U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 11:02 AM

12,364 posts, read 4,705,574 times

Advertisements

thats the thick of it.

its burning is sad. thats what the focus. The next issue is repair. is it worth it?

to me, religion has no bearing on the choice because i make no choices based on a statement of belief about god or how much I hate religion..

I have one question. is the cost worth it? and to whom goes the profit?

people hating on religion are far to warped to be an effect judge past listening to what they have to say and weighting it. The exact same thing goes for theist.

of course, the anti-religious sect of atheist will pounce, not realizing I always include both sides. Because i don't care about god. its not good for "The A Team".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 AM

8,355 posts, read 4,912,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
As attributed to P. T. Barnum,"There's a sucker born every minute"
Well, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. I know that people flock to see the "miracle" of Jesus' face appearing in a pancake.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:16 AM

54,368 posts, read 53,256,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
And there are people who really believe these relics are the real deal?
Why not? There are people in this day and age who believe they see the face of Jesus in a dirty church window or a grilled cheese sandwich or think that touching a statue or drinking from a holy well will cure them.

Now you probably couldn't persuade most people these days of the authenticity of some of the medieval relics that we find laughable, but if the Church said it was so, they believed it. I am sure there are people now who truly believe that what was in Notre Dame was the actual crown of thorns placed on the head of Jesus according to the gospel account.

As a smart man once told me, the most powerful force in the universe is belief.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 AM

3,339 posts, read 1,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That's a thing? Mkay.
Thatís nothing.

Was the holy foreskin of jesus saved?

Yea, itís a thing

Old 04-16-2019, 11:24 AM

14,952 posts, read 10,131,207 times
Quote:
As attributed to P. T. Barnum,"There's a sucker born every minute"
Mark Twain was right when he said...

'It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince them they have been fooled.'

Old 04-16-2019, 01:47 PM

891 posts, read 402,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
A world heritage site is not something to destroy in order to build a hospital that could be built anywhere. There are many things that are more important than miney, two of them being world heritage sites and world important natural sites. We are too quick to knock down the past to construct some ugly monstrosity that will last maybe decades. This fire, the destruction of the Buddha in Afghanistan, the destruction of the coral reefs are all very sad.

To bring up plowing down this very old and historical building while the pain of its admirers is cold and totally lacks emphathy for your fellow humans. I have never had the opportunity to see Notre Dame however if we do ever visit Paris it was on our list of must see places. I don't turn hospitals.

It's not about how we think about religion, especially in modern times, but what this building meant to the people of the time it was built and the 8 centuries while it stood. Be a bit more respectful to history, architecture and people.
Thank you! You've expressed it so much better than I could!

Old 04-16-2019, 02:13 PM

19,308 posts, read 19,474,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I have never had the opportunity to see Notre Dame however if we do ever visit Paris it was on our list of must see places. I don't turn hospitals.

It's not about how we think about religion, especially in modern times, but what this building meant to the people of the time it was built and the 8 centuries while it stood. Be a bit more respectful to history, architecture and people.
But, darlin', are you desirous of seeing historic Notre Dame or will you be happy just seeing a 2019/2020 or newer replica?
When you touch the walls, will you 'feel' that connection with the probable hundreds of laborers that worked and died to build the damn thing? Or will a new 3D inspired mock up do it for you?
Thankfully and hopefully there's enough of the original(?)left to convey

Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 PM

5,615 posts, read 2,191,472 times
Quote:
But, darlin', are you desirous of seeing historic Notre Dame or will you be happy just seeing a 2019/2020 or newer replica?
When you touch the walls, will you 'feel' that connection with the probable hundreds of laborers that worked and died to build the damn thing? Or will a new 3D inspired mock up do it for you?
No personally I am not interested in seeing or touching a mock up or reproduction. If that be the case I'd rather they just leave it unrest ore and as a ruin. I would not wish to see a hospital or a Trump Towers built there. No idea why you would ask me about a new mock up when I mentioned it's historical value. Puzzled.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:45 PM

37,722 posts, read 10,246,183 times
What it comes down to is - how badly is it damaged? It the roof is gone, interior gutted, towers half gone, windows burst into the road, leave it as a sad ruin or as Raffs says, build something worthwhile. If however, it's saveable, save it. new roof, etc, and not to perpetuate the myth, though that's what will happen, and the fact that it could be saved (like the Cutty Sark) will be heralded as a miracle in some quarters, but simply as architecture. I'd feel the same about St Paul's or the tower of London. I suspect I'd say good riddance to Pukin's Pseudo - Gothic monstrosity at Westminster.

Reports aren't clear, but it looks as though the main superstructure is standing.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:35 PM

891 posts, read 402,379 times
Quote:
You, sir/miss old-cold, is mistaken.

I don't care about religous reasons, I care about culture.

heeyyyy da'lin'..i ai'n't car' whout u sayd. Coz all right.

I'm sorry that you never travelled out of "fill it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality