U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:53 PM

12,163 posts, read 17,759,910 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if you all heard about this story. But about a week and a half ago, a 5 year old little boy was thrown from the 3rd floor balcony at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. He fell and hit the floor 40 feet below. He has been in the ICCU now for 10 days. There are a go fund me account a family member started and almost a million dollar has been raised for him and his recovery process.

Well, every so often the family post updates on his recovery.

Apparently, when the boy was thrown over the railing, and people were screaming and hollering, the mother apparently yelled for people to pray. And throughout his time in the ICU, they have asked for prayers. At one of the updates , all available to read on the gofundme account, the family made the mention about the hospital room being so warm and comforting...something like that.

So several thousand people have donated and almost million dollars have been raised for his recovery. Today I believe, the latest update states, He is still in ICU, but after testing and a 5 hour MRI ( that's a really long MRI ), they found him to have no brain bleeds or swelling or spinal cord or nerve injuries. " A doctor compared the boy's injuries to falling off a bicycle rather than falling three stories"

They call it a miracle.

I am not religious and I don't know if I believe in miracles. But when I read this...I'm starting to wonder. How do somebody fall 40 feet, hit a hard marble floor,with no significant injuries. That is amazing. I have heard about the powers of prayers. So this little boy received hundred of thousands of prayers or even more, and then this update today.....
So do you guys believe prayers make a difference?
https://www.gofundme.com/Landonprayers
https://www.fox9.com/news/-doctors-w...led-miraculous

So, what is your opinion and have you ever experienced what you would call a miracle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 08:12 PM

7,849 posts, read 4,641,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

They call it a miracle.

I am not religious and I don't know if I believe in miracles. But when I read this...I'm starting to wonder. How do somebody fall 40 feet, hit a hard marble floor,with no significant injuries. That is amazing. I have heard about the powers of prayers. So this little boy received hundred of thousands of prayers or even more, and then this update today.....

So, what is your opinion and have you ever experienced what you would call a miracle.

The pagans, Hindus, and the Muslims would call it a miracle too, had something this rare and nice happened to one of their own (which it often does). But what about the mothers who ask others to pray and their child dies after getting hit by a car? They don't get featured in the headlines because their occurrences are common-place and not as entertaining.

When evil, ugly, unnatural, and unexpected things happen.... they should be called miracles too.

Then people would understand what they do.

Hopefully, the gofundme donation collectors will do the right thing with that "unnecessary" ICU stay for injuries that "were only like he fell of a bike" (so what? scrapes? Then why "many days" in ICU?).

and "10 days in the ICU" does not sound like "falling off a bicycle" unless you "fell of a bicycle 40 feet."

https://www.wsls.com/inside-edition/...oward-recovery

"He reportedly needs several surgeries to repair the damage."

Looks like "Lord Pluto" is the Lord of Money and that is what that child needed to pay for his surgeries. Prayer was just a way to get people to think and talk about it.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-23-2019 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 04:48 AM

10,146 posts, read 12,528,932 times
There is something unusual in the fact that it occurred as part of a higher profile news story. The original news story was focused on the criminal who pushed the child. What was his motivation in trying to hurt a child? What will the child's survival say to him (or to other potential criminals) about that?

I predict that atheists will hate this story. They seem to hate anything good that happens if it challenges their belief system.

You can complain about religion all day, but you could never say that about a religious person. The truth cannot be suppressed.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:12 AM

37,995 posts, read 10,339,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I am not sure if you all heard about this story. But about a week and a half ago, a 5 year old little boy was thrown from the 3rd floor balcony at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. He fell and hit the floor 40 feet below. He has been in the ICCU now for 10 days. There are a go fund me account a family member started and almost a million dollar has been raised for him and his recovery process.

Well, every so often the family post updates on his recovery.

Apparently, when the boy was thrown over the railing, and people were screaming and hollering, the mother apparently yelled for people to pray. And throughout his time in the ICU, they have asked for prayers. At one of the updates , all available to read on the gofundme account, the family made the mention about the hospital room being so warm and comforting...something like that.

