U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 02:15 PM

3,338 posts, read 1,207,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
It could be an attempt to stave off the discomfort of an ongoing existential crisis.

I never resolved mine and am perpetually uncomfortable. I went through a phase like the OP where I tried to find answers in other world religions. Unitarian Universalism, Theravada, Zen, and some strains of Taoism help a little, but nothing really solves the existential crisis.

If the OP is goimg through what I go through, my message is to be ok with not being ok. Try not to think about existential or meaningful questions and try to distract yourself from the mystical by turning your attention to the day-to-day mundane details that surround you.

Also, money will set you free.
You are suggesting that when one is faced with a reality that one finds disagreeable, one has no real option but to turn to make belive as a viable alternative. And if that were true, we should all remain children eternally.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 06:03 PM

7,805 posts, read 4,632,029 times
Quote:
It could be an attempt to stave off the discomfort of an ongoing existential crisis.

I never resolved mine and am perpetually uncomfortable. I went through a phase like the OP where I tried to find answers in other world religions. Unitarian Universalism, Theravada, Zen, and some strains of Taoism help a little, but nothing really solves the existential crisis.

If the OP is goimg through what I go through, my message is to be ok with not being ok. Try not to think about existential or meaningful questions and try to distract yourself from the mystical by turning your attention to the day-to-day mundane details that surround you.

Also, money will set you free.
Properly safe-kept probably does provide feelings of security. But existential suffering stems from your body being unable to ignore the fact that you are "dying" by growing older. This is not the case, as logically speaking you can maintain faith that the past is eternal and/or that there are other dimensions where you always get what you want (like if you desire immortality).

Old 04-18-2019, 12:15 AM

4,129 posts, read 2,887,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Hello everybody.

First I know the title is strange but it's not a troll thread.

I have been raised in an non practicant christian family. I have never been much involve in religious thing and i'am a non beleiver.
I used to describe myself as an atheist.

With the years passing. I'am starting to beleive it might be good for me to have something pushing me to be someone better. And some phylosophical stuff can be a good add.

The point is i don't find any religion who correspond me.

My values and the point i want to find in the religion:
* I beleive in freedom, people should have the right do to what they want as long as they d'ont hurt someone else. It includes homosexuality and drinking alcool.
* respect of nature
* work and creating is a positiv stuff
* I DONT beleive in universalism and the "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.
* I don't beleive in anthropomorphic deity.

Do you see something who can suit me?
I recommend making one up.

i invented one that helps me deal with my fear of death by personifying it as something friendly, for example. It's a polytheistic religion containing two varieties of gods.

There's the God of Light, which looks like an enormous, red dragon, spitting star fire. It represents life, and with that life, the pain and suffering that comes with it, and the adventures and love and beauty that comes with it, and the chaos and destruction, and the joy, and passion, and adventure, and terror, and creativity and wonder.

Then there are the gods of the void - the gods of death and peace, death as both something frightening and crushing and peaceful, like a sheltering blanket to drift off into.

The God of Light was born with the Big Bang. The gods of the void hated its chaos and tried to sink it back into the nothingness from which it came. The God of Light detested the void gods' tranquil natures. It was driven to rage against the dying of the light, and it did so, and it continues to build, thought its inventions are frequently manipulated by the gods of the void.

Their fights, and rare agreements, have led the universe to become what it is.

If you listen more to the God of Light, it'll motivate you to be ambitious, to seek out personal glory and pride and accomplish wonders, scientific wonders, or athletic wonders, or other wonders. It'll motivate you to strive to be remembered forever. It'll motivate you to be idealistic, and to go dancing, and live your life passionately and freely, singing songs and going dancing, quite possibly...but if you listen too much you'll find yourself taking risks and behaving selfishly and short-sightedly.

If you listen more to the gods of the void, they'll motivate you to give up many of your joys in life. They'll motivate you to be calm, and steady, and wise, and practical. Your life will swerve away from seeking awards and pride and veer towards a kind of focus on the greater good...but if you listen to them too much, you'll find yourself isolated and detached from your fellow human beings, contemplating existence in a kind of intellectual ivory tower.

