Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 02:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sin is and has always been a failure to BE what our purpose for existing requires. That is why we needed Jesus to BE what we were failing to BE thereby making our failures no longer relevant. The afterlife is a new Birth from this physical "womb" (body and brain) as an infant Spirit. We have no more way of knowing what that spiritual life will be like than our embryo self would have had about this physical one if it were sentient in the womb. God's consciousness is the unified field (consciousness field) that establishes our Reality and is the actual locus of our individual consciousness NOT our body and brain.
Thank you for once again pontificating on your personal beliefs.

My question was simple though. How can we determine what is metaphorical, and what is real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 03:42 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Thank you for once again pontificating on your personal beliefs.
My question was simple though. How can we determine what is metaphorical, and what is real?
Just trying to clarify your misinterpretation of my views as metaphorical. God has been influencing (inspiring) the evolution of our spiritual understanding and we can track it through the spiritual fossil record. It helps if you retain some openness and sensitivity to the consciousness within that is prompting our efforts to understand. Sadly, some people do seem cut off from that inner influence and inspiration.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Just trying to clarify your misinterpretation of my views as metaphorical. God has been influencing (inspiring) the evolution of our spiritual understanding and we can track it through the spiritual fossil record. It helps if you retain some openness and sensitivity to the consciousness within that is prompting our efforts to understand. Sadly, some people do seem cut off from that inner influence and inspiration.
Another post filled with your unsupported beliefs while dodging the actual question I asked.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Another post filled with your unsupported beliefs while dodging the actual question I asked.
Without a well-developed belief set about the issue, you would probably have no way to vet the information in the spiritual fossil record. You could query the inner consciousness for answers but that would require that you are sensitive to its promptings. Otherwise, I guess you are simply out of luck trying to discern truth. Science is of limited value in spiritual matters although there have to be plausible extrapolations from existing science for any phenomena asserted.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Without a well-developed belief set about the issue, you would probably have no way to vet the information in the spiritual fossil record. You could query the inner consciousness for answers but that would require that you are sensitive to its promptings. Otherwise, I guess you are simply out of luck trying to discern truth. Science is of limited value in spiritual matters although there have to be plausible extrapolations from existing science for any phenomena asserted.
Got it. There is no way to determine whether a statement is based in reality, or the metaphorical world. It is simply up to the person interpreting, which allows them to be wildly inconsistent and change their interpretation whimsically.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Got it. There is no way to determine whether a statement is based in reality, or the metaphorical world. It is simply up to the person interpreting, which allows them to be wildly inconsistent and change their interpretation whimsically.
Okay, but that would simply mean they can be wrong which is an inescapable potential consequence of any beliefs or opinions. It does not impact whatever Reality exists.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Okay, but that would simply mean they can be wrong which is an inescapable potential consequence of any beliefs or opinions.
Exactly. This is my point. Despite your continual assertions, phrased in such a way as to imply absolute certainty, you admit that your beliefs can be wrong.

Quote:
It does not impact whatever Reality exists.
Of course it does not. Reality is, by definition, real. However, your thoughts on what reality is are simply metaphorical, which is to say, subject to change at your whim and potentially (I would say almost definitely) wrong.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Exactly. This is my point. Despite your continual assertions, phrased in such a way as to imply absolute certainty, you admit that your beliefs can be wrong.
Of course, it does not. Reality is, by definition, real. However, your thoughts on what reality is are simply metaphorical, which is to say, subject to change at your whim and potentially (I would say almost definitely) wrong.
Except, They are based on more than my interpretation of the spiritual fossil record. They were predicated on my personal experience of a conscious Reality. Of course, anyone without such an experience would be impoverished in their efforts, IMO, but FOR ME, I am certain!

Old 04-13-2019, 06:01 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Sin is and has always been a failure to BE what our purpose for existing requires. That is why we needed Jesus to BE what we were failing to BE thereby making our failures no longer relevant. The afterlife is a new Birth from this physical "womb" (body and brain) as an infant Spirit. We have no more way of knowing what that spiritual life will be like than our embryo self would have had about this physical one if it were sentient in the womb. God's consciousness is the unified field (consciousness field) that establishes our Reality and is the actual locus of our individual consciousness NOT our body and brain.

Mystic, without checking it, who is this prophecy about:

Quote:
I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the sky settle on you and all the animals of the wild gorge themselves on you. 5 I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. 6 I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh.

I will tell you. It's about Judas Iscariot? Right?

Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Mystic, without checking it, who is this prophecy about:

I will tell you. It's about Judas Iscariot? Right?
Ah, but if we interpret it metaphorically, it can be about anything we want to support any point we want to make, as is most convenient at the time. And if you object, we can roll our eyes and comment about how close minded and unenlightened you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality