U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:47 PM

106 posts, read 26,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
For you, that's great. Enjoy. But all "drugs" have side effects that affect different people in different ways.
For some, they're not just bothersome but downright deadly.
*nods* As it is spoken old_cold...I hear you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:53 PM

413 posts, read 80,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
But, when all is said and done...in the end...I'm convinced in the truth of Christ. I totally stake my life on it.
And that's totally fine. I too have some unorthodox convictions that others might be critical about. But we've now come back to where we started - just because we are convinced of something doesn't mean those convictions are justified.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:55 PM

22,453 posts, read 10,395,261 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness Phetaroi...how else can I say it?

If you would choose to die (in context of the analogy) , so be it!

And, yes, by all means...have whatever faith/religion, or the lack thereof, that you desire. I have no ill will towards you as you seem to have towards me.
Once again we see the incredible ego of christians.

Honestly, what percentage of Americans who are not christians don't know the basics of christianity and prayer, etc. It surrounds us constantly. We get it. We see it in movies. It's nothing we don't know...particularly those of us who were christians and dropped out. But you have the ego to think you know better.

And we're going to -- apparently -- suffer through a series of "what if" situations as you grasp to have us say yes.

The answer is no.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
And that's totally fine. I too have some unorthodox convictions that others might be critical about. But we've now come back to where we started - just because we are convinced of something doesn't mean those convictions are justified.
So be it...we all might have our own convictions about whatever (Take the Chicago Cub baseball dynasty delusion that is held by many...no, on second thought, let us not talk about them....)

Itzpapalotl....you seem like a decent person. You've presented your points, I've presented mine.

My hope for you is that one day, you'll be convinced of the conviction I speak of. Of course, you may speak likewise to me.

Until that day...I wish you well. I truly do. My you be blessed and have a great, great life.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Once again we see the incredible ego of christians.

Honestly, what percentage of Americans who are not christians don't know the basics of christianity and prayer, etc. It surrounds us constantly. We get it. We see it in movies. It's nothing we don't know...particularly those of us who were christians and dropped out. But you have the ego to think you know better.

And we're going to -- apparently -- suffer through a series of "what if" situations as you grasp to have us say yes.

The answer is no.
Ok...I told you...I accept your no. If I really had "ego" about this, you've firmly put me in my place. Repeatedly.

And, As I just told the guy that I cannot spell his name without looking back....man, I wish you well. I sincerely do. I hold no animosity towards you. Live long and prosper...(Vulcan sign)

Old 06-08-2019, 01:17 PM

413 posts, read 80,448 times
Quote:
So be it...we all might have our own convictions about whatever (Take the Chicago Cub baseball dynasty delusion that is held by many...no, on second thought, let us not talk about them....)

Itzpapalotl....you seem like a decent person. You've presented your points, I've presented mine.

My hope for you is that one day, you'll be convinced of the conviction I speak of. Of course, you may speak likewise to me.

Until that day...I wish you well. I truly do. My you be blessed and have a great, great life.
Thank you. I too am not blind to your good intentions and appreciate the courtesy you have shown in your responses.

I see no reason to expect others to share in my convictions. My opinions are rather inconsequential. You asked an interesting question, which I was happy to comment on. If you decide to come back to our discussion or answer my other question about justifying convictions I'd relish the opportunity to resume our discussion. If not then it's all good and I wish you well.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:23 PM

5,916 posts, read 2,286,203 times
Would you still offer this pill to someone you know is of another religion? Or was a former Christian? Are you aware that it is possibly impossible to live in North America and not have already had someone trying to convince them that they should believe in this or that religion?

Surely you must know bt now that the reason a person is not a Christian is other than a lack of exposure to that religiin.

Myself I grew up in a time when the Lord's Prayer was said every morning and a reading of the Bible after lunch (in public school), have attended church services, got matted in a church and have attended both weddings and funerals in a church and was coached in minor hockey and baseball by the local Catholic priest. If none of that turned me into a Christian then why do you think a sharing from you will make the difference?

Just not sure the whys or the pill analogy. My father took a lot of pills in his life, he never turned religious the last year he knew he was dying or the 18 hours he laid on the beach in Normandy unable to walk or crawl.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:29 PM

22,453 posts, read 10,395,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Would you still offer this pill to someone you know is of another religion? Or was a former Christian? Are you aware that it is possibly impossible to live in North America and not have already had someone trying to convince them that they should believe in this or that religion?

Surely you must know bt now that the reason a person is not a Christian is other than a lack of exposure to that religiin.

Myself I grew up in a time when the Lord's Prayer was said every morning and a reading of the Bible after lunch (in public school), have attended church services, got matted in a church and have attended both weddings and funerals in a church and was coached in minor hockey and baseball by the local Catholic priest. If none of that turned me into a Christian then why do you think a sharing from you will make the difference?

Just not sure the whys or the pill analogy. My father took a lot of pills in his life, he never turned religious the last year he knew he was dying or the 18 hours he laid on the beach in Normandy unable to walk or crawl.
The christian ego seems to say that you are dumb, we are smart. Do what we tell you.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:31 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
CV,

The problem is that the pill you believe in cannot be proven. It isn't that you have a pill that you believe will cure all things, rather you have an imaginary pill that you believe will cure an imaginary disease.

Until and unless you can provide compelling evidence for god (specifically your Christian god, the soul, sin, judgment, and an afterlife, your 'pill', or 'pizza' is simply a non-existent thing itself.

It is a bit like the wurflebarg virus remedy. It is really, really, really dangerous to catch the wurflebarg virus. You really don't want it. Trust me. But I know, I really truly believe with all my heart that I know how you can avoid the wurflebarg virus. You simply have to have to do the correct things, just as I tell you. It is important that you do it, but if you choose not to, that is ok by me, but I will be sad when you fall to the wurflebarg virus.

Do you find that compelling in the least? Or do I sound just a bit daft?

Old 06-08-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Badlander...first, and this is not a ploy to gain your favor, your father and his service...wow, how indebted I am to him.

Ok, ...simply put. I'd offer this to anybody...their past, or their current life would make no matter. If God can change me He can change anybody.

The pill analogy was just an attempt (be it effective or not) to illustrate my heart set. Just as I would attempt to reach out to a friend that is physically dying, so to would I do likewise spiritually. As I stated, if I didn't at least try...I'd never forgive myself.

After that? I think I made it clear...it's out of my hands. I don't consider myself to be the "force" that could change anybody's life. But, I do think the message can.

Still, when all is said and done, I say again...it's up to the individual to accept or reject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or