U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 10:50 AM

10,406 posts, read 12,667,603 times

Advertisements

It's not just Billy Graham but evangelical Christianity in general. Before the Civil Rights era the churches were more mainline. You can't separate the two from each other.

It was also the gospel church influence spreading to white churches. How many white liberals would ever set foot in a black church? Rock and roll has always had gospel influence. Elvis Presley. Little Richard. After that it just spreads out even larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 11:17 AM

22,052 posts, read 10,266,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Positive Christianity incorporates existing science as I do or it is negative Christianity that violates what we know to be true about our Reality.
Fine, but that's not what the thread is about.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:07 PM

19,650 posts, read 19,762,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Signs are cheap.

I used to belong to an urban congregation where the pastor had said, "Nobody in this congregation need ever worry about having food to eat, clothes to wear, or a place to sleep--and everyone is free to join."

That same pastor provided confidential safe houses for abused wives, where the "Security Ministry" would go in while the husband was away, move the woman and children to the safe house, and a team of men including member police, counselors, and more burly Security Ministry men would wait for the husband to return.

"Who are you? Where is my wife?"
"Our dear sister is safe. She will remain safe. But we are going to talk, because we won't tolerate what you're doing to her."
Very commendable and a fine example of 'doing' not just 'talking'

Old 06-01-2019, 01:15 PM

2,259 posts, read 2,130,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Clackamas Oregon is hardly the heart of the Bible Belt. It might as well be a branch of San Francisco's Church of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence as far as bible belters are concerned.
When I was in WeHo and Orange County, our church did events with the Sisters. They are an incredible charitable organisation and raise thousands of dollars every year for different groups. To top it off they are an absolute blast.

Now I have to find the pics of me leading a prayer with a sister and another being flanked by several after a community event.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:41 PM

19,774 posts, read 11,029,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Signs may be cheap. But messages can change perspectives. All the great leaders (and the not so great) know that. MLK knew it -- "I have a dream" was a message that changed things immensely.
It wasn't by his pulpit message that MLK changed things in the US. Lots of people made speeches. His speech about his dream was meaningful because of actions on the street to make his dream a reality.

It was his actions that made the difference.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Most people will never acknowledge Billy Graham's role in the Civil Rights movement and his inspiration for MLK. They would rather choose to believe the secular fairy tale.
Or Charleton Heston's!

Old 06-01-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's not just Billy Graham but evangelical Christianity in general. Before the Civil Rights era the churches were more mainline. You can't separate the two from each other.

It was also the gospel church influence spreading to white churches. How many white liberals would ever set foot in a black church? Rock and roll has always had gospel influence. Elvis Presley. Little Richard. After that it just spreads out even larger.
In the south, the white congregations and the black congregations were pretty much the opposing staging grounds for their confrontations in the streets. The Southern Baptist Convention was created for the explicit purpose of keeping black people subjugated.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:21 PM

22,052 posts, read 10,266,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It wasn't by his pulpit message that MLK changed things in the US. Lots of people made speeches. His speech about his dream was meaningful because of actions on the street to make his dream a reality.

It was his actions that made the difference.
Why are you arguing with me?

Old 06-01-2019, 03:43 PM

15,123 posts, read 11,998,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Fine, but that's not what the thread is about.
I saw the correlation.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:54 PM

39,765 posts, read 26,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I saw the correlation.
Thanks, Miss H.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality