U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 AM

105 posts, read 26,276 times

Advertisements

Ok, so...over in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, on March 10th, I posted a thread entitled Christians vs. Atheists.

In that post, I berated "Christians" for their attitude and interaction with those that either believe differently than they do or simply don't believe at all. I mentioned the "Holier than Thou" mindset that seems to, often, be present in their interactions with unbelievers. One can make a "strong post" so to speak, but it can still be done with a good measure of basic respect.

As a Christian...I stand by that post. Truly I say...Christians can be...the worst enemy of Christianity.

Now, I have a question if I may?

Why do SOME of the nonbelievers here act in a similar manner at times? I'm really interested if you'll care to share. I mean, I understand the difference in beliefs, the difference in opinions, etc...but, why the hostility? The mocking? The disrespect?

I could list some of my guesses that might contribute to this...but, I'd just rather hear from your viewpoint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM

25,775 posts, read 13,404,281 times
My mocking and disrespect is aimed solely at Christian fundamentalists who think life was perfect in 1955 - when women stayed quiet, barefoot, and pregnant and gays stayed entrenched in their closets.

People like that pose a grave danger to mankind because they both vote and breed.

I don't think any non-believer worries about liberal Christians who have a live-and-let-live philosophy.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM

6,843 posts, read 6,183,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Ok, so...over in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, on March 10th, I posted a thread entitled Christians vs. Atheists.

In that post, I berated "Christians" for their attitude and interaction with those that either believe differently than they do or simply don't believe at all. I mentioned the "Holier than Thou" mindset that seems to, often, be present in their interactions with unbelievers. One can make a "strong post" so to speak, but it can still be done with a good measure of basic respect.

As a Christian...I stand by that post. Truly I say...Christians can be...the worst enemy of Christianity.

Why do SOME of the nonbelievers here act in a similar manner at times? I'm really interested if you'll care to share. I mean, I understand the difference in beliefs, the difference in opinions, etc...but, why the hostility? The mocking? The disrespect?

I could list some of my guesses that might contribute to this...but, I'd just rather hear from your viewpoint?
To my way of thinking non believers are doing the work of God by being hostile, mocking and disrespecting.

Ever read 2 Peter 3:3....??

We are just doing what God needs us to do to fulfill Bible Prophecy.

In fact, I have my fingers crossed hoping that God chose me to be the AntiChrist.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 AM

3,427 posts, read 1,256,851 times
Quote:

As you say, "Christians can be the worst enemy of Christianity." Christians preach peace love and toleration. However far to many religious people have a history of practicing violence hatred and intolerance. For many centuries anyone who dared to question whatever represented mainstream Christian doctrine at the time was subject to being put to death. Often in very unpleasant ways. So the whole concept of being able to freely stand up and contradict Christian claims is still rather a novel one. Non believers still have a great deal of catching up to do.

Christians often accuse non believers (atheists if you prefer) of being arrogant, rude and offensive. How exactly does one go about explaining to another person that that person's entire view of reality is nothing more than childlike ancient superstition WITHOUT being perceived as being arrogant, rude and offensive?

Religion is currently in the process of eroding away in the educated west. Non belief is going mainstream. Believers will of course fight tooth and nail to hold fast to their beliefs. But no one lives forever. As the hardcore believers die off, there are fewer and fewer hardcore believers to take their place. The religious will blame atheists for this of course. But as humankind becomes more sophisticated, more educated in the reasons behind the way the universe actually operates, it is inevitable that the childlike ancient superstitious beliefs of the ignorant past should pass away. Humankind is slowly but surely struggling towards an adulthood in which childlike notions and assumptions are simply no longer viable.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 AM

22,446 posts, read 10,395,261 times
Quote:

I'm sure there are many reasons, and that they differ somewhat from poster to poster. But let me start with what you ended with -- hostility (how hostile is it that many places have laws that atheists cannot run for office?) and disrespect (what can be more disrespectful than telling someone they are going to hell because they don't believe in the same thing?).

But for me, what it comes down to is that I think that atheists need to forcefully say to pushy christians that they need to back off, or else.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:23 AM

4,226 posts, read 2,591,307 times
Quote:

Buttholes will be buttholes, no matter if they are a believer or non-believer...as people are approaching their graves, some may become more/less tolerant of others. However, the average 30-year-old is not looking for the over 50 crowds to save the world...their feelings are that they have already had their turn in the sun, and that they are the very ones who murked it up in the first place.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:45 AM

10,525 posts, read 15,580,641 times
Religion is currently in the process of eroding away in the educated west. Non belief is going mainstream. Believers will of course fight tooth and nail to hold fast to their beliefs. But no one lives forever. As the hardcore believers die off, there are fewer and fewer hardcore believers to take their place. The religious will blame atheists for this of course. But as humankind becomes more sophisticated, more educated in the reasons behind the way the universe actually operates, it is inevitable that the childlike ancient superstitious beliefs of the ignorant past should pass away. Humankind is slowly but surely struggling towards an adulthood in which childlike notions and assumptions are simply no longer viable.

This was done before, if you kindly refresh your history knowledge. There was a country with almost 350 000 000 population plus satellites, where religion was banned and persecuted, as you say, "tooth and nail". You know what happened there.

Will you really think that people, who lived in that country, are somehow different from people that live anywhere else on the planet?
Besides, religion is not eroding. It is being eroded. Particularly, Christianity. Read Protocols, always read Protocols. Fakes, right? Remember HG Wells? Yes, THAT Wells. Who by far was not just a writer, but one of the greatest visionary minds of his time and country. When he was asked, if Protocols were fake or true, he said - Does it really matter, as far as what is written, is witnessed in the real life?

Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 PM

8,822 posts, read 5,123,147 times
Quote:

What happened to it? It's not there now.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:11 PM

105 posts, read 26,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What happened to it? It's not there now.
Oops....my bad.

It was posted HERE...not over in A&A like I thought.
As they say...I've slept since then--memory failed me.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 PM

2,252 posts, read 504,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm sure there are many reasons, and that they differ somewhat from poster to poster. But let me start with what you ended with -- hostility (how hostile is it that many places have laws that atheists cannot run for office?) and disrespect (what can be more disrespectful than telling someone they are going to hell because they don't believe in the same thing?).

But for me, what it comes down to is that I think that atheists need to forcefully say to pushy christians that they need to back off, or else.
Federal Law (the supremacy clause) supersedes State Law. Though it’s not technically enforceable (it would be overturned easily), there are several State Constitutions which need ‘updating’ (and badly). That said, telling ‘pushy’ Christians to ‘back off’ in a forum is not how that will be accomplished anymore than it will help fight Project Blitz - at least not in terms of solid, measurable (and logical) change. One thing as certain as death, though - is the ongoing fighting and tomfoolery in forums (and it tends to multiply like cockroaches - lol).

And, personally, I couldn’t possibly care less if someone thinks I’m going to hell; arguing with someone about it just gives their claim attention and importance (in terms of my time).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-17-2019 at 01:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or