Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:32 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I am as against Bibliolatry as you are, and am not a bible literalist.
Israel Folau is a champion guy and good bloke normally, and have been lucky enough to see him play live for the Wallabies and even for the Waratahs here in Newcastle a couple of weeks ago.
He posted a direct bible passage, and that is deemed hateful enough to see him fired?
He made a dumb mistake, but in the days of political correctness his contract can suddenly be terminated.
I was going to post that he could always put this right and try to get back on track. But, if I know anything about a believer of this type, he's rather go to stake yelling defiance than even apologise and promise stop telling people they're going to hell.

He can talk about his damn' religion, of course, but the question is; do we get a precedent against religion -based 'hate speech?' I watched a bit of that vid of some fellow at a lectern witterring on about religion in the fabric of life.

Not a hope. It's like saying that footvball (soccer) has been the most important and best loved sport in England and Scotland (1) and is part of the fabric of life. So how can you ban the racist and homophobic chants that are an inextricable part of crowd behaviour..? I don't know if that's the 'loophole' but I recall the Auzzie public have already been stung by Islamic religious Fanatics. They won't be fooled by this,

(1) in Wales, Rugby tops football. Just
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 09:05 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Seriously, this is laughable.

For Harry Diogenes, I can guess from his immature and ill informed posts that his indulgence into religion and philosophy topics is ignorable, but since he has a right to voice his opinion, I don’t have anything against his knowledge base and his experience (or anything against him as a person and a fellow forum member).

But Luminous and TRANS, you too? lol
I thought you were in your 60’s and 70’s.
What is laughable? What have you been told? Were you not aware of this? Are you saying they were not Wasabi Muslims from Saudi Arabia?

1) The airplane hijackers were mostly from Saudi Arabia, with some being from Pakistan etc.
2) The airplane hijackers were preparing to die and thinking of themselves as "manly."
3) There were multiple interconnected attacks. Bin Laden literally made a video, thinking he would become a lofty Muslim war-lord/expander.
4) Al Qaeda had stated origins, intentions, and was well funded: and carrying multiple attacks throughout the years and in September 11th.

It goes on and on.

Do you deny that some Muslims have also been attacking other Muslims that disagree with them since the beginning? How much more would such Muslims then attack those who are not Muslim and have disagreed with them or stepped on their toes?

Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
Good old Israel Folau. I wasn't personally offended by what he posted as I thought that religious people (especially non-white ones) were allowed to quote texts. But the cynic in me wonders if this was some kind of calculated attempt to be dropped from one footy code to another without breaking contract. It seems to be how it's done these days because after all, he's going back to League, isn't he?
As good as any other thoughtless quoter. I definitely become personally offended when the weak and oppressed are further attacked by the hypocritical, thoughtless, and power-hungry Bibliolaters.

Back when I was a Bibliolater like him, I would have been indoctrinated to believe that I'm SUPPOSED to push-forward and test-the-waters of what "help" I can give to those who are "saved" Bibliolaters like me. I doubt there was anything maliciously calculated about it, ignorance would have been enough, the calculation of his guts and feelings (his subconscious perception of how much support he would get from hypocritical "macho" incel fans) would have been enough uninhibited motivation for him.

Tim Tebow and now Israel Folau.
Saints of Sports, but imperfect because they have kept their money in total for themselves and their loved ones.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I am as against Bibliolatry as you are, and am not a bible literalist.
Israel Folau is a champion guy and good bloke normally, and have been lucky enough to see him play live for the Wallabies and even for the Waratahs here in Newcastle a couple of weeks ago.
He posted a direct bible passage, and that is deemed hateful enough to see him fired?
He made a dumb mistake, but in the days of political correctness his contract can suddenly be terminated.
"He posted a direct bible passage, and that is deemed hateful enough to see him fired?"

You sure you are not missing a few details there? A contract is a contract. No?
I doubt the contract said "no direct bible passages from your favorite version of some particular canon."
More then likely, the contract would have said: "listen to us when we tell you to take controversial posts down."
His Rugby other lords are Christians themselves, no? Christians like you who are not Bibliolatrous?
Let's talk about political correctness because imagine the death threats had it been the other way around: some liberal player quoted their loved ancient book about how instead of grossly going to hell, dumb bibliolaters are just that, dumb. Or imagine if a Muslim had expressed his thoughtless quotes.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
RA’s integrity unit was investigating Folau after he took to Instagram to proclaim hell awaits “drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters”.
Hey look, I personally take the 'live and let live" approach (after all, it's the law here in the U.S., anyway) so if someone lives a lifestyle outside of heterosexuality, so long as their not preaching it to me, more power to them! That having been said, this Folau character is involved in a sport that involves copious amounts of body contact with other men all dressed in scant clothing.