So several thousand people have donated and almost million dollars have been raised for his recovery. Today I believe, the latest update states, He is still in ICU, but after testing and a 5 hour MRI ( that's a really long MRI ), they found him to have no brain bleeds or swelling or spinal cord or nerve injuries. " A doctor compared the boy's injuries to falling off a bicycle rather than falling three stories"

They call it a miracle.

'Miracle' claims are always thought -provoking. But essentially, the Christians will fall into the gap For God fallacy. Anything that defies explanation (assuming it's good) "It must be God".

The thing to note here is that nobody was praying. It was a 'miracle' for no reason. It's like claiming that God intervened to save a child - not by suspending him in mid -air and lowing him gently to the ground, but by smashing him up but not so badly that he died of it. If he had died..no miracle I suppose.

When one looks at it that way, it is reasons Not to see it as a miracle, but rather as a reason to doubt other miracle claims where people were praying, which also are Inexplicable occurrences used eagerly by Christians as Gap for God arguments.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:07 AM

8,375 posts, read 3,731,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There is something unusual in the fact that it occurred as part of a higher profile news story. The original news story was focused on the criminal who pushed the child. What was his motivation in trying to hurt a child? What will the child's survival say to him (or to other potential criminals) about that?

I predict that atheists will hate this story. They seem to hate anything good that happens if it challenges their belief system.

You can complain about religion all day, but you could never say that about a religious person. The truth cannot be suppressed.
The boy could have sprouted wings and flow up and atheists would still find some way to rationalize or dismiss it. Why don't you know, spontaneous wing growth can occur, silly Christian!

It's a small bubble they live in. But in the real world. you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has not experience something supernatural or paranormal or knows a person who has experienced such things. Most people realize that there is something beyond this reality.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:21 AM

3,409 posts, read 1,060,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The boy could have sprouted wings and flow up and atheists would still find some way to rationalize or dismiss it. Why don't you know, spontaneous wing growth can occur, silly Christian!

It's a small bubble they live in. But in the real world. you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has not experience something supernatural or paranormal or knows a person who has experienced such things. Most people realize that there is something beyond this reality.
You really canít help yourself from sinning, can you jeffbase

Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 AM

327 posts, read 60,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't hate the story. I think it's great that the kid survived, and with fewer injuries than expected. What's not to like about that (other than the guy throwing him over the railing in first place)!?

But that doesn't translate to "miracle," nor does this story "challenge my belief system." Indeed, it fits perfectly with it, because I believe that we should base our conclusions and decisions on facts, rather than leaping (waaaaaayyyyy) ahead to supernatural explanations when something unusual or out of the ordinary or unexpected happens.

So what are the facts here? As you know, the Golden Gate Bridge has been a popular place to commit suicide, since it was built in 1937. Jumpers hit the water at 75 miles per hour, after dropping 240 feet (note: 200 feet further than the Mall of America fall). From that height it's like falling on concrete. The impact crushes vertebrae, breaks bones, drives the legs up into pelvis... and then the cold water finishes the job. It's hard to survive a fall like that, yet 25 people have (around 4%). The average survival rate for people jumping off bridges is around 15%. Point being, people survive falls like this little boy experienced on a regular basis, often enough that there are statistics. Does that make each of them a miracle, or are they simply outliers from a statistical norm?

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 04-24-2019 at 08:17 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 AM

8,375 posts, read 3,731,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
You really canít help yourself from sinning, can you jeffbase
Everyone sins every day. Your post is a sin. Enough with that.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:11 AM

594 posts, read 220,424 times
I don't care if it was a miracle, good doctors, the fact that he was young, or the way he hit the ground, I'm just glad he's going to be ok! And I hope the guy who did this gets the help he needs as well.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 AM

19,387 posts, read 19,528,373 times
The kid has broken bones, internal injuries and a long recovery ahead.
Jeff makes it sound like a 'real miracle", like the kid got up and walked away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or