U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 04:26 PM

513 posts, read 289,434 times

Advertisements

The Bible and most of religion's history says that God desires to love everyone unconditionally even if they are sinners or wrong. Why is "love" such an important value, that it even is more important than other values? We know governments in this world like Totalitarian systems or laws are because the government claims to "love all it's people". It reminds me or Orwell in a way. Why do I want to be "loved" by God? The only love I would like to have is with my own family/friends and a partner. I don't want to "love" everybody else around me as a brother or sister.

To add further insult to injury, I'll just get more hurt as that's how religion generally believes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 PM

39,091 posts, read 10,849,315 times
you don't have to dance to their tune - nor ours. We had a thread on tolerance and the point was made that tolerance is not loving your neighbour. That's the trick. Loving your neighbour is often beyond us. Let's do what we can do rather than fail on what we can't. You don't have to love everyone, but you can try to see that they have lives to live too, just as you'd want them to tolerate the life you live.

And if you do have a religion, I'd say that if we can see that is the best we can do, a god is smart enough to see that, too.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:00 PM

40,066 posts, read 26,744,474 times
I see Agape Love as a tangible aspect of our Reality that must be continually produced by sentient species throughout our measured universe. I see the physical environments as wombs within which sentient species learn to discern right and wrong, good and evil, suffering and joy, and ultimately agape love to various circumstances and exigencies of physical life. It is the mix of these "products" that comprises our actual spiritual existence. The more agape love we produce, the more we are in resonance with the consciousness that establishes our Reality.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:13 PM

11,246 posts, read 11,267,699 times
You're under the assumption that God desires to love us at all. If you look around at world, mate, you'll see not a nickle's worth of love coming from God at all. That's a fact. From the millions of children starving to death in Africa, to the millions of children being abused in the Far East/Asia, to the millions of people suffering debilitating diseases like M.E. and Lyme that slowly sap them of life while subjecting them to excruciating pain and suffering, to the millions of people living in squalor and filth all around the 3rd world, to the millions of people addicted to substances, to the millions who just decide to commit suicide because they can no longer stand life--do I need to go on? Through all of this God's love is nowhere to be seen. This is not my opinion. These are just the cold hard observations one makes when they decide to open their eyes. God deserted you when you were born, friends. You just don't know it. Don't rely on Him for squat. The Lord helps those who help themselves.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:40 AM

3,062 posts, read 1,566,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
The Bible and most of religion's history says that God desires to love everyone unconditionally even if they are sinners or wrong. Why is "love" such an important value, that it even is more important than other values? We know governments in this world like Totalitarian systems or laws are because the government claims to "love all it's people". It reminds me or Orwell in a way. Why do I want to be "loved" by God? The only love I would like to have is with my own family/friends and a partner. I don't want to "love" everybody else around me as a brother or sister.

To add further insult to injury, I'll just get more hurt as that's how religion generally believes.
I don't see love as a value. Instead it is a gift where the receiver has no obligation to accept it or to do anything more with it. I also prefer to be told directly from a god that it loves me rather than its followers.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:32 AM

13,493 posts, read 4,999,286 times
Quote:

weaponize "love" ... thats why.

governments, both anti-religious and theist use love as a weapon.

how can a person decide if they, themselves' are using the concept of "love" as a weapon? How can they, we, me, determine f the emotion of "love" is over riding common sense to such a point that its detrimental?

Old 05-26-2019, 08:14 AM

10,550 posts, read 12,744,353 times
It's about know that the greatest and most powerful entity actually loves and cares about you in the same way that a family member does.

God's spirit works through people, and that is how he loves us. When a child is first interacting with his parents, that is his first interaction with God.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:13 AM

3,435 posts, read 1,258,900 times
Quote:

If God loves us, then why did He create birth defects, flesh eating bacteria, leprosy and, well the list goes on and on.

If there is a God then this is an unanswerable question. If there is no God, and never was, then the answer is that biology is indifferent to human concepts.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:37 AM

10,607 posts, read 2,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's about know that the greatest and most powerful entity actually loves and cares about you in the same way that a family member does.

God's spirit works through people, and that is how he loves us. When a child is first interacting with his parents, that is his first interaction with God.
IDK about that...an ALL powerful, ALL knowing entity like God, who has existed forever, would not have such feelings or requirements.

The need to love or be loved is a human emotion, its said many times and in many different ways, God is NOTHING like us, his ways are not our ways, that he is unchanging for all eternity.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:51 AM

3,435 posts, read 1,258,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

There is a sense of security in the belief that there is an all powerful Being watching out for us. We actually live in a world of stark reality however, and stark reality offers no such sense of security. Now, who would want to believe in THAT?

But you see "want" has nothing to do with stark reality. Making informed decisions about stark reality CAN have an impact however. Informed decisions are impossible if one insists on subscribing to make believe. Then it's just a matter of dumb luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or