U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 04:30 PM

9,279 posts, read 5,491,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. It pertains to any hawker of goods, services, or religion who does not ASK for "intervention".
Everyone is hawking something. You've simply chosen to focus on one type of hawking you despise.

For me, it's the pharmaceutical industry and advertising. They do a hell of a lot more damage to Americans than fundamentalists because most smart people wont swallow that hogwash. On the other hand plenty of smart ones go to their doctors asking for medicines advertised on TV that could very well kill them in short order.

It always fascinates me how, while the background images of laughing, smiling, active people are shown, the spokesperson drones on and on about the "possible" side effects of the drug that will otherwise make one "happy."

I am as anti-religious fundamentalist as they come, but their "advertisement" with signs on their property or even adds in newspapers don't bother me at all. It's part of what is disappearing in America---the right to voice one's own opinion. Castigate me for my opinion, whatever it is, but when calling for suppression, that's a different story altogether.

Now fundamentalists will cry they are being discriminated against because of what they SAY. No one gives a rat's ass about what they SAY, but when their "freedom" must include the right to enforce their self-made bigotry on those who wish to partake of goods or services, then it is their ACTIONS that get kickback.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 06-07-2019 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: added last line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 PM

22,459 posts, read 10,399,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Pretty simple actually. I would not object to them coming to speak to me about it...not in the least. If they were someone I knew, I'd probably listen and give them their chance. I'd be open minded enough to admit they might have something I needed. As I'm known to do, I repeat myself---I don't know everything and I don't claim to.

But, if the time came when I said "no thanks"--that would be the make or break. Do they smile, accept my wish, and drop it? Or, would they insist...and insist...and insist...? As long as they responded in the former fashion, I'd have absolutely no problem with them approaching me.

Yes, good analogy.
This is not a question of open-mindedness...unless of course you're totally open-minded enough to drop being a christian and become a Hindu.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:40 PM

13,493 posts, read 4,990,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Everyone is hawking something. You've simply chosen to focus on one type of hawking you despise.

For me, it's the pharmaceutical industry and advertising. They do a hell of a lot more damage to Americans than fundamentalists because most smart people wont swallow that hogwash. On the other hand plenty of smart ones go to their doctors asking for medicines advertised on TV that could very well kill them in short order.

It always fascinates me how, while the background images of laughing, smiling, active people are shown, the spokesperson drones on and on about the "possible" side effects of the drug that will otherwise make one "happy."

I am as anti-religious fundamentalist as they come, but their "advertisement" with signs on their property or even adds in newspapers don't bother me at all. It's part of what is disappearing in America---the right to voice one's own opinion. Castigate me for my opinion, whatever it is, but when calling for suppression, that's a different story altogether.
yes ward.

I am anit-fundy think type, no matter what they believe. they tend to butcher all common sense that most people's beliefs have.

Like pharmaceuticals. people call me a communist because I say its ok too limit their profits. They can buy 5 houses in five countries, its ok to say no more, thats not Communism.

I focus on my statements of belief about god fundy'. the are embarrassing and dangerous to people around them.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I am a Christian...yes...definitely.

My first post here really focused on the "Agenda" part of the title. In that Post, I admitted to having an agenda...Jesus.

As stated, I honestly don't know what defines a Fundamentalist? I'd say I'm more conservative than liberal if that helps narrow?
Study Scripture scholastically. It is an eye-opener and gives one a new perspective.

Fundamentalism crosses the line when it tries to impose its own morality (calling it "God's") on other people, whether it's about guns, body rights, or certain activities that are deemed "sinful." It shouldn't bother a Jesus follower what others DO, it should bother them that they aren't being the kind of role model Jesus insisted from His followers.

Here are the primary tenets of "christian" fundamentalists (of which I used to be one!)

Quote:
Literal Interpretation of the Bible: According to "Understanding Christian Fundamentalism," the most crucial aspect of fundamentalist Christian beliefs is that all of the words in the Bible, preferably the King James Version, are to be taken literally.

One Way to Heaven: The Thoughtful Christian explained the fundamentalist perspective of the satisfaction theory of atonement. Upon birth, all of humanity is sinful in nature and deserves death as a punishment.

Bodily Resurrection: The "bodily resurrection" in Fundamentalist Christianity refers to the belief that Jesus' resurrection involved his physical body, as well as his spirit. According to The Thoughtful Christian, a Fundamentalist believes that everyone who has been saved will also experience a physical resurrection of the body, not just of the spirit.

The Nation of Israel: From a Fundamentalist Christian perspective, Israel is God's chosen nation and will play a key role in the end of human history, according to McSwain. Any nation that stands against Israel will do so at its own peril.

No Room for Debate: There are several issues within a fundamentalist doctrine that have no room for debate. According to McSwain, one of these is that abortion is always murder and the second is that homosexuality is "a sin against nature and an abomination to God."
https://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures.../17/id/639249/

If you want to see how set in stone they are, go the Christianity thread and look at the sub-thread on "Why do Conservative Christians feel homosexuality is worse than others" or something of that nature. You can spot a fundamentalist on it from a mile away, and the smell of bigotry is infusive in almost every post.

The only one of these I still hold to is number three---bodily resurrection---and I no longer hold to only those who are "saved" go to heaven, because I think God will save us all. That's why I'm generally nice to atheists that flood this board. They may be my neighbor up there!

Old 06-07-2019, 05:03 PM

680 posts, read 149,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Since you have used that example a couple times....

Amway might actually be a good analogy, so let's use it. Not unlike religion, your friends have something in which they believe, and think it would be good if you had some too. What are your thoughts/feelings/reactions if they try to sell you Amway?
Quote:
Pretty simple actually. I would not object to them coming to speak to me about it...not in the least. If they were someone I knew, I'd probably listen and give them their chance. I'd be open minded enough to admit they might have something I needed. As I'm known to do, I repeat myself---I don't know everything and I don't claim to.

But, if the time came when I said "no thanks"--that would be the make or break. Do they smile, accept my wish, and drop it? Or, would they insist...and insist...and insist...? As long as they responded in the former fashion, I'd have absolutely no problem with them approaching me.

Yes, good analogy.
No, it's not. I won't even call it a 'bad analogy', because that would be giving it too much credit.

I've had precisely one interaction with Amway at all in my life. Back in the 1990s, an uncle tried to sell me some plastic device that would supposedly allow me to do laundry without detergent. Something to do with ionic bonding. Other than than, all I know is that it's some sort of multi-level marketing scheme.

Now, the Amway analogy would be a good analogy if our culture was positively to the gills in everything Amway.

*If there were entire channels on television devoted to the glories of Amway, twenty-four hours a day.
*If there were large neighborhood buildings where everyone went to hear Sunday morning speeches about the wonders of Amway.
*If kids went to Amway School.
*If every courthouse had posted on its walls the TEN RULES OF AMWAY.
*If Presidential candidates were regularly scrutinized for their devotion to Amway products.
*If you hadn't been told more times than you can remember that you'll regret for all eternity not buying Amway products.
*If the vernacular was teeming with homilies and idioms from the Ancient Book of Amway.
*If every piece of money in my pockets said IN AMWAY WE TRUST.
*If lots of people wore little Amway pendants around their necks.
*If sneezes were regularly greeted with an "Amway bless you!".
*If you couldn't buy booze on Sundays because the President of Amway thought it was wrong.
*If parts of the biology curricula of high schools sometimes weren't taught because they offended Amway devotees.
*If we dated our years from the founding of Amway.

Then it would be a good analogy.

You see, then no one would be ignorant of Amway. Everyone would have been exposed to it ad nauseam, over and over and over. So when some Amway peddler appeared and said "Hey, I've got the best product ever! And I want to tell you about it because the ionic bonding powers of this little plastic thing is gonna change your life!" You'd roll your eyes because you already have heard not only this spiel, you've seen it penetrate every last nook and cranny of society even if you don't use Amway. It's there on the courthouse wall: THOU SHALT NOT USE DETERGENT, for Amway's sake! You marvel at the cluelessness of this Amway clown presuming to tell you anything you haven't already heard over and over and over and over.

Because Amway is just a fringe business for a) easy marks, and b) those looking to make money off easy marks, whereas Christianity permeates, to orders of magnitude beyond what Amway ever could in the wildest dreams of whoever dreamt it up, every last nook and cranny of society, it is not a good analogy.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:06 PM

106 posts, read 26,501 times
I honestly stand amazed at how some of you guys a can juggle many different threads and conversations and stay "current". As Yoda might say...Impressed I am...I admit, I can hardly keep up with just one thread...Anyway...

I've read pretty much all of your thoughts on this subject.

So, I'm making this single post...
To Fundie, or not to Fundie...that is the question.

I am more Fundamentalist than not. I'd say that's the case anyway.

That being said, let me just focus on one issue to keep this reasonably short. Let's take gay marriage.

I worked with "Bob" for many years. He and I had a blast together...we were both "tech heads" among other things and we shared a distinct sense of humor. I've since left that business and relocated.

Bob married another man a few years ago.
Do I whole heartily support this? No, not at all. The Fundie in me says it violates God's law.

But, maybe, just maybe...here's where I differ from the Fundamentalist attitude that many of you have encountered? Maybe?

I didn't defriend him on Facebook. I didn't go throw rocks through his window. I wouldn't duck and hide if I saw him coming.

No, I like the guy. I love the guy. Were we to meet somewhere today I'd throw my arms around him and say "Come here and give us a hug you big lug head..." or some other endearment. He's still....Bob. But, again ,to make myself clear. I equally wouldn't tell him that I think he made the right decision...I wouldn't tell him what I consider to be an untruth.

Yet, in the end...I do wish him well. I so do. God still loves him deeply and so do I.

That's the best I can do.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:10 PM

8,936 posts, read 8,400,927 times
2x3x...

You make a compelling case that Christianity is far more pervasive than Amway. I agree.

Does that mean that it is a topic that should not be brought up? Should we not talk about football, simply because a large portion of the population stops everything on Sunday’s in the fall? Because people wear team colors, and every newspaper, radio station and news web site publicizes scores?

The fact that something is commonly known in our society doesn’t mean we should not discuss it. We should all be polite and respectful, without pushing our conversational topics on others after a polite refusal.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:15 PM

2,258 posts, read 506,094 times
Quote:

That being said, let me just focus on one issue to keep this reasonably short. Let's take gay marriage.

I worked with "Bob" for many years. He and I had a blast together...we were both "tech heads" among other things and we shared a distinct sense of humor. I've since left that business and relocated.

Do I whole heartily support this? No, not at all. The Fundie in me says it violates God's law.

But, maybe, just maybe...here's where I differ from the Fundamentalist attitude that many of you have encountered? Maybe?

I didn't defriend him on Facebook. I didn't go throw rocks through his window. I wouldn't duck and hide if I saw him coming.
Cool story, bro. How can you be ‘sort of’ a fundamentalist (yet not know what it was ten minutes ago)?

Old 06-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I honestly stand amazed at how some of you guys a can juggle many different threads and conversations and stay "current". As Yoda might say...Impressed I am...I admit, I can hardly keep up with just one thread...Anyway...

No, I like the guy. I love the guy. Were we to meet somewhere today I'd throw my arms around him and say "Come here and give us a hug you big lug head..." or some other endearment. He's still....Bob. But, again ,to make myself clear. I equally wouldn't tell him that I think he made the right decision...I wouldn't tell him what I consider to be an untruth.

Yet, in the end...I do wish him well. I so do. God still loves him deeply and so do I.

That's the best I can do.
The real question is would you have attended "Bob's" wedding had he asked. That's the difference between being a "bible-believer" that separates yourself from others, or being a Jesus follower, who didn't have any problem eating with "sinners."

The distinction determines not your fundamentalism, but whether or not you are a bigot!

Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 PM

106 posts, read 26,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Cool story, bro. How can you be ‘sort of’ a fundamentalist (yet not know what it was ten minutes ago)?
Well bro....as I said, I read the posts about the subject and measured them against my beliefs.
Based on that criteria...I'm more fundamentalist than not...just as I said. Yet, not as "hard core" as some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or