U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 287 times

Advertisements

This is strictly a paper about Agnosticism. I need real feedback from a discussion forum that will allow me to represent how we think about Agnosticism and how that makes us view the world, seeing things in bigger way. I am not looking for a dialogue about what is and what isn't it, I'm interested in hearing more specifics about why people chose to be Agnostic.
I want it to be very clear to understand and to the point because my audience and a lot of people do not necessarily have all this background knowledge.

Infinity versus Nothingness.

More Questions-

What influences people to become Agnostic?

Does Agnosticism open up a door of spirituality?
What do you think the increase in the belief of Agnosticism says for the future of religion?

If Agnosticism was the #1 belief in the world, what would that look like? Would it result in huge societal changes or none at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

8,617 posts, read 8,167,780 times
OP,

What do you mean by agnosticism?

To me, agnosticism is simply not possessing definitive knowledge. I can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. Those are rather different beasts, but both agnostic.

I believe that most, perhaps all, atheists on this board identify as agnostic atheists.

Old Today, 02:57 AM

7,849 posts, read 4,641,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user1999 View Post
...snip....

More Questions-

[1] What influences people to become Agnostic?

[2]Does Agnosticism open up a door of spirituality?
[3]What do you think the increase in the belief of Agnosticism says for the future of religion?

[4]If Agnosticism was the #1 belief in the world, what would that look like? Would it result in huge societal changes or none at all?
1. The biggest influence is whether they are more interested in truth, current comfort, or future desires.

2. It opens a HUGE door to "spiritual but not religious." And spirituality is ill-defined. Psychology research that I am aware of defines spirituality as a composite of three main things: a) feeling of connection to something bigger. b) a feeling of connection to accurate personal meaning. c) a feeling of connection to accurate goodness and betterment.

Agnosticism allows ample room and welcoming lee-way for all of these.

Some wish to define spirituality more narrowly and more constructively as merely (or only if including) "a feeling of connectedness to the divine." Divine being another ill-defined word, but I'm guessing those constructionists mean "the supernaturally important" by it.

3. Religions will likely incorporate Agnosticism if and while it is convenient, or will try to use it as a sticking point of why their religion is better than "the only alternatives that we choose to see as one-dimensional."

4. Who knows how the anti-agnostic minorities would behave. One can only guess that they would behave cunningly and violently if history is any teacher. They would likely see a power-vacuum and go for it if Agnosticism remained too liberal and openly accepting of its enemies like the bygone secularism in Iran. Confessing agnostic leaderships would have to develop some great "traditionalist" but "full-thought" societies. Which would require a lot of energy to maintain. Otherwise, things would be largely the same and "simple answer large commitment" religions would continue to take over.

Agnosticism is rather barren in terms of on-its-own causing societal changes, but it would likely be more accepting of scholarship and progress changes if it is welcoming of continued testing and proper implementations.

Old Today, 05:00 AM

19,388 posts, read 19,528,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
OP,

What do you mean by agnosticism?

To me, agnosticism is simply not possessing definitive knowledge. I can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. Those are rather different beasts, but both agnostic.

I believe that most, perhaps all, atheists on this board identify as agnostic atheists.
That's all there is to that part of it.

Old Today, 05:20 AM

37,995 posts, read 10,339,015 times
Yes. But having explained that to User 1, he (or she) can use the info. as it suits. He (she) can just throw the Q open to all who think of themselves as 'agnostics'. Which may mean that you catch an awful lot of fish and they will show a good deal of diversity.

Atheists know that they (and everyone else) are 'agnostic' (as regards the 'knowledge' position on the god - claim) but will not identify as agnostic, so we have no other contribution to make to User's research.

Old Today, 06:26 AM

19,388 posts, read 19,528,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Atheists know that they (and everyone else) are 'agnostic' (as regards the 'knowledge' position on the god - claim) but will not identify as agnostic, so we have no other contribution to make to User's research.
Maybe my opinion only but I agree with this as an agnostic atheist.. Other than personality differences, which is not the point, the agnostic part has no effect on my life.
He may find more interesting material from agnostic theists

Old Today, 06:45 AM

37,995 posts, read 10,339,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Maybe my opinion only but I agree with this as an agnostic atheist.. Other than personality differences, which is not the point, the agnostic part has no effect on my life.
He may find more interesting material from agnostic theists
Yes, I'm sure those are the ones he needs to talk to. Not atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or