Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:56 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Technically, the 4th dimension is time, though I think some dispute that now.
That still remains the mainstream 4th dimension as in Minkowski's topological "vier dimensionale Welt" for which he provided irrefutable proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 07:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
So is everyone who lives after a serious accident, illness or injury a miracle... or only those that exceed some threshold? If the latter, what is that threshold?

Serious questions... just trying to understand what counts as a miracle, versus what counts as "glad they survived but doesn't rise to the level of miracle."
Yes, especially given that other children in other religions or of no religion have fallen 40 feet before and survived it healthily after long ICU stays with various work. And I'm sure the "bad miracle of death and annihilation/heaven" has occurred to both of these as well.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That still remains the mainstream 4th dimension as in Minkowski's topological "vier dimensionale Welt" for which he provided irrefutable proof.
"irrefutable proof" would make it unfalsifiable dictations and thus not science. You probably meant unrefuted proof as of yet. Hopefully, there was some sort of predictive value in Minkowski's idea?

Old 04-28-2019, 09:47 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
If I thought your god existed I would have very good reasons to despise it/him/her. But I don't so I don't. That's what makes me an atheist (as in a-theist - not believing in the existence of gods). But what exactly do you perceive as making this god of yours so special? I've been told about how 'God' is love and all that but why would a 'loving god' do such a cruel and inhumane thing? But 'mad'? No. Nature can do cruel things but then, nature is inanimate and such things fall under the category of s**t happens.

The whole genesis nonsense is ridiculous. This god portrayed is an idiot and irresponsible sick individual. First he didn't eliminate this tempting tree in this so called garden??!! Second you don't eliminate this devil character. I really could never get out of genesis without thinking it was all a BS story.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:35 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,702,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I am not sure if you all heard about this story. But about a week and a half ago, a 5 year old little boy was thrown from the 3rd floor balcony at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. He fell and hit the floor 40 feet below. He has been in the ICCU now for 10 days. There are a go fund me account a family member started and almost a million dollar has been raised for him and his recovery process.
Quote:

They call it a miracle.

I am not religious and I don't know if I believe in miracles. But when I read this...I'm starting to wonder. How do somebody fall 40 feet, hit a hard marble floor,with no significant injuries. That is amazing. I have heard about the powers of prayers.
If he was in the ICU for ten days, he obviously had significant injuries.

Quote:
So, what is your opinion and have you ever experienced what you would call a miracle.
What's a miracle? Hard to say, exactly, it being one of those hopelessly vague religious concepts. Presumably, that which is inexplicable. But his survival isn't inexplicable. He fell about 40 feet. Some people survive such falls. Some of the survivors have no long-term injuries. Slam a plane full of people into the ground, and sometimes you have a survivor or two. Hundreds of people put guns to their heads in suicide attempts, and some number fail to kill themselves. A few years ago, a drunken cheesehead (a Wisconsonian) managed to accidentally crash his way through a hallway window at a Minneapolis Hyatt and fall 16 stories onto an awning, escaping with just a broken leg. It happens. In this case, I daresay, a week and a half of round-the-clock care by numerous trained professionals contributed to this boy's survival, no?

Now, had the airborne lad found gravity's pull arrested, and floated like a feather to the ground, that would be inexplicable. Had he landed on his feet unharmed and rushed up the escalators proclaiming that that was fun and he wanted to do it again, that would be inexplicable. But, no. He suffered serious injuries. It took modern science and the medical infrastructure of an advance industrialized nation to pull the boy through.

It would be a pretty sick deity who supposedly possessed the ability to protect this boy, yet allowed him to go through what must have been the sheer terror of being thrown, not to mention the pain and suffering of his recovery, to intervene only to bring him back from the precipice of death. If said deity intervened, why not prevent the horror (which will probably haunt him for the rest of his life) entirely? That's what's so absurd about the idea of most miracles.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,190 times
Quote:
I am not sure if you all heard about this story. But about a week and a half ago, a 5 year old little boy was thrown from the 3rd floor balcony at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. He fell and hit the floor 40 feet below. He has been in the ICCU now for 10 days. There are a go fund me account a family member started and almost a million dollar has been raised for him and his recovery process.

Well, every so often the family post updates on his recovery.

Apparently, when the boy was thrown over the railing, and people were screaming and hollering, the mother apparently yelled for people to pray. And throughout his time in the ICU, they have asked for prayers. At one of the updates , all available to read on the gofundme account, the family made the mention about the hospital room being so warm and comforting...something like that.

So several thousand people have donated and almost million dollars have been raised for his recovery. Today I believe, the latest update states, He is still in ICU, but after testing and a 5 hour MRI ( that's a really long MRI ), they found him to have no brain bleeds or swelling or spinal cord or nerve injuries. " A doctor compared the boy's injuries to falling off a bicycle rather than falling three stories"

They call it a miracle.

I am not religious and I don't know if I believe in miracles. But when I read this...I'm starting to wonder. How do somebody fall 40 feet, hit a hard marble floor,with no significant injuries. That is amazing. I have heard about the powers of prayers. So this little boy received hundred of thousands of prayers or even more, and then this update today.....
So do you guys believe prayers make a difference?
https://www.gofundme.com/Landonprayers
https://www.fox9.com/news/-doctors-w...led-miraculous

So, what is your opinion and have you ever experienced what you would call a miracle.

I cannot believe people are still in denial about angels. That was definitely a miracle. Many people could not survive falling off a curb, much less, 3 stories.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 PM

1,402 posts, read 476,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I cannot believe people are still in denial about angels. That was definitely a miracle. Many people could not survive falling off a curb, much less, 3 stories.
On the other hand, large numbers of people have survived falling much farther than 3 stories. And then there are the majority who do survive falling off curbs. Are they all miracles? How do we distinguish miracles from clumsy curb trippers who don't even skin a knee?

Old 05-09-2019, 08:57 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
On the other hand, large numbers of people have survived falling much farther than 3 stories. And then there are the majority who do survive falling off curbs. Are they all miracles? How do we distinguish miracles from clumsy curb trippers who don't even skin a knee?

There are people who don't survive falling 3+ stories or curbs. Which makes this a miracle.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
There are people who don't survive falling 3+ stories or curbs. Which makes this a miracle.
That makes no sense what so ever.

There are children who don't survive a dive in a lake.
There are children with total locked-in syndrome.

Even when many different types of bad things happen, they are "awful" and unlikely.

But what cannot be a miracle to a biased eye? How is dying while tripping on a curb not a miracle to those that believe in unworshipable slave-gods/angels then? Do they not expect heaven afterward?

They are so scared of death that they delude themselves (or sometimes go psychotic, in some cases).

It adulterates the meaning of miracle to the cheap satisfaction of their short-sighted personal comfort.

I like it, very useful in various desperate situations.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:47 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
I cannot believe people are still in denial about angels.
I cannot believe that, in 2019, there are people walking among us that believe angels are real.

Quote:
Many people could not survive falling off a curb, much less, 3 stories.
...and yet nearly everyone that falls off a curb survives the experience. Are they all 'miracles'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality