U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
 
8,347 posts, read 3,717,863 times
Reputation: 1879

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is. As you say, anecdotal evidence doesn't cut it. Repeatable and verifiable evidence does. I'm sorry (not really ) but what can't be repeated and verified, even if not yet investigated and explained, by science is not evidence, but is merely an unvalidated claim. if it is beyond the Scientific...the scientific...ohh the word thrills me even in my old age... understanding of how the material and physical world (ooh the Thrills) works, we call it superstition.
It is a fallacy to assume that everything can be proven via the scientific method. We are talking about non-physical entities here. So of course, you are not going to reproduce something in a lab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post


On the other hand, the evidence is out there if you explore it with an open mind. The evidence that the Bible is wrong, contradictory and (I believe is demonstrable) fabricated and Not eyewitness. The evidence is out there (or In there, rather), but the Open Mind and willingness to explore is just what I find too often missing.

You know how it works Jeff: "I don't care what the evidence says - I believe the Bible is True..."
The Bible is spiritual in nature and meant to be read and understood only by those who are born again. Think about it. Pastors can mine hundreds of unique sermons out of a single passage. No other book in the world is like that. So any claims of contradictions or errors from just a surface level reading is invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
Status: "Busy. Playoffs." (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,135 posts, read 13,046,610 times
Reputation: 11487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It is a fallacy to assume that everything can be proven via the scientific method. We are talking about non-physical entities here. So of course, you are not going to reproduce something in a lab.



The Bible is spiritual in nature and meant to be read and understood only by those who are born again. Think about it. Pastors can mine hundreds of unique sermons out of a single passage. No other book in the world is like that. So any claims of contradictions or errors from just a surface level reading is invalid.
Clang! Clang!

jeff's FODI is every bit as impervious to truth and reason as omega's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
 
37,857 posts, read 10,276,498 times
Reputation: 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It is a fallacy to assume that everything can be proven via the scientific method. We are talking about non-physical entities here. So of course, you are not going to reproduce something in a lab.
Nobody is assuming that everything can be proven in a lab., But it is even more of a fallacy to argue that we should credit a claim or entity for which no validation exists, which includes anecdotal healing claims which have not been validated.

This includes dubious claims in Evangelical propaganda brochures and even such which have not been explained, assuming they actually happened and are not faked up in order to provide a reason to canonise a dreadful women who deserves rather to be denounced.

Bottom line, Jeff, if Science hasn't tested it to death and declared that it passes the tests, it doesn't support any particular explanatory hypothesis, including Goddunnit.

Quote:
The Bible is spiritual in nature and meant to be read and understood only by those who are born again. Think about it. Pastors can mine hundreds of unique sermons out of a single passage. No other book in the world is like that. So any claims of contradictions or errors from just a surface level reading is invalid.
No wonder there are so many sects and denominations, all damning the others to Hell.

When you can all get them to agree on One interpretation, denomination and dogma, get back to us. until then, the church(es ) are the last people we are inclined to go to in order to understand the Bible.

I'm not going to name any names as I haven't asked them whether they've been born again, but so far, my experience of Christian apologetic exegesis is they don't even know what's in the Bible or want to be enlightened about that, never mind understand it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; Yesterday at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,384 posts, read 5,958,803 times
Reputation: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

The Bible is spiritual in nature and meant to be read and understood only by those who are born again.
LOL, I need to use this one the next time some Christian comes and tells me all the answers are in the bible. I can tell him it's a waste of time because I am incapable of reading and understanding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
 
Location: NSW
2,679 posts, read 1,818,474 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It is a fallacy to assume that everything can be proven via the scientific method. We are talking about non-physical entities here. So of course, you are not going to reproduce something in a lab.



The Bible is spiritual in nature and meant to be read and understood only by those who are born again. Think about it. Pastors can mine hundreds of unique sermons out of a single passage. No other book in the world is like that. So any claims of contradictions or errors from just a surface level reading is invalid.
Really?
Only born agains can understand the Bible?
Of course this is not the first time I have read such a claim, who claim the gift of discernment is only available to such individuals.
The only argument for this is deductive logic -like a lot of Evangelicals do and take out of context, but it is not explicitly stated in the Bible, so cannot be proven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:16 AM
 
8,347 posts, read 3,717,863 times
Reputation: 1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
LOL, I need to use this one the next time some Christian comes and tells me all the answers are in the bible. I can tell him it's a waste of time because I am incapable of reading and understanding it.
All your post does is prove the Bible yet again

Quote:

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.


1 Corinthians 2:14


You can't understand spiritual things if you have rejected the Spirit of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:50 AM
Status: "Pr 6:16-19, JeffBase, Pneuma!" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Germany
4,317 posts, read 782,808 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The Bible is spiritual in nature and meant to be read and understood only by those who are born again. Think about it. Pastors can mine hundreds of unique sermons out of a single passage. No other book in the world is like that. So any claims of contradictions or errors from just a surface level reading is invalid.
Shorter Jeff base, you can just invent what you want to avoid such problems as having 5 gods in your monotheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:14 PM
 
37,857 posts, read 10,276,498 times
Reputation: 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
All your post does is prove the Bible yet again




1 Corinthians 2:14


You can't understand spiritual things if you have rejected the Spirit of God.
That is a white flag Jeff if only you realised it. It is saying that you are all wrong because I have Faith and the Bible agrees with me on that.

If you had any rational and soundly evidence-based case, you wouldn't need to appeal to being right on Faith. None of you would.

You do realise that your Faith imparts Understanding that makes you deny what the Bible actually says (hate to bring up slavery again but - ) or what the graphs on irreligion said. It hardly makes us see Bible understanding through Faith as nothing more than that self -justification, because it actually discredits the Bible and the religion, even if it is a handy way of denying that you are wrong no matter what the evidence is.

And that's how Faith works and why it is Not a virtue but an evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:52 PM
Status: "Ask Keats" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,844 posts, read 3,909,462 times
Reputation: 4081
THE CAT IS WISE

Back in 1988 (Go back and look it up) I said that the whole Satanic Thing was a hoax...that I did not believe in it, that it was a myth of national and religious paranoia perpetrated by the religious right, and that mindless Caprinea encourages by the sensationalist media. And I was right.

Satan does not exist. Satan never existed, except in the minds of people who needed an excuse to justify purely human behavior. and sell seats in the Pews on Sundays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:59 PM
 
5,630 posts, read 2,194,809 times
Reputation: 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
THE CAT IS WISE

Back in 1988 (Go back and look it up) I said that the whole Satanic Thing was a hoax...that I did not believe in it, that it was a myth of national and religious paranoia perpetrated by the religious right, and that mindless Caprinea encourages by the sensationalist media. And I was right.

Satan does not exist. Satan never existed, except in the minds of people who needed an excuse to justify purely human behavior. and sell seats in the Pews on Sundays.
The idea of Satan is IMHO the least reasonable religious belief. And it 8s certainly not universal believing in him or it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top