Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:51 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
1st letter to the Church that money was being collected from at Corinth
Section 6
Verses 9-10.

Well, drunks and homosexuals are in there.

Thieves/swindler seems to be there twice. I'm not sure of the difference between a big difference between a thief and a robber.
kleptes - a thief, someone who enters a house at night to steal.
harpax - someone who seizes, with violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 02:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

Well, Israel Folau said that he was quoting the word of God. Since when did Paul become God? Oh, that's right ...Paul became the 'new and improved' Jesus to the majority of Evangelical Christians. I keep forgetting. My bad.

Pretty sure rich conservative "easy religion" Catholics also use Paul's passages as sacred ("God-controlled") litterature. "Letters that Kill."

Paul is basically the reason that the Catholic Church even exists.
Quote:

Anyway, kidding aside, there is nowhere in the above passage of scripture that states that anyone is going to hell unless they repent. It just gives a list of those who will not inherit the kingdom of God, most of us it would seem ...including Paul. Who among us is NOT unrighteous? In other words, who is righteous? No one and 'no one' includes Israel Folau. I have to wonder if these religious nuts are even capable of actually thinking before they open their mouths or post such crud on social media.
The idea is that afterlife is simple and not complex or complicated. Either Jesus takes you to good afterlife, or you don't listen to Jesus and go to bad afterlife. As described in the 4 allowed gospels and jonny's revelation book. Black and White. Simple, not much brain power required. That is the idea behind that particular Black and White interpretation of the afterlife. Paul clearly states in those money-collecting passages "I know you guys sometimes do these too, please stop at least these bad things."

They do think. They think things should be simple black and white (Bibliolatry) if God was good for them.
Quote:
Furthermore, the word 'homosexual' was only placed in some Bibles by some post-1946 authors. Prior to that there was no such word in the Holy scriptures - not in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek and certainly not in English. The same is true with the word 'atheist'. All Bibles that contain the word 'homosexual' need to be tossed out. I'm serious! It's because of these corrupt Bibles that the likes of religious buffoons such as Israel Folau are led to saying the crap that they say.

That said, here is the same scripture from the KJV:
Quote:
No. People have known and hated or tolerated or accepted homosexuals (and albinos, and other minorities) since the beginning of societies. The mere likely fact that there was no single-word label for these minorities does not justify reconstructionism of the Bibliolatry in order to have the Bibliolatry better apply to modern tastes (where "manly men" aren't as important of a resource given our weapons and peaceful society).

Quote:

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

I wonder how Israel would have fared trying to interpret the King James Version of the same text?
1. "effeminate" means "woman-like."
But the original Greek word was "malakoi" "soft" which meant literally "soft like wool/yarn" or "thin-skinned" "too self emotional" or "non-enduring" or "nice" or "weakened by illness" etc.

2. "abusers of themselves with mankind" meant "masochists" or "prostitutes" or "slutty submissives" etc.
However, the original word used in Greek had masculine connotation arsenokoitai, literally, "male-bed" in the sexual coitus connotation. A word as yet unsubstantiated by other sources.

No other sources exist for a label like this given to persons, as ancient Greeks talked of Pederasty ("boy-lovers" referring to men who had sex with post-pubescent young men) and "men with male lovers" not having a label for "co-adult homosexuality", seeing it as masculine to be a penetrator and "effemintate/inferior" to be a male who was penetrated (especially if already supposed to be in "adulthood" after around age 26-30, where the last wisdom teeth sprout).

Quote:
During Plato's time there were some people who had "the audacity to say" that homosexual sex was shameful in any circumstances, and he criticized them siting homosexual achievements in art and culture. However, according to work attributed to him after his death, Plato himself eventually came to hold this anti-homosexual view. At one time he had written that same-sex lovers were far more blessed than ordinary mortals. He even gave them a headstart in the great race to get back to heaven, their mutual love refeathering their mottled wings. Now, after his death and publishin of "new found works he had finished but not published" he seemed to contradict himself. In his ideal city, he says in his last, posthumously published work known as The Laws, homosexual sex will be treated the same way as incest. It is something contrary to nature, he insists, and although there won't be laws against it, nevertheless a propaganda programme will encourage everyone to say that it is "utterly unholy, odious-to-the-gods and ugliest of ugly things" in order to keep the society together for the fearful "heterosexual" men affraid to "convert" at the drop of a dime.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 05-17-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
kleptes - a thief, someone who enters a house at night to steal.
harpax - someone who seizes, with violence.
I thought so too.

harpax - only one translation was "rapacious" but what do Christians have against being twice against thieves and not beings against rapers? Easily they would throw away their interpretation history and give the word a better interpretation (given that the religion is and has been false).

It seems to me that the author would not want to say "kleptes and harpax" to mean "thieves and robbers" but more of "sly thieves" and "violent violators" (such as robbers and rapists).

Quote:
The harpax or harpago was a Roman catapult-shot grapnel created by Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa for use against Sextus Pompey during the naval battles of the Sicilian revolt. The harpax allowed an enemy vessel to be harpooned and then winched alongside for boarding.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:43 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I thought so too.

harpax - only one translation was "rapacious" but what do Christians have against being twice against thieves and not beings against rapers? Easily they would throw away their interpretation history and give the word a better interpretation (given that the religion is and has been false).

It seems to me that the author would not want to say "kleptes and harpax" to mean "thieves and robbers" but more of "sly thieves" and "violent violators" (such as robbers and rapists).
Matthew 7:15 uses harpax to talk about hungry wolves. As I only know this word from the Bible (I do not remember using it when I was young), so last night I asked my Grandmother. Kleptes means a thief and usually implies stealth, harpax is violent theft or when one seizes a bag and then runs away with it.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Since Israel Folau didn't appeal the original decision to fire him by Australian Rugby League Commission within the 72 hours allocated to him, his $4 Million contract with the Wallabies has been terminated.

From "The Australian":

Israel Folau’s spectacular but in the end tumultuous seven-year stint in Australian rugby formally came to a close yesterday when his contract was terminated, but Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie was adamant there would be no soft landing for the 30-year-old in his original code.

When Folau chose not to appeal by midday yesterday against Rugby Australia’s decision to terminate his contract, he effectively severed all ties with the Wallabies, the Waratahs and Australian rugby. It was a deflating ending to one of the most fabled footballing careers in this country’s history, with Folau playing in rugby league, Australia rules football and rugby union.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:18 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Since Israel Folau didn't appeal the original decision to fire him by Australian Rugby League Commission within the 72 hours allocated to him, his $4 Million contract with the Wallabies has been terminated.

From "The Australian":

Israel Folau’s spectacular but in the end tumultuous seven-year stint in Australian rugby formally came to a close yesterday when his contract was terminated, but Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie was adamant there would be no soft landing for the 30-year-old in his original code.

When Folau chose not to appeal by midday yesterday against Rugby Australia’s decision to terminate his contract, he effectively severed all ties with the Wallabies, the Waratahs and Australian rugby. It was a deflating ending to one of the most fabled footballing careers in this country’s history, with Folau playing in rugby league, Australia rules football and rugby union.
Like most of us, I am still absolutely flabbergasted at the way the whole thing panned out.
The fact he did not appeal, suggests he believed he had little chance of success, certainly in time for the World Cup, or was just too obstinate in his opinions to look at ways of redeeming himself.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:54 AM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV

From "The Australian":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Like most of us, I am still absolutely flabbergasted at the way the whole thing panned out.
The fact he did not appeal, suggests he believed he had little chance of success, certainly in time for the World Cup, or was just too obstinate in his opinions to look at ways of redeeming himself.
I'm not sure about your 'Like most of us'. But anyway, how do you feel that it could have been better handled?

Old 05-21-2019, 02:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
I'm a bit surprised. I would have bet on him to agree to whatever would allow him to play. I am not that much surprised that he is standing firm. The basis of religion is that to admit to being wrong is a blasphemy.

on the other hand, he might have felt that the damage was done and he couldn't have the clarity of mind to be focussed on the game. i reject the possibility that he is kicking the unbelievers out of his house to starve.

"When they lose all their games, they'll see what happens to those who defy God". I don't entertain the idea that he's trying to do that.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM

447 posts, read 208,532 times
Quote:
Israel Folau, high profile Australian rugby player.
This in particular on social media:

RA’s integrity unit was investigating Folau after he took to Instagram to proclaim hell awaits “drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters”.

This is directly quoting the Biblical stance on these matters, but is too offensive for a secular society.
Very strange world we live in, where freedom of religion is supposedly allowed, but anything quoted in a biblical sense could be seen as not PC friendly.
Quoting the Bible vilifies people apparently.

https://au.yahoo.com/sports/rugby-au...082914190.html

Israel Folau is a devout Mormon Christian, and does not even drink alcohol due to his beliefs. (that's one thing I would never have in common with him).
This is Secularism gone mad.
2 out of 8 aint bad - I dont drink everyday and I help out 3 older ladies in my building.

As far as fornicating? One of the old gals keeps inviting me into her bed.

Me: I'm gay Helen.

Helen: You just haven't met the right woman (exposes boob)

Gotta give her E for Effort.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Israel Folau, high profile Australian rugby player.
This in particular on social media:

RA’s integrity unit was investigating Folau after he took to Instagram to proclaim hell awaits “drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters”.

This is directly quoting the Biblical stance on these matters, but is too offensive for a secular society.
Very strange world we live in, where freedom of religion is supposedly allowed, but anything quoted in a biblical sense could be seen as not PC friendly.
Quoting the Bible vilifies people apparently.

https://au.yahoo.com/sports/rugby-au...082914190.html

Israel Folau is a devout Mormon Christian, and does not even drink alcohol due to his beliefs. (that's one thing I would never have in common with him).
This is Secularism gone mad.
Wait...he's a Mormon? heh. OK.

In any event, society simply can't tolerate religion today, especially anything close to Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality