U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2019, 10:16 PM
 
39,790 posts, read 26,595,443 times
Reputation: 6028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
OK
Let me summarize the whole discussion then.

There no god (I use colloquial sense of this word b/c no other definition was given) in what we call "measurable" Reality.
There are a lot of things we don't know.
Although god may exist in a space of thing we don't know, we, without denying this possibility, simply ignore
it until such time when this existence is confirmed.

I agree.
Next topic.
In what we call our "measurable" Reality, there is this undeniable fact that SOMETHING is responsible for our existence and consciousness (and everything else we know about) and THAT SOMETHING is the minimum definition of God that I use. So there IS a definition of God that exists and matches at least a major colloquial sense of the word. Next topic.

 
Old 06-09-2019, 10:45 PM
 
69 posts, read 8,572 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
In what we call our "measurable" Reality, there is this undeniable fact that SOMETHING is responsible for our existence and consciousness (and everything else we know about) and THAT SOMETHING is the minimum definition of God that I use. So there IS a definition of God that exists and matches at least a major colloquial sense of the word. Next topic.

No, it does not.

Here is major colloquial sense of the word.

God
/ɡäd/

noun
1.
(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
2.
(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

You are not talking about the supreme being. You are talking about "SOMETHING that is responsible for our existence and consciousness".

I call "THAT SOMETHING" - Nature and I have no reason to call it anything else.
You call it God, by giving this word the usage which is already occupied, so to speak, usage, that belongs to another word - Nature.

I don't mind you doing so. You can use your words any way you like.
Just don't be surprised when you are not going to be understood and, as a result, going to be ignored, at best.

Would you like to go to the next topic?
 
Old 06-10-2019, 12:44 AM
 
39,790 posts, read 26,595,443 times
Reputation: 6028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
No, it does not.

Here is major colloquial sense of the word.

God
/ɡäd/

noun
1.
(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
2.
(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

You are not talking about the supreme being. You are talking about "SOMETHING that is responsible for our existence and consciousness".

I call "THAT SOMETHING" - Nature and I have no reason to call it anything else.
You call it God, by giving this word the usage which is already occupied, so to speak, usage, that belongs to another word - Nature.

I don't mind you doing so. You can use your words any way you like.
Just don't be surprised when you are not going to be understood and, as a result, going to be ignored, at best.

Would you like to go to the next topic?
You mentioned Nature, not me. The original name from the earliest days of human concern is God. The rejection and repugnance for the persecution perpetrated upon the originators of science by the religious autocracy are what provoked the name change NOT any scientific rationale or basis. It is a meaningless term scientifically and we STILL do not know what it actually is. You credit such inanities as "supernatural" when you do not believe any such thing exists only because it aids your rejection of the original term - God. Now that we have dispensed with your disingenuous nonsense - next topic.
 
Old 06-10-2019, 04:00 AM
 
13,061 posts, read 4,898,419 times
Reputation: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
OK
Let me summarize the whole discussion then.

There no god (I use colloquial sense of this word b/c no other definition was given) in what we call "measurable" Reality.
There are a lot of things we don't know.
Although god may exist in a space of thing we don't know, we, without denying this possibility, simply ignore
it until such time when this existence is confirmed.

I agree.
Next topic.
let me summarize it.

we started with me saying that some religious people have parts of their claim supported by observations.

after a bit of exchange, it has been shown that they indeed do have some parts of their claim correct and that some of what we are talking about differ only in words.

we also agreed that its so simple a nine year old can see it.

we can now move on to the discussion of "obscurantism" and half truths is the best way to try and close the gap between us or or is open and honest discussion about how the universe works the best way to discuss it.
 
Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,127 posts, read 10,946,832 times
Reputation: 7387
The last 50-75 posts indicate the absolute correct reasoning that caused this rule to be created:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Posts about God being the Universe are hereby declared off topic. We don't really care what you believe, but this forum is about Religion and Spirituality. Making post after post declaring that the Universe is God offers nothing for discussion about Religion or Spirituality. All you are doing is arguing the validity of an obscure dictionary definition. Stop it. If such a post appears, report it. DO NOT reply to it or you can expect an infraction for derailing a thread, pulling it away from discussions relevant to Religion or Spirituality.
The amount of nonsense posted in this thread really leaves us no choice but to close the thread.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top