Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 07:37 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,815,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Ever since a poster a decade ago that swore that his church had the lame, the bedridden and the terminally ill queuing up and after some prayer sessions, they were dancing away and the pick up was filled with crutches and wheelchairs, we are used to posters making claims about miracle healings that we are supposed to accept a face value. Alleluia.
On visiting the shrine at Lourdes and seeing the pile of discarded crutches and sticks, the French poet Anatole France exclaimed...'What, what! No wooden legs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 AM

1,402 posts, read 473,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
On visiting the shrine at Lourdes and seeing the pile of discarded crutches and sticks, the French poet Anatole France exclaimed...'What, what! No wooden legs?
.... and THAT'S why there isn't any humor or satire in religious writings (see other thread)!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,994,782 times
Sometimes when people escape death they are so grateful they simply want to thank someone or something. I'm conscious now of how that can be offensive to others.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,607,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Sometimes when people escape death they are so grateful they simply want to thank someone or something. I'm conscious now of how that can be offensive to others.
How did you arrive at this conclusion? There's nothing offensive about someone escaping death or feeling grateful. However, it does not rise to the level of proof of a divine entity.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,681,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Ignorance isn't offensive.

Lamentable, yes.
Pitiable, certainly - especially when it's intentional.
Dangerous, often.

But not offensive.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,043,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Ignorance isn't offensive.

Lamentable, yes.
Pitiable, certainly - especially when it's intentional.
Dangerous, often.

But not offensive.
I'm offended at ignorance only when I expect the opposite, such as in grave travesty, but not really even in grave tragedy.

When I was religious, I was often taught to feel offended (but not individualist) about "ignorance" from pagans, Jews, atheists, Muslims, Hindus, etc... I'm not really sure how Buddhists never made it into the picture... Oh wait, they did once, about supposed idolatry in "all" Buddhism.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 PM

32,834 posts, read 36,124,669 times
It, sorry, sucks. I fell off a roof when I was 14, and the rest of my life has been one health problem after another. My guts were smashed to almost mush. Some smart guy saved my life.

Dr. Frankenstein didn't have any advice about what to do after that.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 PM

50,082 posts, read 20,563,352 times
Quote:
Obviouly a 'half -empty' thinker....

Old 05-20-2019, 12:14 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,540,200 times
Quote:
I think it was Jeff that basically said on another thread that God had a "no replacement" policy on limbs.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:05 PM

50,082 posts, read 20,563,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think it was Jeff that basically said on another thread that God had a "no replacement" policy on limbs.
But he does on death, so we are asked to believe. Like someone is dying and then in the middle of an NDE, God says, 'Sorry. get all those relatives and angels out of here, I changed my mind about him dying.'

As usual, God only does stuff that doesn't look contrary to the laws of physics - just hard to explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality