U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2019, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,440 posts, read 10,390,177 times
Reputation: 20299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I just spoke here. Yes, written "speak" but still speaking so to speak.

If you and I knew each other in person...I'd offer to speak to you face to face. If you were interested, we'd chat. I'd listen to your objections to God, I'd hope you'd listen to my reasons for believing.

If you were not interested, I'd respect your wish. And, from my perspective, we could still get along just fine.
So you confront people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2019, 01:19 PM
 
5,452 posts, read 2,292,432 times
Reputation: 16436
You're not wrong, actually. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_theology


What they fail to see is that scrupulous avoidance of government founded on Christianity is what has allowed Fundamentalism, among other Christian denominations, to thrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,440 posts, read 10,390,177 times
Reputation: 20299
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I just spoke here. Yes, written "speak" but still speaking so to speak.

If you and I knew each other in person...I'd offer to speak to you face to face. If you were interested, we'd chat. I'd listen to your objections to God, I'd hope you'd listen to my reasons for believing.

If you were not interested, I'd respect your wish. And, from my perspective, we could still get along just fine.
So you confront people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 01:27 PM
 
105 posts, read 26,267 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you confront people?
Confront?

I thought I just explained that?
I'd offer to speak with you...if you resisted or rejected, I'd comply. Is that confronting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,440 posts, read 10,390,177 times
Reputation: 20299
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Confront?

I thought I just explained that?
I'd offer to speak with you...if you resisted or rejected, I'd comply. Is that confronting?
In other words, you would come to me and want to talk me about your religion.

That's invasive.

It's a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 01:50 PM
 
105 posts, read 26,267 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In other words, you would come to me and want to talk me about your religion.

That's invasive.

It's a sin.
Well, I guess we have different opinions about what "invasive" means. I see what I describe is two people sharing and communicating on a given subject---until one or the other is no longer interested in said communication.

Does this definition of invasive pertain exclusively to religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,440 posts, read 10,390,177 times
Reputation: 20299
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Well, I guess we have different opinions about what "invasive" means. I see what I describe is two people sharing and communicating on a given subject---until one or the other is no longer interested in said communication.

Does this definition of invasive pertain exclusively to religion?
No. It pertains to any hawker of goods, services, or religion who does not ASK for "intervention".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 PM
 
105 posts, read 26,267 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. It pertains to any hawker of goods, services, or religion who does not ASK for "intervention".
Ok, let me make sure I understand...

As I said, in the scenario presented, you and I know each other. Maybe we work together.

So, if I were to come to you and say, "Phetaroi, I'd like to ask you a question if I may because I'm really interested in your opinion. Do you believe there is a God?" I'd be guilty of being a hawker of invasive sin? Yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,440 posts, read 10,390,177 times
Reputation: 20299
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Ok, let me make sure I understand...

As I said, in the scenario presented, you and I know each other. Maybe we work together.

So, if I were to come to you and say, "Phetaroi, I'd like to ask you a question if I may because I'm really interested in your opinion. Do you believe there is a God?" I'd be guilty of being a hawker of invasive sin? Yes?
Yes, whether we know each other or not, because you aren't interested in what I'll call his "freedom of opinion". You're actually interested in your own opinion. So you're being dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 02:15 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,252 posts, read 503,088 times
Reputation: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Confront?

I thought I just explained that?
I'd offer to speak with you...if you resisted or rejected, I'd comply. Is that confronting?
Are you a Christian Fundamentalist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top