U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2019, 02:27 PM
 
8,347 posts, read 3,717,863 times
Reputation: 1879

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If the FSM appeared in your bedroom at night and waggled His Noodly appendages at you, you'd believe in Him allright.

Waving superstitious fantasies around as impalpable attempts at intimidation are just something to laugh at.
Labeling something as superstition doesn't make it so. There is plenty of evidence that demonic activity is real. Furthermore, the last thing Satan would want is for you to believe in him so of course, he remains hidden. Because then you would have to acknowledge that Christianity is real too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2019, 03:48 PM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
10,900 posts, read 10,812,243 times
Reputation: 7253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Labeling something as superstition doesn't make it so. There is plenty of evidence that demonic activity is real. Furthermore, the last thing Satan would want is for you to believe in him so of course, he remains hidden. Because then you would have to acknowledge that Christianity is real too.
What is the evidence that demonic activity is real?
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2019, 03:48 PM
 
37,857 posts, read 10,276,498 times
Reputation: 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Labeling something as superstition doesn't make it so. There is plenty of evidence that demonic activity is real. Furthermore, the last thing Satan would want is for you to believe in him so of course, he remains hidden. Because then you would have to acknowledge that Christianity is real too.
There is plenty of 'evidence' that may be adduced by the believers, but the fact is that it does not form part of the corpus of verified data. So you are left with nothing but unverified claims. And, in arguing that Satan is 'hidden' you are conceding that there is no decent evidence for such a being.

Belief in what has no decent evidence for it is what we call 'supersition'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2019, 03:54 PM
 
12,511 posts, read 4,723,268 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Labeling something as superstition doesn't make it so. There is plenty of evidence that demonic activity is real. Furthermore, the last thing Satan would want is for you to believe in him so of course, he remains hidden. Because then you would have to acknowledge that Christianity is real too.
the best I would entertain is that a person with a broken brain does really bad things is devilish. I will also accept that there are times a brain can appear to realign and seem "fixed", or at least functional, from that point on.

so we may see the same event its just that you, mistakenly, think its the devil. Its probably just something you misunderstand or emotionally need to be real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2019, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Rutherfordton,NC
13,862 posts, read 8,813,061 times
Reputation: 9419
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Written by men who brag about being lying scum sucking sinner from birth, right?
Thatís a start yes,but thereís more to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 PM
 
8,347 posts, read 3,717,863 times
Reputation: 1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There is plenty of 'evidence' that may be adduced by the believers, but the fact is that it does not form part of the corpus of verified data. So you are left with nothing but unverified claims. And, in arguing that Satan is 'hidden' you are conceding that there is no decent evidence for such a being.

Belief in what has no decent evidence for it is what we call 'supersition'.
And how do you propose to verify evidence? If you witness it yourself then the next skeptic will say the same thing. Your eyewitness testimony doesn't count. If hundreds of people witness it, same thing. Discounted immediately. The evidence is out there if you have an open mind and willing to explore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
14,980 posts, read 10,142,586 times
Reputation: 2553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And how do you propose to verify evidence? If you witness it yourself then the next skeptic will say the same thing. Your eyewitness testimony doesn't count. If hundreds of people witness it, same thing. Discounted immediately. The evidence is out there if you have an open mind and willing to explore it.
The evidence for Oberon is there too...if you open your mind wide enough for your brain to fall out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM
 
37,857 posts, read 10,276,498 times
Reputation: 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And how do you propose to verify evidence? If you witness it yourself then the next skeptic will say the same thing. Your eyewitness testimony doesn't count. If hundreds of people witness it, same thing. Discounted immediately. The evidence is out there if you have an open mind and willing to explore it.
It is. As you say, anecdotal evidence doesn't cut it. Repeatable and verifiable evidence does. I'm sorry (not really ) but what can't be repeated and verified, even if not yet investigated and explained, by science is not evidence, but is merely an unvalidated claim. if it is beyond the Scientific...the scientific...ohh the word thrills me even in my old age... understanding of how the material and physical world (ooh the Thrills) works, we call it superstition.

On the other hand, the evidence is out there if you explore it with an open mind. The evidence that the Bible is wrong, contradictory and (I believe is demonstrable) fabricated and Not eyewitness. The evidence is out there (or In there, rather), but the Open Mind and willingness to explore is just what I find too often missing.

You know how it works Jeff: "I don't care what the evidence says - I believe the Bible is True..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
 
12,511 posts, read 4,723,268 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And how do you propose to verify evidence? If you witness it yourself then the next skeptic will say the same thing. Your eyewitness testimony doesn't count. If hundreds of people witness it, same thing. Discounted immediately. The evidence is out there if you have an open mind and willing to explore it.
lets just look at it.

dying&rising for our sins.

what type of evidence is reasonable about that event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
 
12,511 posts, read 4,723,268 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is. As you say, anecdotal evidence doesn't cut it. Repeatable and verifiable evidence does. I'm sorry (not really ) but what can't be repeated and verified, even if not yet investigated and explained, by science is not evidence, but is merely an unvalidated claim. if it is beyond the Scientific...the scientific...ohh the word thrills me even in my old age... understanding of how the material and physical world (ooh the Thrills) works, we call it superstition.

On the other hand, the evidence is out there if you explore it with an open mind. The evidence that the Bible is wrong, contradictory and (I believe is demonstrable) fabricated and Not eyewitness. The evidence is out there (or In there, rather), but the Open Mind and willingness to explore is just what I find too often missing.

You know how it works Jeff: "I don't care what the evidence says - I believe the Bible is True..."
yeah, "it apologetic", straw man. he's a jerk, its not relavent to me, "I have a feeling about religion/god".

are not evidence.

but they are the tools of deceitful people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top