Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That's the question, isn't it? No one knows the answer.
yes, thats right. but which one is a more reasonable claim?

if we stick with nobody knows than a god is as good as a turtle.

either way, the infinite regress issue is ended when we just say "we don't know what came before us but we are here now." then we can evaluate each claim about what is going on in the here and now. side by side.

Like your turtle and my build from less complex interactions. we don't know, but that doesn't mean the turtle is as reasonable.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:46 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You agreed with what is essentially a restatement of the thread title. How do you reconcile this obvious contradiction of your own view?
This is your thread title: God's Existence Avoids the Infinite Regress trap of a Creator

I disagree, because even assuming "God", we still do not know God's origins.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:48 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
God EXISTING is why everything exists. God LIVING is why everything is created and reproducing. God's existence and living requirements determine everything that happens. But as component parts, we are not privy to the whys, but we can investigate the hows. No need for the Creator/Creation nonsense to distract the discussions and no need for any concern over what powers God does or doesn't have.
"God LIVING"?

Perhaps another game of semantics but I am not sure if I agree or I personally understand this concept.

Logically, scientifically and philosophically, our limited human knowledge indicates that anything that "lives", has a start and an end. Anything that "lives" also "dies".

Not sure how does term "Living" could be applied to God?

By faith God was never "born" and by faith, God will never "die". God has no start and no end.

Living and/or life sounds more related to humans and all other biological species rather than it relates to God.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
This is your thread title: God's Existence Avoids the Infinite Regress trap of a Creator

I agree with you here.

assuming "god" doesn't solve the infinite regress. there actually is no real way to solve it. both camps have the problem of infinite regress. when a variable appears on both sides of the equation it cancels out.

The word "god" doesn't get rid of infinite regress, the fact that both atheist and theist have the same the problem with it cancels it out.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:51 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
I see the confusion. The title intends to refer to the EXISTING part of God's existence which removes any need for God to be a Creator and the infinite regress nonsense. God just needs to exist and be a living God.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
"God LIVING"?

Perhaps another game of semantics but I am not sure if I agree or I personally understand this concept.

Logically, scientifically and philosophically, our limited human knowledge indicates that anything that "lives", has a start and an end. Anything that "lives" also "dies".

By faith God was never "born" and by faith, God will never "die". God has no start and no end.
how do you know gods doesn't have a beginning or end?

why is that a requirement?

Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes, thats right. but which one is a more reasonable claim?

if we stick with nobody knows than a god is as good as a turtle.

either way, the infinite regress issue is ended when we just say "we don't know what came before us but we are here now." then we can evaluate each claim about what is going on in the here and now. side by side.

Like your turtle and my build from less complex interactions. we don't know, but that doesn't mean the turtle is as reasonable.
Oh yes, "less complex interactions" is far more reasonable than a giant turtle. Still, we don't know how those "less complex interactions" started, so we haven't really answered the question.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I agree with you here.

assuming "god" doesn't solve the infinite regress. there actually is no real way to solve it. both camps have the problem of infinite regress. when a variable appears on both sides of the equation it cancels out.

The word "god" doesn't get rid of infinite regress, the fact that both atheist and theist have the same the problem with it cancels it out.
Yes, those are my thoughts too.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I see the confusion. The title intends to refer to the EXISTING part of God's existence which removes any need for a Creator and the infinite regress nonsense.
I don't think infinite regress is nonsense as much as it is totally, and completely, irrelevant to the argument.

what is relevant is how come a god would have to be eternal? why can't it come and go as universes come and go?

Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
"God LIVING"?

Living and/or life sounds more related to humans and all other biological species rather than it relates to God.
At the risk of a false dichotomy, what is the alternative to a living God - a dead one? I rejected all the attributes assigned to God by religious dogma when I began my search to see what attributes actually make sense. The Omni's are self-contradictory and the other poorly thought out attributes by the primitive minds make no sense. It seems they were designed to define a God that defies everything we know about our Reality, IOW "supernatural," as if that makes God more God-like. The idea of existing without living is beyond silly for a conscious Being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality