U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 11:42 AM

3,427 posts, read 1,256,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Basically what you are saying is - we all have the ‘right’ to disagree. Yes, I agree - lol.
In the U.S. we all have a right to disagree, yes. However many people consider disagreeing with their beliefs to be blasphemy. And it has often been made illegal by the majority. Several states had blasphemy laws on their books into the 20th century. Numerous countries still have blasphemy laws. Blasphemy against Islam is considered a capital offence in many Islamic countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 12:21 PM

19,774 posts, read 19,875,860 times
Unfortunately, it's difficult to discuss Project Blitz here since the proponents of it are using political means to achieve their goals and politics isn't welcome here.
If one does dare to venture into the P&C forum, certain subjects reveal quite a sizable number that reveal themselves to be atheist but do not frequent these forums.
For those familiar ( like CC) it may be worthwhile to introduce the movement there for the politically active who may not even be aware of it

Old 05-19-2019, 01:01 PM

13,457 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
In the U.S. we all have a right to disagree, yes. However many people consider disagreeing with their beliefs to be blasphemy. And it has often been made illegal by the majority. Several states had blasphemy laws on their books into the 20th century. Numerous countries still have blasphemy laws. Blasphemy against Islam is considered a capital offence in many Islamic countries.
yes, anti-religious fundy and religious fundy are both guilty of forcing irrational views on the rest of us.

the question is why do we let them?

Old 05-19-2019, 01:10 PM

3,427 posts, read 1,256,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes, anti-religious fundy and religious fundy are both guilty of forcing irrational views on the rest of us.

We only let them if we fail to address their claims on a point by point basis.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:13 PM

22,438 posts, read 10,385,168 times
Quote:

Nobody is forcing you to believe anything.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:25 PM

2,248 posts, read 501,610 times
Quote:

I agree both sides are guilty - much of it is for show, though. At the end of the day, no one can ‘force’ anything on anyone in a forum.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Unfortunately, it's difficult to discuss Project Blitz here since the proponents of it are using political means to achieve their goals and politics isn't welcome here.
If one does dare to venture into the P&C forum, certain subjects reveal quite a sizable number that reveal themselves to be atheist but do not frequent these forums.
For those familiar ( like CC) it may be worthwhile to introduce the movement there for the politically active who may not even be aware of it
I will need to do this - it’s important people know how our Constitution is being mugged. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:27 PM

13,457 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Atheism rejects all god -claims equally. The fact is that in the west it is Christianity which is the religion we have to deal with. It flags up that not believing any god -claim or religion is only the basic rationale of atheism. The practical question is - what as atheists do we do about the authority and influence that religion - and of course - One religion in particular - has?

We seem to be on the same page here, Your line seems to be that the subversive effort of Christian fundamentalism to control and suborn the US politics and society at state level at least is best handled through law. I agree, but I also think it's a tricky business to rely on the law (and constitution) when the Religious Right are only too eager to rewrite law and constitution to say whatever they want. I feel that what is needed is a huge public opinion that they won't allow that to happen. And that can only be done by persuading people - the irreligious, non religious and anti religious as well as religious liberals that this is not in our interests.

They are all on the same side, or ought to be. That means you and me (or us) also.
your sect of atheism deny everything equally. I would say you deny everything just because you thats what your dogma tells you to do.

not all atheist are members the deny everything fundamental sect of atheist. That sect of atheism is far too religious looking for most of us.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:58 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,332,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Now, I have a question if I may?

Why do SOME of the nonbelievers here act in a similar manner at times? I'm really interested if you'll care to share. I mean, I understand the difference in beliefs, the difference in opinions, etc...but, why the hostility? The mocking? The disrespect?
Why not? I have no problem mocking wilful ignorance and superstition. If we had someone here that was insisting that the Earth was flat, I'd wager you'd be standing alongside me mocking that belief. As for 'respect'. Why do you think beliefs should be respected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why don't you share with us what fighting you are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I spent weeks/months answering to your (and others) interrogations and accusations that I was some sort of ‘undercover Christian spy’ and other such nonsense (and it is STILL happening as evidenced by your current accusation/insult lol) all in the hope I’d either find an intelligent discussion/debate or at the least, garner some support for the cause against PB. I had some success with the latter; but surprisingly, only with several agnostics (NO atheists) who messaged me and asked how they can get involved with AU (or the role I play) and wanted to know more. Even now, you ask in an antagonizing, spiteful way underneath the direct accusation I’m ‘appeasing christians’ (and then can’t give a direct response as to how I’m supposedly doing this). Why don’t you answer one of my questions for a change? Or better yet, go back to ignoring me.
So what was it you were doing to fight PB? Did I miss your answer?

Old 05-21-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

So what was it you were doing to fight PB? Did I miss your answer?
I’m personally involved through a professional organization/committee for Civil Rights. Anyone can get involved with AU, however. Before a bill becomes State Law, it passes through several steps and during committee consideration (early on), there is a public hearing. This is where public participation is needed (and where mocking and anti-theism would be completely ineffective, even harmful).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-21-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or