Not judging, just saying...

What was that Shakespearean quotation about protesting too loudly?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
One thing old chap. The video you posted is football not rugby. Rugby is a whole different ball-game (pun intended).

Football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans.
Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen.
See below Rafius!

Hooligans.... HOOLIGANS I TELL YOU!!.....

Maybe the saying should read:

"Football is a game where the fans are hooligans
Rugby is a game where the players are hooligans"

Nice try though...

Rugby Hooligans

Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times
This guy is such a tool... Here is a quote from him, after the post was made.

"I'll stand on what the Bible says," he said. "I share it with love."

Share it with love?? You call it "love" to tell people they are going to hell unless they repent and believe exactly as you? I don't believe I would want someone this dumb on my team, but that's just me.

Here is a comment from Rugby Australia's CEO.... "It was made clear to him that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action."

So not only does he make this stupid, ignorant post to begin with, but he did it KNOWING it could lead to disciplinary action. Again, the guy is an idiot. Don't want to get fired, don't knowingly break your contract. If you do, don't act like it is an attack on you or your religion, because you knew it was there when you signed the contract. You only have your ignorance and bigotry to blame.

Then he says this, "First and foremost, I live for God now. Whatever he wants me to do, I believe his plans for me are better than whatever I can think. If that's not to continue on playing, so be it.
"In saying that, obviously I love playing footy and if it goes down that path I'll definitely miss it. But my faith in Jesus Christ is what comes first."

So why is he fighting it? Does he not believe this was God's plan? If his faith is so much more important, why does he play at all? Shouldn't he take it more seriously if it is SOOOO important to him? If he "lives for God", why is he spending so much time playing rugby?

Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post

Share it with love?? You call it "love" to tell people they are going to hell unless they repent and believe exactly as you? I don't believe I would want someone this dumb on my team, but that's just me.

...snip...
The guy exhibits two characteristics found in virtually every fundie: idiocy and a lack of empathy.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:27 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post

<snip>
That is what they say, though, lol.

I stopped going to my childhood church when I was around 18. When I was 30 and planning to get married, I contacted the church to get married there, since my parents still belonged. The minister met with us, and I got the feeling he was going to recommend to the consistory that they say no, and they did, but they did it in a letter not only telling me I couldn't get married there but letting me know that they were also officially dropping me from membership because I hadn't attended in my adult life.

It was not a surprise, but they added this sentence, "Please understand that we do this out of love." Huh?

By the way, the minister left to take a church in California, where he ended up having an affair with the church secretary. His wife threw him out, and last I heard, he was a car salesman.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
I feel a bit sorry for him. He's probably a decent guy in his own way and doesn't much care about what other people do. But this is what fundamentalist religion has done to him. He thinks that he is required to tell people that they are vile sinners and should become like him to be spared hellfire.

So I hope the precedent will now be laid down in Ozz - and will be followed elsewhere - that damning people to hell on religious grounds will be deemed hate speech and will get you thrown off the team, no matter how good you are. And, as recently ruled in the USA, religious belief is not an excuse in law any more than the 'PC gone mad' mantra.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The guy exhibits two characteristics found in virtually every fundie: idiocy and a lack of empathy.
I mean, you aren't wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is what they say, though, lol.

I stopped going to my childhood church when I was around 18. When I was 30 and planning to get married, I contacted the church to get married there, since my parents still belonged. The minister met with us, and I got the feeling he was going to recommend to the consistory that they say no, and they did, but they did it in a letter not only telling me I couldn't get married there but letting me know that they were also officially dropping me from membership because I hadn't attended in my adult life.

It was not a surprise, but they added this sentence, "Please understand that we do this out of love." Huh?

By the way, the minister left to take a church in California, where he ended up having an affair with the church secretary. His wife threw him out, and last I heard, he was a car salesman.
Yea, I just don't get it. I guess this guy thinks that saying, "You are going to HELL SINNER!" is the "loving" way to try and get people to believe in his specific version of God? Hate to break it to this genius, but all that does it turn anyone with a room temp IQ away from your brand of religion... Maybe that is harsh, but it is just the way I see it.

As for your story above, it makes about as much sense. "You can no longer be a member because we love you."..... I dunno, I guess that is why organized religion lost its place with me before I ever left high school. Really it was well before then, but I tried for awhile before quitting it altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality