U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 12:06 AM

4,775 posts, read 889,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Ok, so...over in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, on March 10th, I posted a thread entitled Christians vs. Atheists.

In that post, I berated "Christians" for their attitude and interaction with those that either believe differently than they do or simply don't believe at all. I mentioned the "Holier than Thou" mindset that seems to, often, be present in their interactions with unbelievers. One can make a "strong post" so to speak, but it can still be done with a good measure of basic respect.

As a Christian...I stand by that post. Truly I say...Christians can be...the worst enemy of Christianity.

Now, I have a question if I may?

Why do SOME of the nonbelievers here act in a similar manner at times? I'm really interested if you'll care to share. I mean, I understand the difference in beliefs, the difference in opinions, etc...but, why the hostility? The mocking? The disrespect?

I could list some of my guesses that might contribute to this...but, I'd just rather hear from your viewpoint?
People reap what they show. I respect some of the religious people here because they show respect to others with different beliefs and non-beliefs, they are honest when they make arguments, they do not tell me why I am an atheist, and they accept they may be wrong in their beliefs.

Then there are the others who lose my respect.

And sometimes I have a problem trying to say something in English, so I use short sentences. I understand this may look rude to some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 12:18 AM

2,106 posts, read 458,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why don't you share with us what fighting you are doing.
I spent weeks/months answering to your (and others) interrogations and accusations that I was some sort of ‘undercover Christian spy’ and other such nonsense (and it is STILL happening as evidenced by your current accusation/insult lol) all in the hope I’d either find an intelligent discussion/debate or at the least, garner some support for the cause against PB. I had some success with the latter; but surprisingly, only with several agnostics (NO atheists) who messaged me and asked how they can get involved with AU (or the role I play) and wanted to know more. Even now, you ask in an antagonizing, spiteful way underneath the direct accusation I’m ‘appeasing christians’ (and then can’t give a direct response as to how I’m supposedly doing this). Why don’t you answer one of my questions for a change? Or better yet, go back to ignoring me.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-18-2019 at 01:11 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 12:52 AM

2,106 posts, read 458,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I don't think any non-believer worries about liberal Christians who have a live-and-let-live philosophy.
I know I don’t care about anyone’s beliefs - just don’t want it foisted upon me.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:43 AM

11,114 posts, read 10,942,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why don't you share with us what fighting you are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I spent weeks/months answering to your (and others) interrogations and accusations that I was some sort of Ďundercover Christian spyí and other such nonsense (and it is STILL happening as evidenced by your current accusation/insult lol) all in the hope Iíd either find an intelligent discussion/debate or at the least, garner some support for the cause against PB. I had some success with the latter; but surprisingly, only with several agnostics (NO atheists) who messaged me and asked how they can get involved with AU (or the role I play) and wanted to know more. Even now, you ask in an antagonizing, spiteful way underneath the direct accusation Iím Ďappeasing christiansí (and then canít give a direct response as to how Iím supposedly doing this). Why donít you answer one of my questions for a change? Or better yet, go back to ignoring me.
Why didn'y you just answer his question? I'd think there would be some readers interested in what you do to fight this Project Blitz.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:24 AM

38,710 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Quote:
I spent weeks/months answering to your (and others) interrogations and accusations that I was some sort of ‘undercover Christian spy’ and other such nonsense (and it is STILL happening as evidenced by your current accusation/insult lol) all in the hope I’d either find an intelligent discussion/debate or at the least, garner some support for the cause against PB. I had some success with the latter; but surprisingly, only with several agnostics (NO atheists) who messaged me and asked how they can get involved with AU (or the role I play) and wanted to know more. Even now, you ask in an antagonizing, spiteful way underneath the direct accusation I’m ‘appeasing christians’ (and then can’t give a direct response as to how I’m supposedly doing this). Why don’t you answer one of my questions for a change? Or better yet, go back to ignoring me.
You can hardly blame us for suspecting that you were an undercover theist trying to attack atheism from the inside because all you did was wrangle with a kind of atheism you thought was wrong. I did a bit of research and showed that you were evidently gen. atheist (not that i got any thanks from you) and suggested that you stop wrangling with us and show us how to engage with Christians.

But still no sign of it and still preferring to get into rows with atheists.

You will see here with CV that a polite and respectful Christian will get polite and respectful responses.

P.s I have to thank you though for mentioning Project Blitz because that was the first I'd heard of it. Considering the nature of this piece of undercover subversion, the sheer extent of the blanket of secrecy is astonishing. Nothing on news or media. No videos other than a couple of atheist organisations warning about it. I'm even wondering whether it's a real thing or a imagined conspiracy based on some undoubted Rightwing Christian initiatives at State -level. Obviously with suggestions that Other states try the same thing. Let's face it, they've been trying to push through all sorts of state -level christian initiatives for a decade or so. Dammit, it's even happened at presidential level.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-18-2019 at 05:34 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 06:07 AM

13,044 posts, read 4,893,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My mocking and disrespect is aimed solely at Christian fundamentalists who think life was perfect in 1955 - when women stayed quiet, barefoot, and pregnant and gays stayed entrenched in their closets.

People like that pose a grave danger to mankind because they both vote and breed.

I don't think any non-believer worries about liberal Christians who have a live-and-let-live philosophy.
nailed it --- again.

Fundy-think types are a serous threat to the rest us.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
To my way of thinking non believers are doing the work of God by being hostile, mocking and disrespecting.

Ever read 2 Peter 3:3....??

We are just doing what God needs us to do to fulfill Bible Prophecy.

In fact, I have my fingers crossed hoping that God chose me to be the AntiChrist.
that snake may have been the most important creation in the garden by that biblegod thing.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
You didnít answer the question. How is stating I donít care if Christians think Iím going to hell - appeasing them? And, Iím not fighting Project Blitz alone - lol. Come on, you arenít even making sense.
corp, to the rational person its not appeasing them. these people have been scared by religion, abused by it actually. how do adult children of abuse behave when triggered? What would you experience when talking about a subject with an adult child of abuse that has been triggered?

This cite has a high concentration of anti-religious fundamentalist. some of these guys are all or nothing and black/white thinkers that have a very narrow line of thinking. They cannot separate religion from bad people any more than they can separate a belief in god from religion.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:09 AM

22,055 posts, read 10,266,157 times
Quote:
I spent weeks/months answering to your (and others) interrogations and accusations that I was some sort of Ďundercover Christian spyí and other such nonsense (and it is STILL happening as evidenced by your current accusation/insult lol) all in the hope Iíd either find an intelligent discussion/debate or at the least, garner some support for the cause against PB. I had some success with the latter; but surprisingly, only with several agnostics (NO atheists) who messaged me and asked how they can get involved with AU (or the role I play) and wanted to know more. Even now, you ask in an antagonizing, spiteful way underneath the direct accusation Iím Ďappeasing christiansí (and then canít give a direct response as to how Iím supposedly doing this). Why donít you answer one of my questions for a change? Or better yet, go back to ignoring me.
First of all, I wasn't ignoring you. For quite a while I didn't find any of your posts to be particularly intriguing to me.

It seems to me that (and others may disagree) that your responses to christian dominance are sort of "soft". Polite. Gentle. Which is fine.

Except that I then have a hard time finding those types of responses as "fighting". Words are important to me. I don't see the "fighting" part that you claim.

And as I expressed myself about that, I thought back to my own passions about various causes. One being, for example, civil rights within the sphere of my job as a principal. There were things that I did that were fair to say were on the side of activism (although I would not have used the term "fighting", because to me that would have been hyperbole). I was the only professional in my school that visited the homes of minority students at all, and particularly in risky neighborhoods. I increased the percentage of minority professional staff in my school from approximately 1% when I became principal, to approximately 11%. In a school that had been around for nearly 50 years, I was the first to hire even one, and in fact multiple administrators who were minorities and not all male. I similarly -- and I may claim single-handedly -- increased minority student presence in our gifted programs from something around 2% to more like 12%, the latter being closer to the African-American presence in our school's population. And then there were the "small group field trips" outside of school hours where I took minority students to events that fostered an interest in careers in science and/or going to college. Not to mention being a card-carrying member and significant financial contributor (based on my income) for the NAACP and the Southern Poverty Law Center. All of those things might be described as some level of activitism, but to say I was "fighting" for civil rights would be pure hyperbole. I didn't face police dogs, water hoses, lynchings, or any other personal safety situations (other than going into a couple of risky neighborhoods).

Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 AM

7,956 posts, read 4,712,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Sam Harris does; he makes that clear in 'The End of Faith'
I also do, didn't read any book about it though. I know many conservative Christians and Muslims who bolster their false faith by the number of their religion, not the number of their conservatives only.

It is even a dogma common in many Muslim sects (Haddith I think) that liberal Muslims are a useful tool to infiltrate non-Muslim societies and open them up to conservative Muslims.

The above is probably also an unspoken truth with Christian missionaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or