U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-11-2019, 09:06 PM
 
5,916 posts, read 2,286,203 times
Reputation: 2221

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Perhaps the Label Christian is skewing perceptions unnecessarily. I personally sense the presence I encountered some 50 years ago continuously every day. I am never without it. I refuse to assume that I am some special person or that that presence is not equally available to everyone especially given my attitudes and behaviors in the 30+ years prior to my encounter. If you are honest with yourself and sincerely try to "be quiet and know God is there," do you really NOT sense any presence at all? I simply would not know what to make of it if most of you don't.
No I have never sensed that feeling. Not once. If you have it doesn't make it either true or universal. Surely with the amount you have posted on the A&A forum you should be well aware that your experience and feelings are definitely not universal. And like it or not that is my honest thoughts on your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2019, 09:20 PM
 
40,043 posts, read 26,725,598 times
Reputation: 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Perhaps the Label Christian is skewing perceptions unnecessarily. I personally sense the presence I encountered some 50 years ago continuously every day. I am never without it. I refuse to assume that I am some special person or that that presence is not equally available to everyone especially given my attitudes and behaviors in the 30+ years prior to my encounter. If you are honest with yourself and sincerely try to "be quiet and know God is there," do you really NOT sense any presence at all? I simply would not know what to make of it if most of you don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No I have never sensed that feeling. Not once. If you have it doesn't make it either true or universal. Surely with the amount you have posted on the A&A forum, you should be well aware that your experience and feelings are definitely not universal. And like it or not that is my honest thoughts on your question.
Yes, you are correct. I suspected as much and still do not know what to make of it. I am mostly saddened by it and non-plussed. It is the only thing that undermines my belief in Universalism. It brings up the specter that a failure to nourish our embryo Spirit properly might result in an inadequate investment of life energy and the subsequent "spiritual miscarriage or abortion." The eternal prospects of either cannot be too appealing. It is distressing to contemplate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 02:01 AM
 
39,034 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Reputation: 5082
Frankly, I don't miss it a bit. Give me rational humanism any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 AM
 
13,476 posts, read 4,986,806 times
Reputation: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Frankly, I don't miss it a bit. Give me rational humanism any day.
translation ...

"Give me a list on what to belief and how to describe how the universe works"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,310 posts, read 10,335,973 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
But, I cracked that proverbial door and just considered…maybe, maybe…there was a God. When I did, I didn’t see a flash of lightening, I didn’t hear a booming voice…but, a process started and the rest is history. I’ve never been the same. I no longer needed proof positive. It was truly a supernatural transformation.
Did you know that it works the same if you want Oberon to exist and you go looking for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:25 AM
 
13,476 posts, read 4,986,806 times
Reputation: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Heela,

Ok, now that was one of the most clear, articulate and well-spoken notes I’ve seen directed to me. Well done. And, I truly appreciate you taking the time to share that. Yes, seriously so.

I get what you say. I’ve shared previously that I was somewhat in the same camp in days gone by. IF there was a God, I wanted no part of what He was selling. I was quite arrogant and conceited. I needed no such crutch.

To keep it short…my life changed. Circumstances changed. And, it brought me to a point where I reconsidered this “God Thing”. It was very tentative…I mean VERY tentative. I didn’t jump in the river…I barely put a toe in. And, I admit, even that scared the dickens out of me.

But, I cracked that proverbial door and just considered…maybe, maybe…there was a God. When I did, I didn’t see a flash of lightening, I didn’t hear a booming voice…but, a process started and the rest is history. I’ve never been the same. I no longer needed proof positive. It was truly a supernatural transformation.

Now, that’s just one reason I respect anybody that says, “If I can’t see it, I can’t believe it…” or any variation of that proof/evidence stance. That’s one reason I won’t argue or ridicule. Proof with no evidence truly is one of those “been there done that” places for me. I have not forgotten from whence I’ve come.

All I hope for is…that someone will do like I did. Maybe they’re in a place in their life where they’ll just “crack the door” and consider a possibility they may have never considered before. As I’ve often said, I just bring the message of hope, but it’s up to the Spirit to do the convincing. But, He will only knock on that door; He’ll not kick it in.

All right…enough. Be well. All best.
for some of us its not about god or no god only.

its about describing "what are the traits of this thing you call god."

I hate to over use the word "some" and "balance" ... but its like over using the wheel. ...

Some of us, in fact most of us atheist, only say some of things you claim line up with observation and other things you claim do not.

how do you talk to your fundy think theist friends? the ones that are too literal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:44 AM
 
4,226 posts, read 2,591,307 times
Reputation: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that is true for many of us.

But then again, most of us don't participate in "live discussions" on these topics in "real life".
That's why I don't understand the need of some to pressure/guilt posters into individual paradigms instead of listening/learning about what's all out there.

No posters should be browbeaten into submission over what someone else has supposedly experienced or might experience as if there is no law of the land.

If a poster feels her/his family is too or has been too religious just sue 'em and get it over with... don't bring the drama to someone else' door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Manchester,England
15 posts, read 1,765 times
Reputation: 20
I was a little concerned about one of Queen801's earlier posts about proselytizing. If you can't go on a religion/spirituality forum to discuss matters of faith without being told you are only proselytizing then it is a worrying development. I can well appreciate talking about such matters on a purely secular forum, but on a forum such as this then you should be able to discuss prophecy etc, some people may learn things and as mature adults agree to disagree on some matters. Sadly my internet time is limited and so I can't always answer any comments straight away. I just hope that everyone will always feel free in the context of this particular forum to discuss such matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 05:28 AM
 
4,226 posts, read 2,591,307 times
Reputation: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN600 View Post
I was a little concerned about one of Queen801's earlier posts about proselytizing. If you can't go on a religion/spirituality forum to discuss matters of faith without being told you are only proselytizing then it is a worrying development. I can well appreciate talking about such matters on a purely secular forum, but on a forum such as this then you should be able to discuss prophecy etc, some people may learn things and as mature adults agree to disagree on some matters. Sadly my internet time is limited and so I can't always answer any comments straight away. I just hope that everyone will always feel free in the context of this particular forum to discuss such matters.
The forum titles are misleading. The forums are mostly dedicated to secularism and the impact religion/spirituality has on that worldview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
Reputation: 23202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN600 View Post
I was a little concerned about one of Queen801's earlier posts about proselytizing. If you can't go on a religion/spirituality forum to discuss matters of faith without being told you are only proselytizing then it is a worrying development. I can well appreciate talking about such matters on a purely secular forum, but on a forum such as this then you should be able to discuss prophecy etc, some people may learn things and as mature adults agree to disagree on some matters. Sadly my internet time is limited and so I can't always answer any comments straight away. I just hope that everyone will always feel free in the context of this particular forum to discuss such matters.
I believe I am correct in saying that proselytizing is only forbidden in the A&A forum, not in this one.
I accept being wrong if told otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top