U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 06:55 PM

21,762 posts, read 21,712,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
This reprehensibly fallible man was not representing Ruby plutocrats or Mormons very well.
He's NOT a Mormon. He's with the Assemblies of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 07:18 PM

7,749 posts, read 4,610,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Actually Christians are called by God to love the neighbor as themselves ........... This means that it is not their Job to play God , as it is God spirit who is called to convict believers of sin so they can stand in Christ , so to get into activation and condemn people before they even get to God would just scare people away from God through legalism condemnation ................. So then this person has doctrines of legalism which can be a substitution of faith in God which is idolatry , so go to show people that the condemner need to examine themselves instead of pointing the finger at others
And Bibliolatry is the worst of these. A thousand words paint an ugly picture. Humans onto human things, like flies onto their own.

And indeed, there are other bad things too.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 PM

7,749 posts, read 4,610,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
He's NOT a Mormon. He's with the Assemblies of God.
Ah, makes a bit more stereotypical sense; considering the place that politeness is given over "spirit warriorism" in each of these.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-11-2019 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 08:28 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,814,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Aussies...well we Brits always think of them as level -headed practical people. So it's always a shock to us when he hear some Creationist bullcrap being spouted in an Auzzie accent. It just doesn't seem right, somehow.

I have to mention that there is a lot of awful Catholicism..I mean an awful lot...in Ozz. I have to relate overhearing an Ozzie group coming out of a restaurant and they seemed at a loss as to what to do.

"Do you want to go back to the pub? No? Do you want to go to confession?"

Ok, if you are in a hotel as a tourist, eat out or drink - there's not much else, unless you booked tickets. But Confession?
For a start I am not a fundie, but from a Catholic background mixed with my own spiritual worldviews.
I even accept Evolution as scientific fact, and was taught it at University level.
Most of my time is spent arguing with Fundies and Evangelicals elsewhere over accusations of idolatry and even Paganism, threats of Hell, and even them accusing the Pope of being the Antichrist.
I don't necessarily like what they say, but they are entitled to their opinion.
On the original topic, Rugby Australia sacking their best player right before a World Cup is not a smart move, over him expressing his views, regardless of whether I or anyone else agree with them all or not.
This is basically telling all people they can be religious but have to be silent over their religious beliefs, and goes against the notion of freedom of religion.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:41 PM

37,633 posts, read 10,211,520 times
It would have certainly been a smart move if he'd just kept to expressing his religious beliefs short of damning people to hell. Nobody would have minded then. I think it may be the first time that has happened, and it's long overdue. As to good rugby players, Australia has a strong rugby base. They needn't pin their hopes on just one player.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:22 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,037,197 times
Quote:
RA’s integrity unit was investigating Folau after he took to Instagram to proclaim hell awaits “drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters”.

Sounds like a religious terrorist.

Why isn’t this person charged?

Old 04-12-2019, 07:30 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,814,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Sounds like a religious terrorist.

Why isnít this person charged?
Is God a terrorist?
In any event, if God is not a merciful God, then most of us including myself, are going to Hell on any one of these fronts.
It kind of disputes the "once saved always saved" theology.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:47 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,918,659 times
I think the bigger picture is being overlooked/ignored here, focusing on sub-issues.

I mean, we have a bunch of grown men here getting paid millions of dollars to throw, catch, chase around and tackle one another over an object that resembles and has the consistency of a large oblong shaped stale fruitcake...

Old 04-12-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Is God a terrorist?
A terrorist has to exist to do acts of terrorism.

But the god described in the Bible is a dictator who orders acts of terrorism. A god that allows evil would also seem to be short of even a human level of morality.

That's one reason why I go beyond the atheist disbelief position to a personal conviction that a god who is active in the world does not exist.

Quote:
In any event, if God is not a merciful God, then most of us including myself, are going to Hell on any one of these fronts.
It kind of disputes the "once saved always saved" theology.
We have had quite a few discussion of 'once saved, always saved' doctrine, here, vs the 'No real Christian' escape clause.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I think the bigger picture is being overlooked/ignored here, focusing on sub-issues.

I mean, we have a bunch of grown men here getting paid millions of dollars to throw, catch, chase around and tackle one another over an object that resembles and has the consistency of a large oblong shaped stale fruitcake...
That is the inequality that popularity causes. People can earn a living wage by hopping around on stage, driving cars while people watch, hoping they'll crash, or play a piano so people who can't play can hear what it sounds like.

If they are particularly good or become particularly popular, the money goes up to almost obscene levels. i may shake my head over it, but at least they are sorta earning it by their talents, rather than just swindling and scamming.

I'd rather see those people go to jail than even this twit and his whackdoodle opinions be thrown off the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or