Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:55 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times

Advertisements

What proof do you have that you can show or tell me about to prove that your religion exists? I have never seen any proof that ANY religion has any true historical merit. Also.. why is your god real and not that of another religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 02:41 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
Believers tend to consider their feelings and personal biases to be adequate proof that their faith is true. This poses a dilemna for them when atheists/agnostics ask them for proof of their beliefs. They always resort to arguments based on feelings and value judgements since they consider that such things are enough to prove to someone else that their beliefs are true. What they don't realize is that atheists/agnostics don't consider arguments based on things like feelings or value judgements to hold any validity of truth. Believers don't often understand that atheists/agnostics want evidence backed by science and rational thought. In short, the faithful will never be able to give proof of their beliefs because their beliefs are based on emotion and personal biases rather than empirically verified evidence.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:13 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
No proof. They will say that creation is proof enough.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
What proof do you have that the universe wasn't created 5 minutes ago with intact memories and history?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
What proof do you have that the universe wasn't created 5 minutes ago with intact memories and history?
Sorry in reality, we work on what is true, not is not true.

So in reality (or science) we look around and see their is no evidence that the universe started 5 min ago with memories and history.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Sorry in reality, we work on what is true, not is not true.

So in reality (or science) we look around and see their is no evidence that the universe started 5 min ago with memories and history.
Right. Anyway. Does anyone truly expect there to be some kind of revolutionary evidence that is going to come out on CD? We've been through the ringer on this. There is basically an identical thread active right now. Oh, wait! I just snapped this picture from my back yard! Unbelievable!!! I finally have it!!

http://emonk.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/god.gif

Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
Quote:
You don't need proof to prove something is not true. You need proof to claim something is true. It would be irrational to believe the universe was created 5 minutes ago because there is no evidence to support such a belief.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
You have to be kidding?

Of course back in the day, a nice stick of Thai bud would have made that a truly "deeeeeeeep" question worthy of contemplation.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You have to be kidding?

Of course back in the day, a nice stick of Thai bud would have made that a truly "deeeeeeeep" question worthy of contemplation.
Yes, I was actually kidding. But it is true that epistemologically we cannot know if it is true or not. My point is, these threads are a dime a dozen. It is very clear at this point that no one is going to prove any religion (or non religion) true on this forum.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You have to be kidding?

Once when I was super stoned, I had a hypothesis that "God" was a time traveler.

I thought to myself, the only way that you could know everything, is to be everywhere, at all times. The only way to do this would to be a time traveller.

A few things about time travel. Travelling at the speed of light would, in essence, stop time. If you can travel faster than the speed of light, then you would go back in time. A little slower than the speed of light, would take you to a future.

Nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light, as it nears the speed of light, it would expand to fill the entire Universe.

So only pure energy can travel at or beyond the speed of light. The human soul is supposed to be pure energy. This would explain the "white light at the end of the tunnel" that people see when they have near death experiences, this would also explain the tunnel (wormhole).

So, my hypothesis was that God was the last human born. He was so self aware at birth, that he could instantly time travel. With this ability, he could travel to all points, and all times, and know all things. Would this not make him God?

Anyway, I was really on a lot of drugs then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality