U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:07 PM

22,437 posts, read 10,385,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
But you arenít something less - because hell isnít real. But thanks for the rational, honest answer.
An insult is an insult. While it matters whether or not an insult is true, it is still demeaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 PM

2,248 posts, read 501,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
An insult is an insult. While it matters whether or not an insult is true, it is still demeaning.
An intended insult isn’t demeaning, though, if you couldn’t care less about (or don’t respect) the person saying it.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-21-2019 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Left out ‘intended’

Old 05-21-2019, 10:21 PM

22,437 posts, read 10,385,168 times
Quote:
An intended insult isnít demeaning, though, if you couldnít care less about (or donít respect) the person saying it.
I know you have to have it your way. Go ahead.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:42 AM

105 posts, read 26,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why not? I have no problem mocking wilful ignorance and superstition. If we had someone here that was insisting that the Earth was flat, I'd wager you'd be standing alongside me mocking that belief. As for 'respect'. Why do you think beliefs should be respected?
No Rafius, on that one you'd be wrong and you'd lose the bet.
It's not the belief, or lack thereof, that gains my respect. It's the individual.
I may disagree. I may offer an alternative thought or option. But, I don't consider myself all knowing or so vastly superior to someone so as to mock or ridicule.
But, that's just me.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:05 AM

4,226 posts, read 2,589,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
No Rafius, on that one you'd be wrong and you'd lose the bet.
It's not the belief, or lack thereof, that gains my respect. It's the individual.
I may disagree. I may offer an alternative thought or option. But, I don't consider myself all knowing or so vastly superior to someone so as to mock or ridicule.
But, that's just me.
Me too, but maybe that's because we are not desiring something from others to such extreme degrees.
Who cares if any individuals want to handle snakes or not acknowledge any higher powers? Professionally I treat everyone as though they are atheist and that's how I prefer they treat me.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:21 AM

39,020 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Me too, but maybe that's because we are not desiring something from others to such extreme degrees.
Who cares if any individuals want to handle snakes or not acknowledge any higher powers? Professionally I treat everyone as though they are atheist and that's how I prefer they treat me.
Who cares indeed? The caveat 'Within the law' obtains. If there are religious practices that offend against the law, religious privilege is now not legally valid. Notable cases of endangering the life of a family members through religious beliefs will come to mind.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If there are religious practices that offend against the law, religious privilege is now not legally valid.
Committing a crime is (obviously) not in the same ballpark as atheists vs. christians showboating in a forum.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Committing a crime is (obviously) not in the same ballpark as atheists vs. christians showboating in a forum.
No, though obviously it is a part of the 'religion' debate: "How far do religious rights go?" But what has 'showboating' to do with individual rights? Did I miss something? Or is it just you making a digression to unaccountably swipe at Other atheists?

Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No, though obviously it is a part of the 'religion' debate: "How far do religious rights go?" But what has 'showboating' to do with individual rights? Did I miss something? Or is it just you making a digression to unaccountably swipe at Other atheists?
My (accountable) point is - the subject is atheists vs. christians, not criminality (of either).

Old 05-22-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
My (accountable) point is - the subject is atheists vs. christians, not criminality (of either).
Quite so, but Mod knows, the discussion can legitimately raise the rights of the religious and an aside about the legal limits without being told that we are of topic. And not by you. It is certainly no excuse for you to slip in a swipe about atheists 'showboating' on the forum. So the excuse, old mate, doesn't stand up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or