Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 09:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If you like brochures I find there are a few to browse through at www.jw.org , also browse topics at www.jwbroadcasting
What we have here, ladies and germs, is interweb door-knocking/proselytizing.

Same boring Borgs on the other side of the door, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 09:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
Oh nice, a very useful detailed account is always important, especially one that is logical and not merely emotional and naivité based.

Short brochures would only do for false religions seeking vulnerable people instead of those with critical thought and time for deep analysis.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If you like brochures I find there are a few to browse through at www.jw.org , also browse topics at www.jwbroadcasting
Thank you, but I have seen them before. I explained to the people waving them at me that they were filled with lies. Not even original lies, but borrowed from Creationist websites (the Muslims do the same). They didn't listen. They never do.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:49 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
How about worshiping Black Holes?

How many Black Holes are there?

Well let's think about that. In our Galaxy the current understanding is that there are about a billion hundred stars. About 1% of these stars will be big enough at the end of their lives to collapse all the way through to become a Black Hole.

If 1% of stars that will collapse all the way through to become a black hole = a Billion Black Holes in our Galaxy. In addition to that our Galaxy hosts a Super Massive Black Hole (that's 100 million times more massive than our Sun), this Super Massive Black Hole has 10's of 1000's Black Holes segregated around it.

Now in the observable Universe we know there are as many Galaxies as the number of stars in our Galaxy...that's a lot of Black Holes out there!

Since we know Black Holes truly exist and possess a crazy intense gravity field where no matter or radiation can escape...why not worship them?

Old 05-14-2019, 05:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

Since we know Black Holes truly exist and possess a crazy intense gravity field where no matter or radiation can escape...why not worship them?
Are there stories of them offering immortality, etc. if one worships them. I think most religious people's pagan genes are about feelings and offerings.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Are there stories of them offering immortality, etc. if one worships them. I think most religious people's pagan genes are about feelings and offerings.
There are stories of them answering prayers in about the same percentage as prayers addressed to any other deity.

Quote:

Well let's think about that. In our Galaxy the current understanding is that there are about a billion hundred stars. About 1% of these stars will be big enough at the end of their lives to collapse all the way through to become a Black Hole.

If 1% of stars that will collapse all the way through to become a black hole = a Billion Black Holes in our Galaxy. In addition to that our Galaxy hosts a Super Massive Black Hole (that's 100 million times more massive than our Sun), this Super Massive Black Hole has 10's of 1000's Black Holes segregated around it.

Now in the observable Universe we know there are as many Galaxies as the number of stars in our Galaxy...that's a lot of Black Holes out there!

Sorry, we are going to have to excommunicate each other here as I revere, worship and honor the Sun as the source of life. I cannot therefore for doctrinal reasons worship an entity that threatens to smear my ass all over its' face if I go anywhere near it.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:46 PM

7 posts, read 3,779 times
Hi citoyen,
I would like to know why you wish to join a religion? I am not an athiest or a religious person, but have strong spiritual beliefs. These beliefs are my own and I would not like another person to take them up and follow like a sheep. A persons beliefs should be because of their experiences in life and the way they perceive life. Reality is a sense of ones own perception.
A place where you can find out about different spiritual beliefs is the Theosophical Society. I am not a member but have often use their library to research certain things and have gone to different lectures they hold. Their motto is "there is no religion higher than the search for truth". I have a strong belief that there cannot be one way to search for spiritual truth as we all see things in a different perspective. If there is a god then this god would not create a person, group, religion or race of people that has the monopoly on the truth.
Be wary of people pushing their beliefs upon you. It may work for them but not every one.
I wish you well on your spiritual journey. Remember this. The universe is evolving and so does your knowledge. What you know today is not what you know tomorrow. The prime function of the universe is to evolve energy. Time and matter is incidental to the evolution of energy.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:

The purpose of worship notwithstanding, you seem unaware of how close to the actual truth this MIGHT actually be!

Old 06-05-2019, 03:52 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The purpose of worship notwithstanding, you seem unaware of how close to the actual truth this MIGHT actually be!
humans are a mixture of emotional and logical responses. And mixtures too far off cannot process what the other is thinking.

this "worship" thing is a great example. Yeah, they call the system we are in god, they assign some really strange traits to it. We do not have to "worship it". people that think we need to worship it are seriously off in the logical/emotional ration.

I am thankful for the system we are in. But I understand that "thankful" is an emotional need, not a fundamental requirement. "thankful" is utterly human.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:17 PM

827 posts, read 631,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren_john777 View Post
Hi citoyen,
I would like to know why you wish to join a religion? I am not an athiest or a religious person, but have strong spiritual beliefs. These beliefs are my own and I would not like another person to take them up and follow like a sheep. A persons beliefs should be because of their experiences in life and the way they perceive life. Reality is a sense of ones own perception.
A place where you can find out about different spiritual beliefs is the Theosophical Society. I am not a member but have often use their library to research certain things and have gone to different lectures they hold. Their motto is "there is no religion higher than the search for truth". I have a strong belief that there cannot be one way to search for spiritual truth as we all see things in a different perspective. If there is a god then this god would not create a person, group, religion or race of people that has the monopoly on the truth.
Be wary of people pushing their beliefs upon you. It may work for them but not every one.
I wish you well on your spiritual journey. Remember this. The universe is evolving and so does your knowledge. What you know today is not what you know tomorrow. The prime function of the universe is to evolve energy. Time and matter is incidental to the evolution of energy.

Hi sorry for the very late answear

I think my life would have been better with. Maybe I'am the kind of person who need guidance and values to grow and acheives goals.
I'am a big procrastinator.

I start making some spiritual practic like fasting and honesthly my mind state improve. Not perfect but still there is improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality