U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:17 PM

12,570 posts, read 4,747,500 times

Advertisements

2.5 hours, I wouldn't want to sit through my kids confirmation at 2.5 hours.

45 min ... then party time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 04:51 PM

7,814 posts, read 4,636,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I told her I would go. Have to rush home from work and get there. I was told itís 2.5 hours. I canít sit in a church for 2.5 hours (Iím not Christian but couldnít sit in a synagogue for 2 hours either). She is upset because my husband wonít go. I am going because I feel obligated. If I had kids, I personally would never ask friends to come to any of their performances, school, or religious events. Would you expect your friends to go? I sat through 3 of her kids Communions and that was hard.
Should have told her you'd try to get to her 4th kid's Catholic Communion ritual celebration, but they are too long and boring as you've already experienced 3 of them. You haven't grown any younger and that day you are working, so you might arrive late, depending on traffic. Your husband is a man with certain preconceptions and obligations and worries, so he is less inclined to respect those who don't respect him (did they even ask about how he was feeling?) first. If they are upset with your husband "for" you, then let them know there is no need because although your husband won't be there for it, it is not because of you, it is because of them. And in fact, you pretty much feel the same as him, although you feel more obligated than he does for whatever reason or the other. Personally, you wouldn't even do what they are doing, but you understand that they probably wish for a lot of attendees to feel better and special with themselves or whatever.

Well, they say hindsight is 20/20

But telling them a blunt truth might hurt them and they might be vindictive and self-righteous. Rather than understanding. What a dangerous group of "friends" to have.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:06 PM

19,369 posts, read 19,518,214 times
This is really a friendship dilemma, not a religious one.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 4,936,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Should have told her you'd try to get to her 4th kid's Catholic Communion ritual celebration, but they are too long and boring as you've already experienced 3 of them. You haven't grown any younger and that day you are working, so you might arrive late, depending on traffic. Your husband is a man with certain preconceptions and obligations and worries, so he is less inclined to respect those who don't respect him (did they even ask about how he was feeling?) first. If they are upset with your husband "for" you, then let them know there is no need because although your husband won't be there for it, it is not because of you, it is because of them. And in fact, you pretty much feel the same as him, although you feel more obligated than he does for whatever reason or the other. Personally, you wouldn't even do what they are doing, but you understand that they probably wish for a lot of attendees to feel better and special with themselves or whatever.

Well, they say hindsight is 20/20

But telling them a blunt truth might hurt them and they might be vindictive and self-righteous. Rather than understanding. What a dangerous group of "friends" to have.
It's too late for this particular event. It would have been perfectly OK to decline the invitation when it was extended; it's very rude to accept but then just not show up.

But OP, practice saying "no". Stop agreeing to attend things you do not wish to attend.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:03 PM

12,570 posts, read 4,747,500 times
yeah i agree with the general gist.

Can i have a party to celebrate my kids lacrosse career? It took three generation of sacrifice to get him there. And can he get an envelope?

Old 04-23-2019, 08:36 PM

3,774 posts, read 1,957,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This is really a friendship dilemma, not a religious one.

Also, where I come from, 2.5 hours covers the first half of the first service of the day. That's not even counting Sunday school. Don't ever befriend any black church-goers, unless they're Catholic.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 PM

8,615 posts, read 8,161,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

Also, where I come from, 2.5 hours covers the first half of the first service of the day. That's not even counting Sunday school.
Yikes!!

No way. Not going to do it. I put in an hour every few years when I visit my parents for xmas, and a similar amount for weddings and funerals now and again. 2.5 hours for a First Communion event, or more than that on a regular basis, is simply insane.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 1,957,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yikes!!

No way. Not going to do it. I put in an hour every few years when I visit my parents for xmas, and a similar amount for weddings and funerals now and again. 2.5 hours for a First Communion event, or more than that on a regular basis, is simply insane.
It really is terrible. But it made me realize I don't need religion to have God, so some good came out of it lol.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:30 AM

258 posts, read 96,663 times
I’m assuming it’s a regular mass with the Confirmations near the end.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 AM

19,369 posts, read 19,518,214 times
so skip the mass and go in for the confirmation part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or