U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 AM

21,289 posts, read 14,003,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Would not attend a church that did this, or

a church that did NOT do this.
Yes to all of this. I cannot imagine a church suing a member for non payment of tithes. But, if someone signs a contract, then I suppose it could. This would be a good way to rapidly lose members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 AM

8,527 posts, read 4,995,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Wow, I had no idea you could be held responsible for something you do not use in this supposedly "great" country of States. I mean, couldn't "energy bills" then be the same? I understand that phone bills can legally charge you, but the State also requires them to speedily terminate service if you do not pay. They cannot stack up your debt indefinitely, nor even for the "time term" of the (often 2 years) contracts.
They must turn off your phone service within a month or two, no?

Like I said, however, contracts can be illegal (have illegal terms) and thus be void.

Here is something I found about gym contracts. https://www.thrillist.com/culture/ho...aking-contract
I think it makes complete sense. If the gym has members, the gym must be available for member use. The overhead is the same whether the gym members show up or not. The gym can't tell an employee or the electric company "Oh, as member usage was low, you will not be getting paid." It's a pretty simple concept, really. Have you never had a paid membership to any organization?

Certainly, contracts can have illegal terms and thus be void.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes to all of this. I cannot imagine a church suing a member for non payment of tithes. But, if someone signs a contract, then I suppose it could. This would be a good way to rapidly lose members.
One would hope. But I would think being asked to sign a contract in the first place would be a good way to rapidly lose members.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 AM

38,400 posts, read 10,509,634 times
Can a church sue you for tithe money?

I can't believe how I'm resisting this

Old 05-01-2019, 10:22 AM

34,688 posts, read 31,757,939 times
Our old church sent out what looked like a bill to us and on it stated we normally gave X amount of dollars. Please submit payment to bring your offering up to normal. We were behind X dollars from normal because my wife lost her job.
The pastor bought a new house in the most expensive part of La Jolla.

I was so angry at this we switched churches right after.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM

55,035 posts, read 53,796,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Our old church sent out what looked like a bill to us and on it stated we normally gave X amount of dollars. Please submit payment to bring your offering up to normal. We were behind X dollars from normal because my wife lost her job.
The pastor bought a new house in the most expensive part of La Jolla.

I was so angry at this we switched churches right after.
I find this sort of thing appalling. Even without the expensive house purchase. You give what you WANT to give.

Yes, I get that they need the pledges at the beginning of the year to make a budget, but things happen. Sending out a letter like that is rude and unChristian. At least have the decency to say, "Hey, are you struggling financially? Because if so, we can help you out because we take care of our own."

Old 05-01-2019, 06:30 PM

434 posts, read 160,851 times
Tithing is a scam that uses some loosely threaded scriptures to manipulate people into thinking that they are stealing from god if they don't fork over 10% of their money to the church. Offerings are totally reasonable because it is a true act of giving from the heart, not an obligatory scheme to guilt people into giving 10%

Old 05-02-2019, 01:11 AM

7,956 posts, read 4,687,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I think it makes complete sense. If the gym has members, the gym must be available for member use. The overhead is the same whether the gym members show up or not. The gym can't tell an employee or the electric company "Oh, as member usage was low, you will not be getting paid." It's a pretty simple concept, really. Have you never had a paid membership to any organization?

Certainly, contracts can have illegal terms and thus be void.
In fact, a gym can EXACTLY tell that to an employee or the electric company!!! What is a gym supposed to be a sacred business upheld above phone companies or electric companies by the State? Then the State should pay for it.

An electric company cannot say "well we charged them for 10 years of likely (expected use or that payment required to maintain the company going) and available electricity use, as per contract, although they didn't use any, because we might fail as a business otherwise."

Yes, I've had paid memberships to many organizations. Most times I did not sign any contracts for membership (payment and use were on a monthly basis), and being a member of my HOA does not require me selling my soul away. If I don't pay, they quickly remove all privileges... they do not keep legally charging me indefinitely because "possible use of the privileges has remained available".

How stupid can lazy people be, honestly? There should be masses and droves of people forcing their government to work for them as citizens, not for exorbitant non-use-still-charge contract-clubs.

I understand that dumb rich people can be duped into such contracts with country clubs and not feel any pain at the loss (since it is not as easy to be aware of as taxes), but how could middle-class people allow themselves to pay for a year's worth of a gym they did not use (after the fact of not using it, not before... I can understand paying in advance for a year and then losing that investment if you don't use it).

Old 05-02-2019, 01:13 AM

7,956 posts, read 4,687,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
One would hope. But I would think being asked to sign a contract in the first place would be a good way to rapidly lose members.
Or (if they are not as concerned about member numbers.... as perhaps they are already rich) it would be a good way to prune away those more willing to question and think, in order to get better control and more work out of the abandoned gullible and naive.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
In fact, a gym can EXACTLY tell that to an employee or the electric company!!! What is a gym supposed to be a sacred business upheld above phone companies or electric companies by the State? Then the State should pay for it.

An electric company cannot say "well we charged them for 10 years of likely (expected use or that payment required to maintain the company going) and available electricity use, as per contract, although they didn't use any, because we might fail as a business otherwise."

Yes, I've had paid memberships to many organizations. Most times I did not sign any contracts for membership (payment and use were on a monthly basis), and being a member of my HOA does not require me selling my soul away. If I don't pay, they quickly remove all privileges... they do not keep legally charging me indefinitely because "possible use of the privileges has remained available".

How stupid can lazy people be, honestly? There should be masses and droves of people forcing their government to work for them as citizens, not for exorbitant non-use-still-charge contract-clubs.

I understand that dumb rich people can be duped into such contracts with country clubs and not feel any pain at the loss (since it is not as easy to be aware of as taxes), but how could middle-class people allow themselves to pay for a year's worth of a gym they did not use (after the fact of not using it, not before... I can understand paying in advance for a year and then losing that investment if you don't use it).
Well, this is a unique perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality