U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 10:52 AM

22,486 posts, read 10,408,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Is it really any different than your own "camp"? Do you not wish that everyone else believed as you do?

So it doesn't make sense that you would reject Christianity for that reason.
After thinking more about this last night, I feel I need to go back to this post and add something.

No, I actually don't wish that everyone else believed as I do. That is why we Buddhists (including me) don't evangelize. Even when I have had Americans ask me to take them to the Thai Theravada temple, I question them about why they want to go, and sometimes I refuse their request. The quest must come from within, not from some misplaced idea that someone should safe another person. The person has to walk the path themselves, and hope that they are on the right path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 11:43 AM

39,071 posts, read 10,842,814 times
Quote:
Hmm. I thought I had opened this thread in the Christianity forum.
Better off here. preaching to the Choir will get nobody anywhere. That said, this is just religion comfort -jerking. Assuming we can keep the Religious Right from taking over, social improvement initiatives will happen and the Christians can hold all the conferences they want, but social improvement couldn't care less about their discussions, their Religion or their Gospels and will resist their attempts to fasten like parasites on the body politic and suck its' blood while claiming the credit for keeping it healthy.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:03 PM

3,062 posts, read 1,565,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
to clear, I am atheist. Since like 9yrs old. I don't believe jesus was any more than a composite character in a book. But I was raised by strong catholic parents.

Your post is right. To me, religion is like a boat. what does one do with the boat when they have reached "yonder shore" sheds light one that person.

not everybody reaches it. it sucks, and I wish it was different, but it isn't. sometimes, its even the boat that caused the injury that prevents the person reaching that yonder shore.
I like this post, Arach.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:02 PM

13,493 posts, read 4,996,362 times
every post I post here is built from that baseline expressed in that post.
every single one.

well, minus the typos.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:06 PM

10,545 posts, read 12,741,220 times
Arach, you boat analogy doesn't work for me exactly because you are saying that religious belief is some kind of objective thing unto itself. But it's really just a way of pointing people to a certain truth. It's more like a sign. A sign has no power to do anything on it's own. How a person responds to the sign is the real core issue.

It would be like in the movie Empire Strikes Back. When Luke Skywalker sees a sign pointing to a cave of the unknown. Every person will encounter some kind of truth when they venture into that cave.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Arach, you boat analogy doesn't work for me exactly because you are saying that religious belief is some kind of objective thing unto itself. But it's really just a way of pointing people to a certain truth. It's more like a sign. A sign has no power to do anything on it's own. How a person responds to the sign is the real core issue.

It would be like in the movie Empire Strikes Back. When Luke Skywalker sees a sign pointing to a cave of the unknown. Every person will encounter some kind of truth when they venture into that cave.
no metaphors work exactly for anybody. It just a loose analogy that treats religion as a man made object that helps us through to an understanding.

just like a sign can. or a crutch, or anything really. and there is all kinds of boats. sail boats, motor boats, freighters, hover type, all kinds of methods. even signs pointing out where the boats are.

The boat story just lends itself to the complexity of our everyday lives better than a sign for me. The boat is being steered by a person. I focus on the people. The sign is more like a land mine. stuffed into the ground and forgotten, waiting to possibly mislead lead people , even if by accident.

I see fundy think types looking at the boat, or sign, as if it is reason good and bad things happens. they can't separate a broken boat from fixed one. or an out dated sign. they need them to all be removed or stay exactly as they are. So long as they look at these objects they will never see clearly and we will pay a dear price.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:49 PM

Signs, boats? Sounds like objective 'things'.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Signs, boats? Sounds like objective 'things'.
yup, religion is an looking objective thing and yonder shore ... not so much. people seem to be a mixture mixture of mind, body, spirit to me. The body represents the use/need for objective things.

like, the way we practice will be the way we play on game day.

what can we do/change to tighten it up?

Old 05-28-2019, 06:55 PM

10,545 posts, read 12,741,220 times
Maybe better than a sign pointing to cave of mystery would be Yoda. Religion is like Yoda. He can tell things to Luke, but still Luke must find his own way. It's a combination of teaching and practice.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:53 PM

I'll take Yoda any day over any preacher or priest I ever heard. Why did Luke seek Yoda? He wanted to learn how to control the force. In Christianity, you don't control god. In fact, you are a servant of God. Who was Luke a servant to?

What did Yoda see inside of Luke that troubled him? Fear. That is an emotion that we can agree most humans experience. Maladaptive behavior can be zeroed in on an emotion that most of us can relate to such as fear. We can adapt to it so that we can grow from it. What does Christianity see inside of humans that troubles it? Sin. This is not even an emotion and we have to be saved from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or