U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Canada
6,859 posts, read 4,179,473 times
Reputation: 401

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Pneuma, all I'm trying to do is demonstrate how delusional Christians are. They believe in talking snakes, and imaginary 12 apostles, and walking zombies, and worldwide floods and all sorts of other nonsense. I'm trying to point to facts that disprove all this and show that it's all man-made hyperbole and myths. Jesus never rose. The idea of a risen god is a comforting idea, true, but the fact that Mark's account of Jesus' life can be found entirely in the Old Testament, in the Odyssey and in pagan myths of earlier dying/rising gods like the ones I named--that fact cannot be denied now and it can be clearly demonstrated with actual proof to anyone who's willing to listen. Here's is an analysis of the entire gospel of Mark verse by verse, story by story and where Mark got his source material from:

New Testament Narrative as Old Testament Midrash by Robert M. Price




The fact you're worshiping a god built entirely on pagan sources doesn't bother you in the least????????? That IS delusional.
Well all I can say is there is a difference between a literalist and an non literalist, yet both are Christians, and you lump them all together when you say how delusional Christians are.

Yet are you not a deist? One who believe in a god who has basically forsaken the the world, created it and the left so to speak.

How then are you any less delusional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,068 posts, read 10,194,764 times
Reputation: 2565
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Ancient Egypt perhaps? Osiris, Horus and the Ba?
Yes. The Sumerian beliefs would pass on to the Egyptians, the Babylonians, Assyrians, Hebrews and later the Greeks, who would go on to influence the Romans. That's my theory anyway - and I'm sticking to it! So there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
 
10,918 posts, read 11,092,178 times
Reputation: 3303
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well all I can say is there is a difference between a literalist and an non literalist, yet both are Christians, and you lump them all together when you say how delusional Christians are.

Yet are you not a deist? One who believe in a god who has basically forsaken the the world, created it and the left so to speak.

How then are you any less delusional?

I should think the difference is obvious:


Deist: believes there's some sort of force out there that might be beind creation. Doesn't let this force influence his life or dictate to him how to live. Behaves as if the force doesn't even exist. Is totally emotional-neutral to it.



Christian: believes in a pagan son of god named jesus and worships this god on his knees; prays to this god; swears loyalty unto death to this god; pays hard-earned $$$'s to this god; essentially devotes his entire life to this god in the hopes this god will bring him eternal life and let's this god dictate to him how to live and what to believe.


You actually cannot see these differences, pneuma????????

Last edited by thrillobyte; Yesterday at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
 
9,652 posts, read 2,451,571 times
Reputation: 6589
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Ancient Egypt perhaps? Osiris, Horus and the Ba? But the Sumerians evolved a religion of sky - gods that existed...just out of reach, as we find with a god that had to retreat to the edge of the universe and even outside it as science looks and doesn't find it. Those Sumerian gods, persisted when Sumer fell to Akkad, Akkad fell to Babylon,which kept the gods but just replaced Ea with Marduk. Babylon fell to Assyria - they just replaced Marduk with Assur, and 2nd Babylonian empire after the fall of Assyria, and the worship of Marduk on his tower of Bab -el Marduk in the continuing city of Babylon (and never mind the OT prophecy that said it was gone) carried on even to Sassanid times.

i think, by the way, that we can forget about 'Sumerians from outer space' and all that post -Daaniken nonsense. Civilisations were beginning to appear in Egypt, China, the Indus valley, Turkey, Malta, and South and Central America. We can see it evolving out of farming which brought a settled community together. And we can even see the evolution of writing, the evolution of tools, the evolution of towns and cities, the evolution of pottery, writing, and of course, kingship, war and religion. There is no reason to see any of this given by Gods, aliens in flying saucers or the god of any one particular religion. Humans were perfectly capable of doing it and the evidence is that humans did do it.

And that sounds believable. Or it should.
I dont think the Sumerian beliefs were nonsense at all...they were the first civilization to exist...if anyone was right, I think it was probably them, it may sound totally bizarre and crazy to us, but that doesnt mean anything really imo, we are too corrupted today in terms of religious beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,535 posts, read 10,074,917 times
Reputation: 19886
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well all I can say is there is a difference between a literalist and an non literalist, yet both are Christians, and you lump them all together when you say how delusional Christians are.

Yet are you not a deist? One who believe in a god who has basically forsaken the the world, created it and the left so to speak.

How then are you any less delusional?
If christianity is true, how can there be such an abyss between literalism and non-literalism?

The concept of deism does not require god to have "forsaken" the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
 
10,918 posts, read 11,092,178 times
Reputation: 3303
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If christianity is true, how can there be such an abyss between literalism and non-literalism?

The concept of deism does not require god to have "forsaken" the world.

Forsaken is pneuma's word. I never used that word. I said deism believes this god created the universe, set natural laws into place like evolution, physics, etc to govern it and then "left" the universe to its own management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
 
38,272 posts, read 10,441,589 times
Reputation: 5027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes. The Sumerian beliefs would pass on to the Egyptians, the Babylonians, Assyrians, Hebrews and later the Greeks, who would go on to influence the Romans. That's my theory anyway - and I'm sticking to it! So there!
I am suitably abjectified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,535 posts, read 10,074,917 times
Reputation: 19886
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Forsaken is pneuma's word. I never used that word. I said deism believes this god created the universe, set natural laws into place like evolution, physics, etc to govern it and then "left" the universe to its own management.
I wasn't responding to your post. I was responding to his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
 
38,272 posts, read 10,441,589 times
Reputation: 5027
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont think the Sumerian beliefs were nonsense at all...they were the first civilization to exist...if anyone was right, I think it was probably them, it may sound totally bizarre and crazy to us, but that doesnt mean anything really imo, we are too corrupted today in terms of religious beliefs.
I don;t believe any religions - neither Zoroastrianism nor Shinto, Judaism or the Sumerian gods. But 'nonsense' is rather reserved from claims that seem to fly in the face of the evidence.

'God' is not credible, but the Biblical creation is nonsense. Hindu gods are not believable - but an elephant -headed God is nonsense, There is no reason to believe in the Sumerian gods though no less reason than to believe in the magical mythtery tours in the Bible. But -in view of the evidence of Sumerian development, the gods from outer space theory is nonsense.

Just to clarify- there are three levels of disbelief (and three levels of faith -based denial)

(1) the evidence is all against it or pretty much.

(2) there is no evidence to go by, either for or against - or only indirect.

(3) This is pretty known,proved, done and dusted, total denialists aside (e.g flat -earthists) nut technically, we can't be 100%. One can always use 'brain in a vat' or 'Alien computer -game universe' arguments. But really they don't amount to anything but a technical uncertainty. Though religious apologists often do try to use this to argue that nothing is known for sure and so anything could be true, in the hope that Faith claims without a scrap of sound evidence can be claimed to be as probably with an alternate theory with a lot of evidence.

What's worse, they then want to pretend that the suggestion that has some Faith involved is thereby better than a suggestion without Faith behind it.

So where the 'Sumerians were aliens hypothesis comes is - evidence is against it, and nothing really for it. That is what we call 'nonsense'. Though 'Nonsense' (like 'strawman') is an epithet used by religious believers to denote any argument they don't want to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
 
10,918 posts, read 11,092,178 times
Reputation: 3303
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wasn't responding to your post. I was responding to his.

I was merely clarifying that his use of the word was not mine. He said,"Thrillobyte believes believe God forsook the world". I said I didn't use that word. Sheesh! What a grouch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top