over something that has happened or been done.
"she expressed her regret at Virginia's death"
synonyms: remorse, sorrow, contrition, contriteness, repentance, penitence, pangs of conscience, guilt, compunction, remorsefulness, ruefulness, shame, self-reproach, self-accusation, self-condemnation;
https://www.google.com/search?q=regr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

To regret something is to be disappointed (or sorry if you prefer) about the way a thing has turned out. Genesis specifically says that God REGRETTED making humans and beasts.

Genesis goes on to say:

Hebrew Interlinear Bible (OT)
Genesis 6:
[13]and∑he-is-saying Elohim to∑Noah end-of all-of flesh coming to∑faces-of∑me that she-is-full the∑earth wrong from∑faces-of∑them and∑behold∑me ruining-of∑them with the∑earth

https://www.scripture4all.org/Online...OTpdf/gen6.pdf

Unless you choose to rewrite the Bible, this is what the Bible says!

SO... if God is omniscient (he knows all things past, present and future), then God created Adam and Eve and the serpent and placed them in the garden together, knowing with omniscient certainty what would eventually occur. If God is omnipotent than God got EXACTLY the result He intended to get. Any other conclusion indicates that God DID NOT know that Adam and Eve and the serpent would conspire to disobey Him, and GOD FAILED TO ACHIEVE HIS ORIGINAL INTENTION.

Try as you might, you simply cannot have an omnipotent omniscient God who FAILS to achieve His intentions. Because the assertion that an omnipotent omniscient Being who also FAILS TO ACHIEVE HIS INTENTIONS is self contradictory in nature, it is an INVALID CLAIM! It cannot be true, and is therefore proven to be false.

Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense
Apparently, since claims "can't be proved or disproved. One can only believe or disbelieve it by faith alone," it all comes down to what belief one was indoctrinated into as a child, and one's personal level of gullibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
That is not true either. Many people including myself did not become Christians as children. Also, some raised in a Christian home, reject the religion of heir parents. You are also not qualified to determine what is gullible.
Conversely, I WAS raised in a Christian home. But I was puzzled, even at an early age, by the apparent contradictions and the numerous unrealistic and implausible claims that are contained in Christian belief. By the time I was thirteen years old I had reached the conclusion that Christian claims are far to silly to have any reasonable possibility for being true. I am now seventy years old, and see no reason to change my mind.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 05-15-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-16-2019, 08:54 AM

4,658 posts, read 1,181,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Thanks for posting this. If your unreasoning blanket refusal to actually engage with the arguments was not sufficient to discredit you, then your ignorance of what plagiarism is, even after having it explained to you, shows your utter lack of knowledge or credibility.

Are you really saying if a statement is true, only one person can use it. If that was true there could only be one biography of someone; there could only be one math book that says 1+1= 2; one science book that explains DNA.

Do you not have good dictionary?

Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Eusebius said there were contradictions. Your ignorance of your own church history is amusing.

There may be contradictions in church history, but the subject is the gospels, not history. If there are contradictions in church history they will not change anything in the Bible.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
John 8:44.

And having a poor translation, you will never know why I am laughing.

Answer the question do you know if you are relying on a poor translation? How do you determine if a translation if poor or good?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1965 View Post
omg!...that first paragraph that you replied to has me laughing!...he definitely does not understand plagiarism!...whether the statement be true or false, doesnít matter, but if one copies anotherís works word for word and claims it to be his own words, then thatís plagiarism...

Omega, i just thought this up to say to you:

Thank you for your opinion, kermit, i will file it in the relevant rubbish bin.

Now thatís plagiarism...

yawn.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
With omega as lead spear-chucker for fundie Christianity, it may be doomed sooner than I thought.

The is amusing coming from someone who doesn't even know what a fundie is.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Man was not intended to live in Gan Eden forever...

That's probably right, but had man not sinned, the whole earth would have been like the Garden of Eden.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You still do not understand plagiarism and now youíre making yourself look like a fool...

pla∑gia∑rism
[ˈplājəˌrizəm]
NOUN
the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

Washington crossing he Delaware is not someone else's work. He actually did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or