Last edited by Clintone; 04-18-2019 at 12:25 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 05:19 PM

1,227 posts, read 937,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
You are suggesting that when one is faced with a reality that one finds disagreeable, one has no real option but to turn to make belive as a viable alternative. And if that were true, we should all remain children eternally.
Not sure if you read the whole post, but my point was to say that if there is an uncomfortable truth you don’t have the power to change, its best to ignore it and shift your focus. Yes, I will die. We will all die. Nothing we do ever has or ever will matter. As I decay, I distract myself from these truths and also use strategies to lessen the pain of my failing body.

As for the three “religions” I mentioned (Theravada, Zen, Unitarian Universalism, and the less crazy forms of Taoism that don’t focus on supernaturalism) focus on reducing suffering rather than playing make believe.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:47 AM

12,545 posts, read 4,740,196 times
Quote:
Not sure if you read the whole post, but my point was to say that if there is an uncomfortable truth you don’t have the power to change, its best to ignore it and shift your focus. Yes, I will die. We will all die. Nothing we do ever has or ever will matter. As I decay, I distract myself from these truths and also use strategies to lessen the pain of my failing body.

As for the three “religions” I mentioned (Theravada, Zen, Unitarian Universalism, and the less crazy forms of Taoism that don’t focus on supernaturalism) focus on reducing suffering rather than playing make believe.
It seems to me that humans emotional and logical solutions to reality. We are a mixture, not one or the other. to far scewed to the logical can seem sociopathic, in fact they probably are. To emotional can seem washy washy, what is the term for over emotional people?.

the best we can do is try and help our emotional selves using the information we have about the universe.

for example. Some theist feel we are connected to a larger thingie. Well we are, That's just a fact. Its not a biblegod thingie nor is it "one has no real option but to turn to make believe." Saying we are part of a larger more complex system is not "make believe".

why not talk about the more complex system and how it interacts with us openly and honestly?

I am with you. Just because some religious people have some strange brain states doesn't mean we have to toss out the rational stuff. I feel we should be putting the claims in their proper perspectives. Just like you pointed, take out the magic and some of the stuff you pointed is supported by science.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:20 AM

14,422 posts, read 4,788,051 times
Religion doesn't work that way, you don't find a religion that suits you lol, you follow a religion because you think you found truth, and you change your beliefs according to the truth you find.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Religion doesn't work that way, you don't find a religion that suits you lol, you follow a religion because you think you found truth, and you change your beliefs according to the truth you find.
"religion" doesn't own truth. I don't feel we change truth based on "club rules" we may have to follow them, thats true enough.

religion is more like a club, if it has convenient parking and it eats good ... use it. When it starts telling us that its pizza is the only food we should eat ... time to leave or vote a change.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:47 AM

37,944 posts, read 10,309,526 times
Quote:
In fact it often does work that way. You pick a religion that suits you and claim that it is the truth, unless you are cynical (or realistic) enough to reason that nobody knows which is the true religion and it probably doesn't matter anyway, and it is done for the benefit of the worshipper, not the deity (if any) involved. So you may as well pick one that suits you.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 PM

14,422 posts, read 4,788,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
In fact it often does work that way. You pick a religion that suits you and claim that it is the truth, unless you are cynical (or realistic) enough to reason that nobody knows which is the true religion and it probably doesn't matter anyway, and it is done for the benefit of the worshipper, not the deity (if any) involved. So you may as well pick one that suits you.
I guess y'all are right now that I think of it, most religeous people don't really have real passion for what they believe and they dont mind living with a thousand contradictions, it just don't work that way with me, if I couldn't absolutely prove God to myself, I wouldn't believe in a God but I did prove it to myself, and although it is very hard to do, it can be done, but most people aren't that interested.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I guess y'all are right now that I think of it, most religeous people don't really have real passion for what they believe and they dont mind living with a thousand contradictions, it just don't work that way with me, if I couldn't absolutely prove God to myself, I wouldn't believe in a God but I did prove it to myself, and although it is very hard to do, it can be done, but most people aren't that interested.
not really.

what trait do you assign to god that is so hard to prove or disprove?

My dad loved me ... I didnt always agree with him.

My dad was the smartest omni dad in the world ... hmmm ... not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality