U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

86,776 posts, read 101,651,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Notwithstanding the clarifying statements that no major religions oppose immunization.....

I assume one reason for the question in the OP is the observation that approximately half of the current cases (the largest outbreak since measles was declared erradicated) have occurred in Orthodox Jewish communities in NYC.... where there are large concentrations of unvaccinated or under-vaccinated children. I would not presume to speak to their beliefs, but my understanding is that this may have little to do with religious beliefs per se... and more to do with a group vulnerability to misinformation.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...unity-vaccines
Correct.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/18/jewi...s-spreads.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I wouldn't see any doctor who said that vaccines went against their religion.

More and more Christian religions are saying that vaccines come from "the devil." Do you want a doctor who has those beliefs? I don't.
Oh, really? Can you document this? That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

8,040 posts, read 6,969,957 times
Still for some people close to the Lord , where God can remove pathogens out of the body of the faithful ..... But then taking vaccination , believers can get them as long as they pray for grace before they get the shot , so God can intervene if need be

Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,931,968 times
Quote:

More and more Christian religions are saying that vaccines come from "the devil." Do you want a doctor who has those beliefs? I don't.
I never thought about a medical practitioner refusing to give a vaccination/immunization treatment based on religious beliefs, I was more thinking or a practitioner or the religion refusing to have themselves or their children treated based on beliefs.

I wonder how medical schools and individual state licensing divisions for practicing medicine, hospitals hiring physicians, etc. would handle someone refusing to administer treatments based on belief...?

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

7,862 posts, read 4,644,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I never thought about a medical practitioner refusing to give a vaccination/immunization treatment based on religious beliefs, I was more thinking or a practitioner or the religion refusing to have themselves or their children treated based on beliefs.

I wonder how medical schools and individual state licensing divisions for practicing medicine, hospitals hiring physicians, etc. would handle someone refusing to administer treatments based on belief...?
Probably the same way as the issue of blood transfusions in Jehovah's Witnesses (and perhaps Orthodox Jews).

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Probably the same way as the issue of blood transfusions in Jehovah's Witnesses (and perhaps Orthodox Jews).
And what is the procedure if the doctor doesn't believe in blood transfusions (which is what I think you're saying)? With birth control and the like, the doctor is supposed to refer the patient to another doctor who will take care of their needs.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

54,627 posts, read 53,438,788 times
Quote:

More and more Christian religions are saying that vaccines come from "the devil."
Do you want a doctor who has those beliefs? I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Correct.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/18/jewi...s-spreads.html

Oh, really? Can you document this? That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
I was curious about this statement as well. What "more and more Christian religions" are saying this exactly?

Old Today, 12:39 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,325,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And what is the procedure if the doctor doesn't believe in blood transfusions (which is what I think you're saying)? With birth control and the like, the doctor is supposed to refer the patient to another doctor who will take care of their needs.
First of all there are probably not many JW doctors, since JWs discourage college educations (or so a JW told me; I'm sure I'll be corrected if that is true).
Secondly, wouldn't any physician have to follow current best practices, or face lawsuits and/or being fired by whatever medical practice they are part of?
The JW prohibition of blood transfusion even extends to products including RhoGam. I cannot fathom a physician who would refuse to recommend/give RhoGam if needed.

Old Today, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
First of all there are probably not many JW doctors, since JWs discourage college educations (or so a JW told me; I'm sure I'll be corrected if that is true).
Secondly, wouldn't any physician have to follow current best practices, or face lawsuits and/or being fired by whatever medical practice they are part of?
The JW prohibition of blood transfusion even extends to products including RhoGam. I cannot fathom a physician who would refuse to recommend/give RhoGam if needed.
You may be right about there being few if any JW doctors. Just like there are no Amish doctors since they only go to school until 8th grade and are taught by other Amish who only went to school till 8th grade.

Physicians, usually OB/Gyns or others that see women of childbearing age for OB or gyn (family practitioners, some internal med docs, adolescent medicine docs, etc) who don't believe in BC or sometimes believe in BC but not sterilization are supposed to refer their patients who ask about these services to another doctor who can accommodate the patient. My experience with this issue has been with Catholic doctors, but it could come up with others as well.

Old Today, 01:02 PM

21,421 posts, read 10,004,218 times
I think there are quite a few cases where religionists use religious freedom as an excuse for doing what they simply want to do.

Old Today, 08:28 PM

7,862 posts, read 4,644,578 times
The only Christian denomination that I could think of that would officially be against vaccines is the one that was officially against secular/biological medicine: The Christian Science, as it is called, founded by Mary Baker Eddy (her last husband's last name).

But I'm sure many independent small denominations jump on the gravy train of gullibility, short-sighted criticalness rather than long-term study, and emotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or