U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2019, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,525 posts, read 10,420,275 times
Reputation: 20336

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, but I’m confident in my beliefs. I see the Christian model played out in our lives.
Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2019, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,525 posts, read 10,420,275 times
Reputation: 20336
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I’m baffled by your belief there is no evidence of a creator. I find that illogical.
I don't think it's illogical, because to us...or I should say to me...what I feel you are doing is seeing something and attributing it to a god. That would be illogical...but possible...to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 05:04 PM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,362 posts, read 8,903,254 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think it's illogical, because to us...or I should say to me...what I feel you are doing is seeing something and attributing it to a god. That would be illogical...but possible...to me.
To each his own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 05:11 PM
 
13,493 posts, read 5,001,803 times
Reputation: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I’m baffled by your belief there is no evidence of a creator. I find that illogical.
the universe was created. Either something started it or it came from nothing. I am in the something camp, but nothing is valid too. The furthest I will go is "born". that matches what we see, at least. we just don't know enough past that.

I am totally fine with this universe being made from a previous set of events.

I am baffled by the need for you to need the universe to be created by your type of god thing. well, actually I not. Humans are human I guess.

I see the color white too. I also know there is no "white light".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,362 posts, read 8,903,254 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the universe was created. Either something started it or it came from nothing. I am in the something camp, but nothing is valid too. The furthest I will go is "born". that matches what we see, at least. we just don't know enough past that.

I am totally fine with this universe being made from a previous set of events.

I am baffled by the need for you to need the universe to be created by your type of god thing. well, actually I not. Humans are human I guess.

I see the color white too. I also know there is no "white light".
Need? Your word, not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 05:36 PM
 
13,493 posts, read 5,001,803 times
Reputation: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Need? Your word, not mine.
well, you are insisting it has to have some traits we don't know it has. so that's more of a "need".

but thats a minor point. the real point is you are giving traits to your god that are based on unknowns. All I am saying is that it would seem better to base your faith on knowns.

like, we don't know how the universe started, so your god and the universe is here now and that's all we can say. why you have to have it "always presents" is baffling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 06:52 PM
 
10,562 posts, read 12,747,481 times
Reputation: 3875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
well, you are insisting it has to have some traits we don't know it has. so that's more of a "need".

but thats a minor point. the real point is you are giving traits to your god that are based on unknowns. All I am saying is that it would seem better to base your faith on knowns.

like, we don't know how the universe started, so your god and the universe is here now and that's all we can say. why you have to have it "always presents" is baffling.
There are many things you know without scientific means. Faith gives people a new perspective. They learn things they actually didn't know before. They realize what is truly important, which often contradicts worldly views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 07:00 PM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,362 posts, read 8,903,254 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
well, you are insisting it has to have some traits we don't know it has. so that's more of a "need".

but thats a minor point. the real point is you are giving traits to your god that are based on unknowns. All I am saying is that it would seem better to base your faith on knowns.

like, we don't know how the universe started, so your god and the universe is here now and that's all we can say. why you have to have it "always presents" is baffling.
The only “trait” I mentioned is that God is the ultimate being in the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 08:37 PM
Status: "Smacking fundies." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,836 posts, read 13,426,503 times
Reputation: 11678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The only “trait” I mentioned is that God is the ultimate being in the universe.
But you also believe he all-but dictated the bible to a bunch of anonymous dudes - silly stories and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,310 posts, read 10,345,088 times
Reputation: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What other possibilities are there for the origin of our universe, other than a creator (of some sort)?
Well, one other possibility (and the most logical) is that it has always been there in some form or other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
In my defense, you don’t have an answer to why/how the universe started.
Do you have an answer to 'It has always existed in some form or other.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top