Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 06:59 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,033,884 times

Advertisements

In light of an increasing number of measles outbreaks in 22 States and counting, some State governments are calling for laws that would eliminate immunization exemptions based on whether or not it violated any given religious teaching/practice.

This would likely have a positive effect on containing/preventing the spread of the virus, particularly if the child/young person immunized is attending school, etc. But, of course, would have implications regarding freedom of Religion in that it would force a given practitioner to go against the practices of their religion, if indeed those practices called for no immunizations.

Thoughts...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 07:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,029,474 times
Quote:
"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

~Albert Einstein
No immunizations are required to practice their religion or life.

Only to attend public school with other secular children in our secular nation that gives religion so many special rights and privileges but not so for atheist clubs that would choose to make such a dumb and uninformed choice of denying science and statistically tested vaccinations.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:36 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,049,465 times
Not my religion.
My religion tells me to eat healthy, eat in moderation, and take care of my health. And if I get sick or there is a chance of getting sick then I should go see a doctor and/or take preventive medicine.
It also tells me to avoid wasting food and resources.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
None of the major world religions opposes immunizations. Some sub-groups of some religions do have a stance against them.
https://www.vumc.org/health-wellness...s-and-religion

Old 04-30-2019, 06:15 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,486,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Not my religion.
My religion tells me to eat healthy, eat in moderation, and take care of my health. And if I get sick or there is a chance of getting sick then I should go see a doctor and/or take preventive medicine.
It also tells me to avoid wasting food and resources.
Then your religion is science and humanism. Same as atheists. You just give Godfaith the credit.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,029,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Then your religion is science and humanism. Same as atheists. You just give Godfaith the credit.
A monotheist type of sciencism and humanism. Rather than their alternatives: anti-science and anti-humanism.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:41 PM

151 posts, read 87,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
None of the major world religions opposes immunizations. Some sub-groups of some religions do have a stance against them.
https://www.vumc.org/health-wellness...s-and-religion
Katarina is right. Non mainstream faith opposes immunizations and the groups that do are bastardizing their beliefs.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:57 PM

1,402 posts, read 472,071 times
Notwithstanding the clarifying statements that no major religions oppose immunization.....

I assume one reason for the question in the OP is the observation that approximately half of the current cases (the largest outbreak since measles was declared erradicated) have occurred in Orthodox Jewish communities in NYC.... where there are large concentrations of unvaccinated or under-vaccinated children. I would not presume to speak to their beliefs, but my understanding is that this may have little to do with religious beliefs per se... and more to do with a group vulnerability to misinformation.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...unity-vaccines

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 04-30-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 02:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,290,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I
This would likely have a positive effect on containing/preventing the spread of the virus, particularly if the child/young person immunized is attending school, etc. But, of course, would have implications regarding freedom of Religion in that it would force a given practitioner to go against the practices of their religion, if indeed those practices called for no immunizations.

Thoughts...?
I wouldn't see any doctor who said that vaccines went against their religion.

More and more Christian religions are saying that vaccines come from "the devil." Do you want a doctor who has those beliefs? I don't.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:03 PM

17,629 posts, read 13,443,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I wouldn't see any doctor who said that vaccines went against their religion.

More and more Christian religions are saying that vaccines come from "the devil."
Do you not think there were measles virus in the Garden of Eden?..........and the Ark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality