U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 05:34 PM

2,936 posts, read 1,527,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Proof that all atheists don’t share a hive-mind, I am going to defend the Christian today.

I don’t think it is as bad as that. People talk about politics and sex all the time, why not religion? Sure, sometimes it is inappropriate, but I know it the political affiliation of many of my neighbors, and in my single years I asked women out on dates, with the not so secret motive of potential sex at some point in time if we hit it off.

I have a hobby where I spend hours st a tone with friends, and we talk about these things from time to time. I don’t see Casual Visitor doing anything that I haven’t seen in the past, or they I have done. If the topic is unpalatable to you, say you don’t want to discuss and move on.
I am glad you chose me to defend the Christian.

You are right. It is not as bad as it is made out to be. I actually sit patiently and listen to all they have to say face-to-face. I know they mean well and are just "looking out and after me." It's basically boundaries and Casual Visitor clearly knows when to stop.

So why do I take that position or even share it? Sometimes I think I am helping people out, no different than the Christian. That is not my main purpose of coming to City-data though but sometimes I do it.

Last edited by elyn02; 06-07-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 PM

25,572 posts, read 13,301,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
...snip... But, again ,to make myself clear. I equally wouldn't tell him that I think he made the right decision...I wouldn't tell him what I consider to be an untruth.

Yet, in the end...I do wish him well. I so do. God still loves him deeply and so do I.

That's the best I can do.
The decision Bob made was to be true to the nature with which he was born. Bob's husband made that same decision.

If Bob and his husband are Christian, they believe God created mankind in his own image.

Ergo: God incorporates every aspect of sexuality within itself.

Deal with it.

Many millions of thoughtful, empathetic Christians have done exactly that.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 PM

585 posts, read 124,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
2x3x...

You make a compelling case that Christianity is far more pervasive than Amway. I agree.

Does that mean that it is a topic that should not be brought up? Should we not talk about football, simply because a large portion of the population stops everything on Sundayís in the fall? Because people wear team colors, and every newspaper, radio station and news web site publicizes scores?

The fact that something is commonly known in our society doesnít mean we should not discuss it. We should all be polite and respectful, without pushing our conversational topics on others after a polite refusal.
It's a free country (well, last I checked, anyway)

But I was speaking to this idea of the amazing pizza that's going to change our lives! No. We all know about pizza. It's this presumption that they have something new to say. They don't. The pestering Christian is about as welcome to me as my uncle and his Amway snake-oil, or Tom Cruise hawking Dianetics and e-meters. Imagine someone in Red Square in 1980 saying "Hey Yuri, ya ever heard of this Lenin fellow?". Yes. Yuri is undoubtedly quite familiar with Vladimir Ulyanov. There is nothing new there to be revealed. The narcissism of the evangelical is that they think they have something new under the sun to tell me. They don't. And their obliviousness to this glaringly obvious reality is tiresome.

Do I think it should be illegal? Of course not. Do I think they deserve deference and cordiality for their studied obtuseness? No.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:37 PM

38,753 posts, read 10,667,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I honestly stand amazed at how some of you guys a can juggle many different threads and conversations and stay "current". As Yoda might say...Impressed I am...I admit, I can hardly keep up with just one thread...Anyway...

I've read pretty much all of your thoughts on this subject.

So, I'm making this single post...
To Fundie, or not to Fundie...that is the question.

I am more Fundamentalist than not. I'd say that's the case anyway.

That being said, let me just focus on one issue to keep this reasonably short. Let's take gay marriage.

I worked with "Bob" for many years. He and I had a blast together...we were both "tech heads" among other things and we shared a distinct sense of humor. I've since left that business and relocated.

Bob married another man a few years ago.
Do I whole heartily support this? No, not at all. The Fundie in me says it violates God's law.

But, maybe, just maybe...here's where I differ from the Fundamentalist attitude that many of you have encountered? Maybe?

I didn't defriend him on Facebook. I didn't go throw rocks through his window. I wouldn't duck and hide if I saw him coming.

No, I like the guy. I love the guy. Were we to meet somewhere today I'd throw my arms around him and say "Come here and give us a hug you big lug head..." or some other endearment. He's still....Bob. But, again ,to make myself clear. I equally wouldn't tell him that I think he made the right decision...I wouldn't tell him what I consider to be an untruth.

Yet, in the end...I do wish him well. I so do. God still loves him deeply and so do I.

That's the best I can do.
That's all we ask. Atheists don't do 'Thought Crime'. If you honestly disagree with SS marriage, that's your opinion. If you don't try to repeal the legal permission for it or try to obstruct the doing of it, we don't have a problem with you. And, if you are still friends with the guy afterwards, even while disagreeing, then you merit a round of applause.

We are the same with YE Creationists. We disagree, but if that's their belief- it's their opinion, and we would oppose any move to grill people applying for a job at a filling station or check- out to ensure their views on evolution were Orthodox so as not to offend the evolutionists working there- provided he didn't keep preaching that 'There are no transitionals'.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:35 PM

55,600 posts, read 54,202,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The decision Bob made was to be true to the nature with which he was born. Bob's husband made that same decision.

If Bob and his husband are Christian, they believe God created mankind in his own image.

Deal with it.

Yes.

Except some might use "Godself".

Old 06-08-2019, 03:45 AM

13,061 posts, read 4,898,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Deal with it.

I mean I don't see what they don't get. If the interactions we see today don't tell us how the universe works ... what does?

what don't they see about reproduction, taken for what it is, a species "sleeping" with itself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or