U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 09:24 AM

22,437 posts, read 10,385,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This IS straw-manning because you pretend that there is no such thing as plausible hypotheses based on existing knowledge in the area of the currently unknown. Plausible hypotheses are NOT just making things up. It is how science expands current knowledge. Yes, they need to be fully tested before accepting them, but dismissing them as "making things up" is definitely "straw-manning."
Well, modern science puts things out there for other experts in the field to poke and prod. You haven't done that. You just want to sort of rule over this little forum. I've suggested this before, and again I challenge you to go out there in the world of science and put forth your belief. But you don't dare.

Last edited by phetaroi; 06-04-2019 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 AM

69 posts, read 9,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
there is no supernatural.

Like you say, and I totally agree with you, I am not interested in the proving or disproving anybody. I only look at each claim and see if it ties back to the standard model in some way.

claims that can be linked back to it are more valid than those that can't. I think you may even understand how it works ... claims that offer an explanation, mechanism, and repeatable predictions are more valid than claims that don't. period.
So what is you position this claim

Quote:
Christianity's claim that we are part of a larger, more complex, system, they call god,
?

How valid is it?

Also this:

Quote:
we are all connected to all life around us at the very fundamental levels, of what scientist are calling call space/time these days.
How those fundamental levels actually described/defined by Christianity?
Science is very specific about space/time.
What about Christianity?

Old 06-04-2019, 07:05 PM

13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
So what is you position this claim

?

How valid is it?

Also this:

How those fundamental levels actually described/defined by Christianity?
Science is very specific about space/time.
What about Christianity?
We are part of a larger more complex system. I don't care what they call it so long as the observations match the claim. I have said many times, so long as the observations can be repeated they are more valid than those that can't. they call it whatever they like. We can be part of a larger more complex system and a dude didn't die and rise for our sins.

people that can't accept that are just short sighted.

Many christian's can't explain it, thats why i often tell them they have some of the traits wrong. or, if they say something like "you don't know if I am wrong.", I answer with the fact that what I offer has an explanation, mechanism, and makes predictions, so its just more valid at this point.

that's all i say really. I haven't met one rational rational christian that degrees with me. We can coexist just fine. That's why they are leaving the religion, it just makes sense to offer a counter claim instead of just telling they are wrong without offering a counter claim.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:28 AM

39,014 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, modern science puts things out there for other experts in the field to poke and prod. You haven't done that. You just want to sort of rule over this little forum. I've suggested this before, and again I challenge you to go out there in the world of science and put forth your belief. But you don't dare.
I've asked him to substantiate his claim that he 'refuted' my (purported) debunks of his assertions. So far I heard nothing. Maybe he "Forgot".

Old 06-05-2019, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
you think mystic is out to "just rule over" this forum? when he clearly does not (think or behave)? wow.

you go put forth in that section that we need to obscure some science notions because some theist may use it and make atheism harder to sell.

see what ya get.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I've asked him to substantiate his claim that he 'refuted' my (purported) debunks of his assertions. So far I heard nothing. Maybe he "Forgot".
total misrepresentation of his position. you misrepresent his claim just like a Fundy theist misrepresent the theory of evolution.

he has answered you directly every time. I know yo didn't forget his answers ... you intentionally ignored them and inserted what you need to minimize the claim for anti-god agenda.

you change what he said, or deny it, and tell him did not do something that you said he said. at least he is open about his belief and his beliefs short comings.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:16 AM

69 posts, read 9,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
We are part of a larger more complex system. I don't care what they call it so long as the observations match the claim. I have said many times, so long as the observations can be repeated they are more valid than those that can't. they call it whatever they like. We can be part of a larger more complex system and a dude didn't die and rise for our sins.

people that can't accept that are just short sighted.

Many christian's can't explain it, thats why i often tell them they have some of the traits wrong. or, if they say something like "you don't know if I am wrong.", I answer with the fact that what I offer has an explanation, mechanism, and makes predictions, so its just more valid at this point.

that's all i say really.
Then you are not saying much beyond supper trivial.
Yes, we (smaller systems) are part of Universe (a larger more complex system).
Our observations obviously match this claim. This claim has an explanation, mechanism, and makes predictions. Very true.
But, if you insist that this is your claim, ("I answer with the fact that what I offer..."), then you are just Captain Obvious. A third grader would be hard pressed to find "what you have to offer" in any way original or profound.

And then another deepity

Quote:
I haven't met one rational rational christian that degrees with me. We can coexist just fine. That's why they are leaving the religion, it just makes sense to offer a counter claim instead of just telling they are wrong without offering a counter claim.
What are you talking about? Who are you talking about?
Who is "just telling...without offering,,,"?

And then from another post

Quote:
"you go put forth in that section that we need to obscure some science notions because some theist may use it and make atheism harder to sell"
What science needs to be obscure for the sake of atheism?
How not obscured science can be "used" by theists?
Who is selling atheism and why it needs to be sold?

What is your position on a subject?
Are you a theist, deist, atheist?

Not that I care all that much, but without knowing where you are coming from, none of you are saying makes much sense.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Our observations obviously match this claim. This claim has an explanation, mechanism, and makes predictions. Very true.
But, if you insist that this is your claim, ("I answer with the fact that what I offer..."), then you are just Captain Obvious. A third grader would be hard pressed to find "what you have to offer" in any way original or profound.

And then another deepity

Not that I care all that much, but without knowing where you are coming from, none of you are saying makes much sense.
you are right, I offer nothing profound. I offer nothing but common sense. common sense tells me the truth is probably between my-god-only and anti-god. That is obvious to me too. Its not special. and you are right again. I saw it it in the third grade.

the science data shows that to be the case.

the question is, why don't the knuckle heads on both sides see it too?

Old 06-05-2019, 05:02 PM

4,226 posts, read 2,589,918 times
Quote:

And then another deepity

Some may think it needs to be sold in order for others to embrace evolution and/or same-sex relations, THERE'S NO GOD! NOW, WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE FOR NOT EMBRACING IT!!!

Old 06-05-2019, 05:05 PM

40,034 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Some may think it needs to be sold in order for others to embrace evolution and/or same-sex relations, THERE'S NO GOD! NOW, WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE FOR NOT EMBRACING IT!!!
There is no basis for your positive claim of no God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality