U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:45 AM

22,453 posts, read 10,395,261 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

My health is not your business. Period. Unless I choose to make it your business.

If I trusted in faith for healing, then I don't need to get the gift from you.
And if I don't trust it...then I don't want it.

Faith/religion is a personal thing. Mind your own business.

I don't know why this concept is so difficult for religionists to understand. My business is not your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:12 PM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
I can tellyou, CasualVisitor, how great it is to be without religion.You want to have atheists approach you and preach all about it?
Notice, I didn't say debate or have a discussion about the pros and cons...just come up to you someday and offer to 'help' you and try to tell you how wonderful it is? How bad I feel about you wasting so much of your life worrying about your soul?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:21 PM

106 posts, read 26,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Then it is absolutely your duty to have your convictions tested.

By expecting your beliefs to be taken at your word you are essentially admitting defeat because you don't trust that they would stand up to scrutiny. This may sound counter-intuitive to you but consider all those people, that perhaps require a little bit more convincing, that you could potentially save if only you could allow your "cure" to be rigorously tested. Imagine having your beliefs validated and endorsed by experts and made public, how many more people would then be open to swallowing your "pill". Until then, however, all you are doing is betting on a Pascal's Wager and taking an easy way out.
It feels like I repeat the same thing to you?

I have had my convictions tested...greatly so. I come from a background of rejection of these same convictions. I never deemed that I'd ever partake of this pill...it was not to my liking nor my taste.

Yet, how wrong I was.

Now, is my scrutiny sufficient for you? Maybe not and again---that's your choice and right. I don't automatically expect you'll take my word. I bring the message and it's out of my hands. But, bring the message I will.

Expert validation? That depends on your definition of the word expert. There are those that are greatly learned and educated that DO endorse just as there are those that do not. You've just got to listen to the expert you choose to listen to.

Pascal's wager? It's a 50/50 question. Either God exists or He doesn't. And, my position of belief is not necessarily easy. The Spirit wars against the flesh, the flesh wars against the Spirit. My flesh tells me there is no God...my Spirit says otherwise. Yes, there is a battle to be fought on this field. Easy...it is not.

Anyway, I'm rambling too long.
You've made your choice. I respect that, I wish you well. You've made your points rationally and fairly. I could not ask for more.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I can tellyou, CasualVisitor, how great it is to be without religion.You want to have atheists approach you and preach all about it?
Notice, I didn't say debate or have a discussion about the pros and cons...just come up to you someday and offer to 'help' you and try to tell you how wonderful it is? How bad I feel about you wasting so much of your life worrying about your soul?
Old...I don't worry about my soul. I'm convinced it's secure in Christ.

As to an atheist approach me? Would I be offended? No, in ALL honesty, I wouldn't. We might have a great, respectful conversation. Maybe we'd walk away unchanged...but, that's life. Equally, on that point, if I chose to not engage in discussion...I'd have no problem with them as long as they respected my decision.

I close with your opening...I can tell you, old_cold, how great it is to walk in Christ..there is no drug in the world that can compare.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To the OP:

My health is not your business. Period. Unless I choose to make it your business.

If I trusted in faith for healing, then I don't need to get the gift from you.
And if I don't trust it...then I don't want it.

Faith/religion is a personal thing. Mind your own business.

I don't know why this concept is so difficult for religionists to understand. My business is not your business.
Oh my goodness Phetaroi...how else can I say it?

If you would choose to die (in context of the analogy) , so be it!

And, yes, by all means...have whatever faith/religion, or the lack thereof, that you desire. I have no ill will towards you as you seem to have towards me.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:28 PM

413 posts, read 80,448 times
During the Inquisition some people were convinced that "if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." They believed it with such conviction that they could reconcile their faith with the most appalling torture of the sinners. And why not? After all, a little pain in this life, which could potentially save a soul, is nothing compared to the eternal damnation of hell fires.

Can you think of any cure, no matter how good or heinous, that a simple conviction couldn't justify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I have had my convictions tested...greatly so.
If that were true, why are you so ready to admit that your convictions could be wrong?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 PM

5,661 posts, read 2,867,508 times
I've seen the 'power of this pill' in full action. I have this white little box next to my bed containing the proof.
Rest in peace my son.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 PM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I close with your opening...I can tell you, old_cold, how great it is to walk in Christ..there is no drug in the world that can compare.
For you, that's great. Enjoy. But all "drugs" have side effects that affect different people in different ways.
For some, they're not just bothersome but downright deadly.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post

If that were true, why are you so ready to admit that your convictions could be wrong?
Because I'm human. I have a brain (albeit it some would say I am either lacking in that department or refuse to utilize it)

I have questions. I can't see Jesus, I can't touch Him...so, sure, there's a constant battle going on. Yeah, As the father told Jesus...I believe, forgive my unbelief.

Plus, I'm a naturally agreeable person for the most part. I am willing to see the other guy's point of view. I think it's only fair.

But, when all is said and done...in the end...I'm convinced in the truth of Christ. I totally stake my life on it.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I've seen the 'power of this pill' in full action. I have this white little box next to my bed containing the proof.
Rest in peace my son.
*chuckles* I know of what you speak...oh, yeah...
Yet, all I can say is...that pill wears off eventually. It's a temporary thing.

*nods* Equally back to you...rest in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or