U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 06:01 AM

12,619 posts, read 4,772,270 times

Advertisements

The simple fact is if you cringe at this parody ... you now know exactly how I feel when people teach that a dude died and risied for our sins. when I see people teaching that to children it saddens me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 08:33 AM

4,167 posts, read 2,898,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The simple fact is if you cringe at this parody ... you now know exactly how I feel when people teach that a dude died and risied for our sins. when I see people teaching that to children it saddens me.
If I was going make a parody, I'd include a part about a god of illusions who claims to have all the answers, but doesn't. I didn't do that yet...well I suppose I just did, but not in much detail. I was tempted to. I had a whole personality thought up. Think: psychic vampire ghost.

Most of this is not really intended to be a parody though.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
If I was going make a parody, I'd include a part about a god of illusions who claims to have all the answers, but doesn't. I didn't do that yet...well I suppose I just did, but not in much detail. I was tempted to. I had a whole personality thought up. Think: psychic vampire ghost.

Most of this is not really intended to be a parody though.
either way ... if religious people cringe at your religion, they now understand how I feel when some of them teach that a man died and risied for our sins.

I say to them ...
"apply the commonsense you used on dismissing this load of poop to your own beliefs too."

the best we can do in between "my-god-only" and "humans are the most complex volume of space/time".

Old 05-04-2019, 08:33 PM

7,898 posts, read 4,655,431 times
Quote:
either way ... if religious people cringe at your religion, they now understand how I feel when some of them teach that a man died and risied for our sins.

I say to them ...
"apply the commonsense you used on dismissing this load of poop to your own beliefs too."

the best we can do in between "my-god-only" and "humans are the most complex volume of space/time".
The only belief they worship is immortality for themselves and their own chosen ones, everything else is just biased history and chosen culture that they worship.

The specific beliefs and mythologies are interchangeable to them. Most of them do not even read them! Let alone study them critically.

It is the culture and peer-pressure that they experience that they grow to prefer, that they try to justify with fallibly-human history writings and myths which they then venerate.

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The only belief they worship is immortality for themselves and their own chosen ones, everything else is just biased history and chosen culture that they worship.

The specific beliefs and mythologies are interchangeable to them. Most of them do not even read them! Let alone study them critically.

It is the culture and peer-pressure that they experience that they grow to prefer, that they try to justify with fallibly-human history writings and myths which they then venerate.
yup,

most people do not hold their "group" to the same standards they hold other groups too.

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

39,256 posts, read 26,360,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm not as creative as you but I would like to see a "God of Sound". I think it would dovetail nicely with all that vibration and higher frequency thing.
Yours is far closer to the reality, L8.

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

6,179 posts, read 2,026,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yours is far closer to the reality, L8.
I thought you'd like that.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

7,898 posts, read 4,655,431 times
Quote:
yup,

most people do not hold their "group" to the same standards they hold other groups too.
Exactly true. More people need to see and understand this for themselves. So that they can take proper precautions and be better aware. That is why politics is such an ugly sport. But I think spreading the well-understood confession of agnosticism can help with this.

Old Today, 05:05 PM

Of all the God of Light's creations, the most interesting to it was the octopus.

The God of Light is a scientist...kind of...but more like one that randomly mixes chemicals together and sees what happens than one with much of a plan, and that's how it made the octopus.

It made the octopus a brilliant, incredible, shapeshifter.

Then it decided to make them die, quite possibly unpleasantly, soon after procreating. Nobody knows why, including the God of Light. The dying process, after procreation, appears to be instigated in the optic nerve. Humans have halted this dying process, at least temporarily, by removing the optic nerve. With their optic nerves intact female octopi will cease eating after procreating and may begin biting off the tips of their tentacles and banging themselves into the sides of their tanks, perhaps to speed up the process. Males die after procreating too.

There may be beneficial evolutionary reasons for octopi dying after procreation. Octopi are cannibals. They might eat their young if they were to survive, or become their competition...but that doesn't do the adult octopus much good.

Some will say that the octopus has served its purpose after procreation...but has it really? Humans can ponder the far future. Humans can make sacrifices for their descendants...but can the octopus? Or is the octopus being misled by its own instincts, and following their tempting trail towards a bitter end.

The God of Light has, over the years, engaged in similar sorts of wacky, zany, entertaining experiments...many too ghastly to mention.

The God of Light designed our instincts too, and our emotions, and large segments of our culture too.

And that's why the God of Darkness and Light don't get along well. The God of Darkness wants to put out fires, and all life is just another fire started by the God of Light...fires like the life cycle of the octopus, and fires like the bubonic plague.

But not all fires are destructive. Many have been tamed and used to cook foods or for warmth. Nearly all of these sorts of fires have been built by human minds...which is understandible, given how much more intelligent and empathetic humanity is than the God of Light.

Our instincts and passions were all designed by a deranged mad scientist. We can use our minds, however, to be wiser than our creator. We can do that because we're more self-aware than the octopus, whose entire procreative process might be more or less sensibly described as a mental illness. We, unlike the octopus, have evolved to question the urgings of our creator. We got lucky.

Old Today, 05:10 PM

Of the wonders of sunshine, and music, and moonlight

The God of Light once inspired its favorite song: "Oh What a Wonderful World." It had always loved that song. It liked death metal and shock rap too. It's second favorite song was "It's 3 a.m." by Eminem, which was five solid minutes of music about nothing but murdering people. It has a lovely beat though...but its first favorite song is "Oh What a Wonderful World."

The nice thing about "Oh What a Wonderful World" is that it has a way of making what is not always a wonderful world into something closer to a wonderful world.

The God of Light likes to build things, and it once built itself a wonderful world. It built it of flowers and sunsets and butterflies, and singing birds and peeper frogs. It built it of white clouds and sparkling streams, and it basked in the sunshine for awhile.

Then it got bored and burned it all down so that it could start building again.

And this sort of behavior is the foundation of an ancient disagreement between the God of Light and the God of Darkness. To the God of Darkness, the achievement of the goal is the end of the goal. To the God of Light, it's the beginning. That is why, for all its horrors, the God of Light will build wonders the God of Darkness will never do...wonders of spiraling madness and terrible beauty that make rainbows seem all the more colorful.

The God of Light is good at inspiring songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or