U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:44 AM

3,409 posts, read 1,060,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Everyone sins every day. Your post is a sin. Enough with that.
Sure jeffbase.

Sin on bro, you’re a master
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 AM

8,417 posts, read 4,941,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There is something unusual in the fact that it occurred as part of a higher profile news story. The original news story was focused on the criminal who pushed the child. What was his motivation in trying to hurt a child? What will the child's survival say to him (or to other potential criminals) about that?

I predict that atheists will hate this story. They seem to hate anything good that happens if it challenges their belief system.

You can complain about religion all day, but you could never say that about a religious person. The truth cannot be suppressed.
As usual, you are wrong. I am delighted that this innocent 5 year old boy is doing well and certainly hope he makes a full recovery.

What "challenge" to my "belief system"? People pray all the time; sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. This is not new information. If prayer legitimately worked, there would be no starving children anywhere.

To any believer in the power of prayer - please pray for the end of world hunger.

And yes, Ozzy, when world hunger ends that will indeed be a challenge to my lack of belief in the power of prayer. I look forward to being presented with that challenge, but we both know it will never happen because prayer has no power.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:30 AM

8,417 posts, read 4,941,082 times
Quote:
The boy could have sprouted wings and flow up and atheists would still find some way to rationalize or dismiss it. Why don't you know, spontaneous wing growth can occur, silly Christian!

It's a small bubble they live in. But in the real world. you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has not experience something supernatural or paranormal or knows a person who has experienced such things. Most people realize that there is something beyond this reality.
Actually, that would have been possible proof.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:01 AM

37,995 posts, read 10,339,015 times
Quote:
The boy could have sprouted wings and flow up and atheists would still find some way to rationalize or dismiss it. Why don't you know, spontaneous wing growth can occur, silly Christian!

It's a small bubble they live in. But in the real world. you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has not experience something supernatural or paranormal or knows a person who has experienced such things. Most people realize that there is something beyond this reality.
It does seem like that, but you know, Jeff, if prayer was answered like it guarantees in the Bible and miracles occurred like arms growing back God appearing and explaining just how the Bible should be interpreted and -as you say a boy sprouting wings, or just stopping in midair would do - and only happened for Christians - well, people would rush to be Christians, wouldn't they?

But that isn't what happens, though the believers are always trying to claim that it does, and getting shirty when we point out the flaws in trying to make it a miracle - and a Christian miracle of course.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:07 AM

37,995 posts, read 10,339,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I don't care if it was a miracle, good doctors, the fact that he was young, or the way he hit the ground, I'm just glad he's going to be ok! And I hope the guy who did this gets the help he needs as well.
Correct. The reaction to this would be thankfulness that the boy managed to pull through. Leave it to Christians to try to make religious propaganda out of it. I don't recall atheists searching out cases where a miracle failed to happen, despite all night vigil -rota praying.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM

13,031 posts, read 5,313,624 times
Quote:
Why didn’t the Christian God give the boy wings? Only a cruel God would have allowed a child to fall 40 feet to the floor and suffer severe injuries.

Quote:
If you ingest LSD you will experience all kinds of “supernatural” things.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:11 AM

1,602 posts, read 513,543 times
Quote:

jeffbase40- Misrepresenting atheists and their viewpoints on City-Data since February of 2014.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:30 PM

8,375 posts, read 3,731,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It does seem like that, but you know, Jeff, if prayer was answered like it guarantees in the Bible and miracles occurred like arms growing back God appearing and explaining just how the Bible should be interpreted and -as you say a boy sprouting wings, or just stopping in midair would do - and only happened for Christians - well, people would rush to be Christians, wouldn't they?

But that isn't what happens, though the believers are always trying to claim that it does, and getting shirty when we point out the flaws in trying to make it a miracle - and a Christian miracle of course.
The problem is you want a one size fits all type scenario. Real life doesn't work that way. Everyone is on a unique path so God's response to prayer is in relation to your own unique path. Life isn't fair. We don't all get to have the same things, the same talents. There is a purpose behind everything. Just like every other creation serves a purpose even cockroaches. It's all perfectly balanced.

The whole limb growing back argument is pretty ridiculous. God only gave us one body. He is not going to provide us with a new body or body parts. (and if he did, atheists would just say limbs can regrow in certain people, perfectly normal!) It's not part of His plan to keep us alive and going as long as possible. That's no different than saying Hey God, why don't you give me a completely new body and transfer my mind to it? Oh wait, better you, God give me the ability to shoot lightning from my fingers. Oh, and let me fly. Better yet, give me all your powers because hey You promised in the Bible!

Every prayer answered or miracle is done according to His Will. That is all that matters.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM

8,375 posts, read 3,731,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why didn’t the Christian God give the boy wings? Only a cruel God would have allowed a child to fall 40 feet to the floor and suffer severe injuries.

It's not up to God to block or prevent the consequences of man's free will actions. Should God force everyone to drive the speed limit? Force you to never gossip about your neighbor? Imagine God having the sow the mouths shut of thousands of people who bully others. Because the only way God can not be cruel is to prevent any harm from happening to anyone at all times, right? Then you would be griping about not having the freedom to sin.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:50 PM

327 posts, read 60,548 times
Quote:
It's not part of His plan to keep us alive and going as long as possible.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the nature of the miracle described in the OP. Wasn't that the point, that prayers to God produced a miracle by keeping this little boy going longer than he might have otherwise, without the miracle?

Quote:
It's not up to God to block or prevent the consequences of man's free will actions.
Except that these were not consequences of the the little boy's free will actions.... this was something done to him by another. And here again, isn't that precisely the point of the miracle, to block or prevent the expected consequences... undoing what would would have happened otherwise (a dead boy, in this case)?

Clearly you are correct, that God can't be in the business of protecting us from or undoing ALL bad things. But when He does intervene (as He reportedly did in Minnesota)... I'm confused when we can call it a miracle, and what the miracle accomplishes, if not things like "keeping us alive longer, preventing consequences"... and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or