U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2019, 02:58 PM
 
10,950 posts, read 11,108,863 times
Reputation: 3312

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Sorry, old pagan stories do not negated the virgin birth of Jesus. It was prophesied long before any you mentioned.

Like I said--delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2019, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,600 posts, read 10,100,426 times
Reputation: 19906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Some Catholics have concluded that Jesus would have necessarily required a perfect vessel to have been given birth from. The notion that Mary was herself the product of a virgin birth has been debated by Catholics for centuries.

...
This is a very good example of what I see as the futility of religious thought and how it is way too mired in the long distant past.

By what possible mechanism could anyone ever determine whether or not Mary was herself the product of a virgin birth. What a waste of time and energy.

Better to focus thought on solving some of today's crushing issues by using new testament principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 03:04 PM
 
Location: US
27,564 posts, read 14,838,912 times
Reputation: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Have you not read/comprehended your own post? Why didn't you say "what a wonderful Buddhist attitude"?

Maybe you can try borrowing some honesty from someone since it doesn't appear to be innate.
What’s Nate got to do with it?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 03:18 PM
 
Location: USA
3,403 posts, read 1,228,098 times
Reputation: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is a very good example of what I see as the futility of religious thought and how it is way too mired in the long distant past.

By what possible mechanism could anyone ever determine whether or not Mary was herself the product of a virgin birth. What a waste of time and energy.

Better to focus thought on solving some of today's crushing issues by using new testament principles.
This is related to the perpetual virginity doctrine of the Catholic church that has concluded that Mary was necessarily and forevermore a virgin until the end of her days, because Catholics find any other conclusion to be "repugnant." So the Catholic church has declared it to be official doctrine that Joseph was an old man when he married Mary, to old to consummate the marriage, and that any siblings of Jesus mentioned in the NT were half siblings, the children of Joseph's earlier marriage. Is any of this supported in the NT Testament? NO! Catholics have simply decided and declared it to be true because it pleases their sensibilities to do so. Which is EXACTLY how make it up and declare it to be true works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 09:34 AM
 
10,950 posts, read 11,108,863 times
Reputation: 3312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
This is related to the perpetual virginity doctrine of the Catholic church that has concluded that Mary was necessarily and forevermore a virgin until the end of her days, because Catholics find any other conclusion to be "repugnant." So the Catholic church has declared it to be official doctrine that Joseph was an old man when he married Mary, to old to consummate the marriage, and that any siblings of Jesus mentioned in the NT were half siblings, the children of Joseph's earlier marriage. Is any of this supported in the NT Testament? NO! Catholics have simply decided and declared it to be true because it pleases their sensibilities to do so. Which is EXACTLY how make it up and declare it to be true works.

My opinion: those dirty old men becoming bishops and archbishops in the early RCC wanted convenient sex and so they created this idea of Mary the perpetual virgin as a role model for beautiful young virginal girls to enter the nunneries so they could steal into the nunneries at night to rape them. Innocent fruits ripe for the pickings. It persists even today with the ongoing sex scandals in the RCC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,600 posts, read 10,100,426 times
Reputation: 19906
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
My opinion: those dirty old men becoming bishops and archbishops in the early RCC wanted convenient sex and so they created this idea of Mary the perpetual virgin as a role model for beautiful young virginal girls to enter the nunneries so they could steal into the nunneries at night to rape them. Innocent fruits ripe for the pickings. It persists even today with the ongoing sex scandals in the RCC.
Every once in a while you cross the line. This is one of those times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 PM
 
10,950 posts, read 11,108,863 times
Reputation: 3312
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Every once in a while you cross the line. This is one of those times.

What?! The truth offends you? Please don't be so naive. Why do you think they established confessional booths? So that they could learn of secret information with which to arrest and kill heretics. Honestly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 PM
 
9,746 posts, read 2,473,755 times
Reputation: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
My opinion: those dirty old men becoming bishops and archbishops in the early RCC wanted convenient sex and so they created this idea of Mary the perpetual virgin as a role model for beautiful young virginal girls to enter the nunneries so they could steal into the nunneries at night to rape them. Innocent fruits ripe for the pickings. It persists even today with the ongoing sex scandals in the RCC.
If they wanted 'convenient sex' without the risk of being caught, pretty much every church out there, has a large number of single adult females, that would probably jump at the chance to be in a relationship with a priest!


Targeting kids for this kind of thing, is just 'a bad choice', kids are TERRIBLE at keeping a big secret, they have lots of physical and emotional 'tells', that any adult in their lives can easily pick up on, adult females are MUCH better at keeping and maintaining secrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,502 posts, read 19,623,779 times
Reputation: 22737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Targeting kids for this kind of thing, is just 'a bad choice', kids are TERRIBLE at keeping a big secret, they have lots of physical and emotional 'tells', that any adult in their lives can easily pick up on,.
If this were true, how come so many got away with it for so long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 06:45 AM
 
9,746 posts, read 2,473,755 times
Reputation: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If this were true, how come so many got away with it for so long?
Mainly because the priests were being protected and moved around, plus people didnt believe the children for awhile.(kids do tend to make stuff up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top