U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:26 AM

4,522 posts, read 1,155,656 times

Advertisements

where did you find that dictionary? or did you make it up?

english

wrath
[raTH]
NOUN
literary
humorous
wraths (plural noun)
extreme anger (chiefly used for humorous or rhetorical effect).
"he hid his pipe for fear of incurring his father's wrath"
synonyms:
anger ∑ rage ∑ fury ∑ annoyance ∑ indignation ∑ outrage ∑ pique ∑ spleen ∑ chagrin ∑ vexation ∑ exasperation ∑ dudgeon ∑ high dudgeon ∑ hot temper ∑ bad temper ∑ bad mood ∑ ill humor ∑ irritation ∑ irritability ∑ crossness ∑ displeasure ∑ discontentment ∑ disgruntlement ∑ irascibility ∑ cantankerousness ∑ peevishness ∑ querulousness ∑ crabbiness ∑ testiness ∑ tetchiness ∑ snappishness ∑ air rage ∑ ire ∑ choler
antonyms:
happiness ∑ good humor

Greek
passion, angry, heat, anger forthwith boiling up and soon subsiding again

glow, ardour, the wine of passion, inflaming wine (which either drives the drinker mad or kills him with its strength)

Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
θυμός thymůs, thoo-mos'; from G2380; passion (as if breathing hard):—fierceness, indignation, wrath. Compare G5590.

Hebrew the Lords wrath..

Chemah
The KJV translates Strong's H2534 in the following manner: fury (67x), wrath (34x), poison (6x), furious (4x), displeasure (3x), rage (2x), anger (1x), bottles (1x), furious (with H1167) (1x), furiously (1x), heat (1x), indignation (1x), wrathful (1x), wroth (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
heat, rage, hot displeasure, indignation, anger, wrath, poison, bottles

heat

fever

venom, poison (fig.)

burning anger, rage

Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
חֵמָה chÍm‚h, khay-maw'; or (Daniel 11:44) חֵמָא chÍm‚ʼ; from H3179; heat; figuratively, anger, poison (from its fever):—anger, bottles, hot displeasure, furious(-ly, -ry), heat, indignation, poison, rage, wrath(-ful). See H2529.
Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon [?]
H2534

did you see sweetness and light in there anywhere, I sure don't ?
it is heat and hot,, like passion.. but not like lovey-dovey kinds of passion.
not as a man has for a woman.. as a man has for war or protection!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 12:13 PM

15,885 posts, read 8,046,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
where did you find that dictionary?
Strong's, online. Blueletterbible.org. As I said, I was referencing the root word from which the Greek word for "wrath" was derived, (according to Strong's).

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang...gs=G3713&t=KJV

to stretch one's self out in order to touch or to grasp something, to reach after or desire something

Old 04-23-2019, 12:58 PM

16,027 posts, read 7,497,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Strong's, online. Blueletterbible.org. As I said, I was referencing the root word from which the Greek word for "wrath" was derived, (according to Strong's).

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang...gs=G3713&t=KJV

to stretch one's self out in order to touch or to grasp something, to reach after or desire something
There will always be those who seem to think that God has multiple personality disorder, with elements that conflict with others rather than see how perceptions may form a unity.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:20 PM

5,828 posts, read 1,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its more like you have love then there is light in you. thus you not "in hell" or "darkness".
Where do you get that great truth from?
Quote:
weather its god or not is irrelevant.

but who really acres anyway.
God cares. He created the universe. He gets to decide.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:57 PM

12,580 posts, read 4,759,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Where do you get that great truth from?

God cares. He created the universe. He gets to decide.
maybe from the bible.

I see no reason for this god thing to care about me anymore than I do my body parts.

I got that from watching earth systems.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:59 PM

12,580 posts, read 4,759,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
There will always be those who seem to think that God has multiple personality disorder, with elements that conflict with others rather than see how perceptions may form a unity.
I agree again. like if we played only clips of nate being mad next to clips of him only happy and called nate split?

Old 04-23-2019, 07:02 PM

16,027 posts, read 7,497,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I agree again. like if we played only clips of nate being mad next to clips of him only happy and called nate split?
No, because that's only about mood, not character. It would be more like some people saying that Nate is honest and others saying that Nate is just mean. Honesty might hurt those who are not willing to accept their faults, but it is not necessarily mean. It could be helpful if the mind is not closed.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 PM

25,193 posts, read 13,094,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, because that's only about mood, not character. It would be more like some people saying that Nate is honest and others saying that Nate is just mean. Honesty might hurt those who are not willing to accept their faults, but it is not necessarily mean. It could be helpful if the mind is not closed.
Exactly.

It's like me reproving and correcting fundies. My honesty offends them. But I continue to hope I can reach a mind that's not quite closed.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:12 PM

7,865 posts, read 4,646,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Thank You for this info.
Do you know what exactly was the belief of “correct Judaism”?

This is very interesting to me.
Yes, the idea was that the two main branches of Judaism at the time: The Sadducees and Pharisees were taken over by Pagan Rome because they were "not truly Jewish" enough for Yahweh (although both were extremely religious and zealous).

So Yahweh pre-knew this, and he had chosen them for this, but now they are no longer "biologically chosen" because Yahweh has decided through his sacrifice of his self-son to teach "true Isrealism (my word)" and extend an olive branch to the nonJews and save everyone equally if they just and only worship the Last Jewish Messiah (who they sometimes think is the ONLY Messiah/Anointed) who they think is Paul's Jesus as the Monotheist God that they think he IS...a part and whole of.
That would, of course, break Yahweh's promise of making the Jews more numerous than the stars and being respected and looked-up to by the nonJews. But the Christians often say that the Jews broke the promise first by being Sadducee and Pharisee, and God's patience with them "denying him" ended when they didn't accept the pagan idea that their World Leader should be a god/divine entity's equal-avatar.

Everything Jesus said is thus often interpreted through Romanized-Jew Paul, which brought a more favorable/easy religion to the pagans and their descendants than Jesus did in the Gospels. Jesus is described as "correctly reinterprating" many Old Testament laws and writings.

Jesus: "Look at a women with lust, you have already committed adultery"
Jesus: "It is not what you eat, but what you spit (say) that defiles you"
Paul: Don't matter what you do or say inside or outside your mind, just worship Jesus and you have the desire that you want - eternal bliss for you and your converted loved ones.

Etc.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-23-2019 at 10:21 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 10:51 PM

7,865 posts, read 4,646,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
When I consider the idea that the root of the Greek word translated "wrath" has a meaning of longing for, reaching out after, desire, then it could fit with a God who is love reaching out to humanity through the Jesus narrative, sure.
Is love jealous/envious though?

Because Yahweh says "I am jealousy/envy"

And Paul says "God is Love. Love is not jealous/envious."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or