U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:51 AM

16,064 posts, read 7,520,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The point, Mystic, is that they are characteristic of all the kinds of love specified in Koine, and not just the "agape" specified in the citation; they do not define "agape."
Having given more thought to the question, I find I am mistaken: that concern I mention is also a characteristic of the different categories of love, and the basis for definition is the basis for that concern. With erotic love it is sexual attraction that may lead to a commmitment much deeper than the original impulse, with familial love it is the bond of kinship or shared heritage, strongest in those who have shared experience that is supportive. With brotherly love it is much the same, but the relationship is not necessarily one of genetic kinship, but of common interest. With "agape" it is recognition of common humanity. For that reason it is unconditional and fragile in that it is so easy and natural to make those who are different, especially in ways that exclude us or cause any kind of perceived harm. God's love is unconditional according to the last few verses of Matthew 5, and we are urged to be like Him in that. It ain't always easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 AM

349 posts, read 64,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Still God flooded the earth to end the works of the devil , as the authority of the power of the cross of Christ gave God that power was not available at that early time , so then the greater love is to forgive God for the slaughter of wicked people of the earth
Let me make sure I've got this straight....

God presumably had enough power to create everything (heavens and earth, humans, etc) and set the wheels in motion. He also communicated with His creation on a fairly regular basis, handing down laws, intervening where necessary, and so on. BUT... He didn't have enough power available in those early days to deal with His creation, so He had to resort to cruder methods, like killing off everything and starting over. It wasn't until a few thousand years later that He came up with a plan to allow humans to kill His son, thereby giving Himself an added boost of power, which has equipped Him to be more refined in dealing with the devil ever since.

Did I get that right?

Old 05-08-2019, 08:13 AM

21,512 posts, read 10,060,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post

God presumably had enough power to create everything (heavens and earth, humans, etc) and set the wheels in motion. He also communicated with His creation on a fairly regular basis, handing down laws, intervening where necessary, and so on. BUT... He didn't have enough power available in those early days to deal with His creation, so He had to resort to cruder methods, like killing off everything and starting over. It wasn't until a few thousand years later that He came up with a plan to allow humans to kill His son, thereby giving Himself an added boost of power, which has equipped Him to be more refined in dealing with the devil ever since.

Did I get that right?
It would make a great movie script.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:26 AM

8,479 posts, read 4,969,571 times
Quote:

Did I get that right?
You left out....He is all-knowing, yet had no idea that the descendants of his first two humans would be wicked. So He drowned all but eight, and again had no idea that the descendants of those eight would be wicked.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:44 AM

349 posts, read 64,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You left out....He is all-knowing, yet had no idea that the descendants of his first two humans would be wicked. So He drowned all but eight, and again had no idea that the descendants of those eight would be wicked.
Win some, lose some...???

Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 PM

54,839 posts, read 53,594,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think it was Jeff who once told us that it was sort of a pre emptive strike by God because all these toddlers, infants, and unborn would GROW UP to be wicked people because they had wicked parents.
Remember Ryan White, the young boy who was diagnosed with AIDS from a blood transfusion and refused re-admission to his school?

That same mentality caused people of that same mindset to suggest that God gave him AIDS because God knew he would grow up to be gay. (That's when it was still a widely-held belief that AIDS was a punishment on gay people.)

Old 05-08-2019, 12:36 PM

8,479 posts, read 4,969,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think it was Jeff who once told us that it was sort of a pre emptive strike by God because all these toddlers, infants, and unborn would GROW UP to be wicked people because they had wicked parents.
It does not surprise me that Jeff would say such a thing.

This rationale also fails, as so many others do grow up to be wicked adults.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:37 PM

6,491 posts, read 6,011,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Remember Ryan White, the young boy who was diagnosed with AIDS from a blood transfusion and refused re-admission to his school?

That same mentality caused people of that same mindset to suggest that God gave him AIDS because God knew he would grow up to be gay. (That's when it was still a widely-held belief that AIDS was a punishment on gay people.)
Wow, I didn't know that Ryan got "Pat Robertsoned".

Old 05-08-2019, 01:33 PM

16,064 posts, read 7,520,351 times
Quote:
Win some, lose some...???
"Win some?" What a NOVEL concept!

Old 05-08-2019, 02:35 PM

5,672 posts, read 2,215,789 times
Even if the definition of God is love doesn't make the definition of love is God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality