Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 04:08 AM

16,632 posts, read 4,916,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
So you have just become the KING of conspiracy theories, Harry. You are propounding an over TWO MILLENNIA-LONG conspiracy.
No, I am doing history. Redefining history as a conspiracy theory is a pathetic straw man. And it would not take 2,000 years, it would only take a few decades (if that) for the conspiracy. After that it would just be a belief, no conspiracy would be required to sell this insurance hoax.

Quote:
Not only that, you ignore the fact that the prophecies do NOT specify (and couldn't possibly) the WAY they would be fulfilled. It doesn't matter how they were fulfilled given their origins over 700-800 centuries BEFORE the central person was even born!!
Clearly you have reading problems. I have allowed for h, that they may be prophecies, so I am not ignoring anything. You are ignoring one of !h explains your objection 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 04:12 AM

16,632 posts, read 4,916,196 times
Quote:
How do you keep this conspiratorial writing going so that events centuries and millennia after your rewriting still correspond with the narrative. You keep refusing to see the fallacy of attributing willful deception on the impact over two millennia. You want to join Harry in his conspiracy kingship?
If you insist historians (that you need to ignore) are conspiracy theorists, then I think we can ignore your assertions that ignore the evidence.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,521,721 times
Quote:
The impact that Jesus has had over two millennia is NOT fiddled, it is real. The Whys and Wherefores are irrelevant. That there are prophecies of His impact that can be traced to prophets 700-800 years BEFORE His birth is NOT a fiddle, it is remarkable. That there are other prophecies equally startling puts to the lie that there could ever be such a vast two millennia-long conspiracy covering the impact of a single individual. You prefer to ignore it or poo poo it, c'est la vie. I find it compelling especially in light of His match to the consciousness I encountered.
I can predict a man will come that will impact society for a 100 years. And people will be telling the stories for a 100 generations after that.

If all societies make that prediction at least one will come.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Mystic is getting to be more of a fundie every day.
Mystic is too critical of the Bible to be a Fundie. Yet he is more than happy to adapt stock Christian and even Creationist apologetics to his own Belief -system. After all, even a couple of Mormons who came to the door slipped back into the 'who made everything, then?' apologetic. In fact that is where I got it from.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,997,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Mystic is too critical of the Bible to be a Fundie. Yet he is more than happy to adapt stock Christian and even Creationist apologetics to his own Belief -system. After all, even a couple of Mormons who came to the door slipped back into the 'who made everything, then?' apologetic. In fact that is where I got it from.
A fundie has die-hard fundamental principles. Anyone can be a fundamentalist...the game is to paint the next guy as one in hopes that no one will vet you by the same standards.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
A fundie has die-hard fundamental principles. Anyone can be a fundamentalist...the game is to paint the next guy as one in hopes that no one will vet you by the same standards.

Dunderheadalism....damn my misstyping...Religious Fundamentalism has a specific meaning; the literal and uncompromising application of the tenets of the religion and as based on its' scriptures.

The term has morphed through Islamic fundamentalist -links to the Islamic guerrilla war (called not unfairly, 'terrorism' as it uses indiscriminate methods to try scare the west into making terms or concessions - if there is any method in the madness at all) to be applied to anyone who uses militant and even violent methods to achieve their aims. It was probably inevitable that theism would apply the concept to activist atheism.

As you say, the theiopologetic hope is that the label will be taken as meaning both things - not just activist, but potentially terrorist.

And now I must do some work on the Book; finally checking off that I have analysed all verses, Raffs.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 PM

18,228 posts, read 16,841,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
Not only that, you ignore the fact that the prophecies do NOT specify (and couldn't possibly) the WAY they would be fulfilled. It doesn't matter how they were fulfilled given their origins over 700-800 centuries BEFORE the central person was even born!!

"Fulfilled" is in the eye of the beholder, Mystic. That these prophecies look fulfilled to you says nothing about their legitimacy to the next guy and it remains a strictly subjective observation.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 PM

63,568 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"Fulfilled" is in the eye of the beholder, Mystic. That these prophecies look fulfilled to you says nothing about their legitimacy to the next guy and it remains a strictly subjective observation.
That is unavoidable no matter what the issue, Thrill. But the likelihood of finding applicability to a SINGLE ancient individual over more than two plus millennia is extremely low. That makes finding it probative.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
That is unavoidable no matter what the issue, Thrill. But the likelihood of finding applicability to a SINGLE ancient individual over more than two plus millennia is extremely low. That makes finding it probative.
It is extremely high when a good number of prophecies have to be taken out of context to apply the later figure and a good many more have the story of the figure written to comply with the 'prophecy'.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:44 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,821,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is extremely high when a good number of prophecies have to be taken out of context to apply the later figure and a good many more have the story of the figure written to comply with the 'prophecy'.
The OT said X would happen. The NT said it did happen...and Mystic believes it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality